Errors While Trying To Copy Dvd's Using Sonic Record Now

gracie

Question

I have been having problems copying DVD's for a couple of months. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 (2004), Pentium 4, Windows XP Professional with Sonic My DVD Deluxe with Record Now. The system started out with one Samsung SD-616E HH 16X DVD (Rom drive) in one drive spot and another TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E burner. I record DVD's from a DVD recorder connected to my TV & satellite dish. Then I copy those on my computer, using the CD/DVD Rom to play and the burner to record. For at least 2-3 years, I had no problems--only an occasional coaster made. However, within the last couple of months, I have had problems. I downloaded firmware for the Samsung. It made no difference. It came to a point when I could not even read a CD or DVD or ROMs on the Samsung, so I replaced it with a SONY CRX320EE (OEM) CD/DVD Rom Drive (also burns CD's). Then I could read and play on this drive, but I still had problems burning DVD's on the other drive. I wondered whether it was playing them good enough for transfer. Sometimes some DVD’s would not play on the computer with this drive. Other times, it would. Sometimes I can burn one just fine. But many other times, it stops--often after it has already burned almost the entire disc. Then it stops. I have researched on various sites to see what could be the problem. I reinstalled the driver that came with DELL system. According to my computer, there was no update to my driver. I thought maybe the DVD burner was bad, so I replaced it with a Phillips SPD2413BM/17 (OEM) that will copy DVD+R 20x speed burner. I still have the same problem. I got a stack of Verbatim and thought maybe it was the brand--but I have tried various brands, including Memorex and SONY. I thought it might be scratches on the DVD's I was trying to copy, but newly recorded ones also did the same thing.

I have checked various blogs and heard about possibly do I need firmware? I am not sure what firmware is, but I suspected it might be an update to a driver--but could not find anything that seemed like it would work for me. I heard that maybe one of the Windows XP updates might be causing the problem and there is a hotfix--but cannot be certain so do not want to chance it if that is not the problem. I gamble on the fact that it does not always happen and tried again to copy a DVD. Then when it happened that last time, I noticed that I could get more details. When searching on this site, I found another person that had the same exact issue.

[keshav taparia Dec 17 2007, 08:16 AM at http://forums.support.roxio.com/lofiversio...php/t32317.html] But I did not know how to post my issue in the same forum and there was no answer to his issue yet.

Sometimes it stops immediately. When the burning stops, I get a message that "there has been a problem burning.... and to retry or but in a blank disk." If I retry--it stops again with the same message. If I put in a new one, the same thing happens. I have lots of coasters! I thought that maybe something going on behind the scenes on my computer was interfering making it stop. Now I turned off all automatic updates and everything that I know of so that nothing else is running when I am making a copy. Maybe there are other things going on that are hidden--I don't know. I have tried everything. What could be the problem?

I get these error codes:

px.dll: 4.0.36.500

pxafs.dll: 4.0.36.500

pxdrv.dll: 1.2.9.0

pxmas.dll: 4.0.36.500

pxsfs.dll: 4.0.36.500

pxwave.dll: 4.0.36.500

pxwma.dll: 1.0.0.3

HELP!!!!!!!

I would appreciate any suggestions or assistance that anyone can give me. I am at a loss. I have no way of telling if it is in the hardware. When I check my system0—it always says that the hardware is operating correctly. I have changed the drives—same things happen. I really think it is something in the software system and am not sure how to correct it.

2 answers to this question

PROBLEM WITH SONIC RECORD NOW

I wrote in on 07-08-08, but can't find my post now. I have a Dell Deimension computer pruchased in April 2004. For a couple of years I had no problems. then I started having problems copying DVD's. It appeared that the top CD ROM drive was bad (would not read dvd's or CD's. So I replaced it. Then I still got errors for copying DVD's. I like to make backups because they are a bit delicate and some can't be played once they get scratched. I have no problems copying CD's.

So, I then thought maybe the bottom drive (CD/DVD burner) was bad --so I replaced it. I tried getting the new firmware for Record Now, etc. I can't remember everything now. I searched on a lot of the websites and blogs, with no solutions. Some people mentioned that that windows updates may have caused some problems. I suspected that maybe an update maybe corrupted something--so I reinstalled the drivers.

It is possible that I am getting errors from electonic quirks in my DVD recorder (connected to my tv). Perhaps that is causing the reading errors. But I can't be sure.

I keep getting these messages (I will list below)-- but I have not gotten anyone to respond and tell me what this means. I have noe filled by hardrive as I do a lot of photography. So I may be getting a new harddrive.

I would like to know what would be a better program to install in the new harddrive so that I can begin backing up my DVD's again.

I haven't tried to remove Record Now as I don;t have a replacement and it does work for CD's or VCDs.

I found these error messages but have no idea what they mean?

