• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Swanni: 5 More Hdtv Predictions For 2008

cdanteek

I don't think #5 will happen any time soon soon there is no more competition. Unless the US economy gets better really soon, the only way they will sell Blu-ray players will be at a loss just to sell movies.

Once China starts manufacturing them, the price will come down fast..

cd

• 1 month later...
I'm waiting for China to start making HD DVD again. I don' think Sony will ever allow China to produce Blu-ray. At least not in the near future.

$298 Blu-ray players spotted at Wal-Mart

How about Funai is a Japanese company with manufacturing factories in China.

- Magnavox NB500MG9 (Status: starting to show up at Walmarts for $298 or $288)

- Sylvania NB500SL9 (Status: multiple e'tailers, e.g, Amazon, are taking pre-orders)

- Emerson (Status: ?)

- Insignia (Status: Expected soon at Best Buy)

- Pye (Status: ? at Circuit City)

cd

$298 Blu-ray players spotted at Wal-Mart

The problem I see is that the vast majority of people out there are pretty content w/ standard DVD players and they last, so why "fix" something that ain't broken w/ a Blu-ray? I think it'll be years before even 1/4 of the people who currently have DVD players will go out & buy a bluray for themselves. Maybe as gifts for others, but....

If anyone can recall the original optical discs (Philips LaserDiscs) which were 12 inch diamater - they proved to be so 'popular' that they wound up bundling the players free if you bought 3 movies to play on them :lol:

I still have one of those :blink: .It's put away in a closet somewhere but I did use it fairly recently to import a couple movies from it to put on DVD.Mine was made by Mitsubishi.

I want to get a Blue-Ray player but at current costs it just doesn't make sense.

If I can watch a movie at 1920x1080 instead of 720x480 then I'm all for it.

That's why I hardly ever watch a TV show that's not in HD.The lowest resolution on satellite is 480i (640x480) which is just a bit worse than a DVD.

You can even tell the difference between a 720(1280x720) picture and a 1080(1920x1080) one.

I want to be able to see movies at the best resolution possible at the lowest price possible.

Until cost/unit comes down I think people will be satisfied with a standard DVD but once the price structure shifts downward I think people will migrate in droves.I know I will.

I still have one of those :blink: .It's put away in a closet somewhere but I did use it fairly recently to import a couple movies from it to put on DVD.Mine was made by Mitsubishi.

Maybe I'll give you my brother's address and you guys can swap laser discs! :lol:

Archived