If you or anyone can can give me any advice, I would appreciate it.

Gracie

I did a search and ended up here about dell and sonic. Let me set a foundation so it is understood the entire scenario. (you know like your first trip to the doctor)..ok

i bought this dell computer 5 years ago, (am buying a new one ((Maybe)) next year). 3 times while under warranty my cd/dvd drive has been replaced by dell (it was under warranty).. Dell explained to me that because i am a photographer, well that was why i needed a new cd player/burner. so in the last year when the cd burner (4th time), died, i found a place and they put in a new cd.dvd drive. After about 20 burns it no longer burns or reads my cds. It still plays dvds, so what has been diagnozed is this...........

sonic, roxio were to be removed, yes roxio was but sonic cant be as of yet. I had a geek come over and tried, tried to get rid of sonic and it just couldnt be done.. so SIGH, the next step is reformatting my computer.

i sure hope i can answer any of your questions (if you have them)...........sincerely NICOLE

I was told onece it was dust and that is not the case...............

PS

To Clarify--I am trying to copy DVD's (backups) that I record on my DVD recorder (no computer) connected to my tv. I had no problems up until avout a year ago. Sometimes it copioes almost the full DVD and then stops. I have heard that slowing the speed might help, but I don;t see an option for that. Also, I got another program (I am not allowed to mention the name of it on this site), that would allow me to copy the DVd to my harddrive. That way I can see if an error shows up before I waste a disk (I have made a lot of coasters). Sometimes the first movie is ok, but errors occur in the second one. Yet, I don't know which files to copy onto a disk so that it will play back in my DVD recorder/player. Anyway, I can't copy DVD's with Record Now anymore.

Gracie

PROBLEM WITH SONIC RECORD NOW

I wrote in on 07-08-08, but can't find my post now. I have a Dell Deimension computer pruchased in April 2004. For a couple of years I had no problems. then I started having problems copying DVD's. It appeared that the top CD ROM drive was bad (would not read dvd's or CD's. So I replaced it. Then I still got errors for copying DVD's. I like to make backups because they are a bit delicate and some can't be played once they get scratched. I have no problems copying CD's.

So, I then thought maybe the bottom drive (CD/DVD burner) was bad --so I replaced it. I tried getting the new firmware for Record Now, etc. I can't remember everything now. I searched on a lot of the websites and blogs, with no solutions. Some people mentioned that that windows updates may have caused some problems. I suspected that maybe an update maybe corrupted something--so I reinstalled the drivers.

It is possible that I am getting errors from electonic quirks in my DVD recorder (connected to my tv). Perhaps that is causing the reading errors. But I can't be sure.

I keep getting these messages (I will list below)-- but I have not gotten anyone to respond and tell me what this means. I have noe filled by hardrive as I do a lot of photography. So I may be getting a new harddrive.

I would like to know what would be a better program to install in the new harddrive so that I can begin backing up my DVD's again.

I haven't tried to remove Record Now as I don;t have a replacement and it does work for CD's or VCDs.

I found these error messages but have no idea what they mean?

If you or anyone can can give me any advice, I would appreciate it.

Gracie

:blink: HELP!!!!!!!

I wrote a long detailed blog on April 9 : :o but no response. So I am making it somewhat shorter. (refer to the older one if need more details or ask me questions).

I have been having problems copying DVD's for a couple of months. I record DVDs from a DVD recorder (Magnavox) attached to my TV and make copies from my computer. I did not have problems for about the first 1 ½ to 2 years. The started making coasters. Sometime sit works and sometimes it goes almost all the way and stops, saying there was “a problem...” I have tried various brands of discs—don’t think that is the problem.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 (2004), Pentium 4, Windows XP Professional, using Sonic (now Roxio) Record Now Deluxe for Dell (v 6) for burning.

Names of drives in my first post (long version)—but I don’t think it makes any difference as I changed them to new drives and have the same problem. The latest burner is Phillips 20x DVD + RW/ CD, etc. Combo burner OEM SPD2413BM/17. I have tried several solutions, including upgrading the Sonic px engine suggested in another blog, but no difference. seen mention of changing speeds to a lower speed, but I don’t see an option for that in Record Now program. I installed DVD Decrypter and tried to copy to Hardrive, but it still stopped a point and got more error messages.

It does seem to be a “reading error.” I don’t know what this means. What cannot read the file? Could there be some other software or hardware or controllers causing the problem? . I have no way of telling if it is in the hardware. When I check my system—it always says that the hardware is operating correctly. Or could a code put in by the original DVD recorder be at fault? I am suspecting that there may be issues from some of Windows updates or other programs interfering. Can’t prove it though.

I get these error codes:

I would appreciate any suggestions or assistance that anyone can give me. I am at a loss.

:unsure: HELP!!!!!!!

Archived