MacRant

Unreliable Multiplexing Eyetv Files In Toast 9 ?

Question

Multiplexing EyeTV in Toast 8 worked well. In 9, I've had problem after problem. SOME files it just won't multiplex.

HD recordings - gets to 50% and won't complete. When you cancel, it stops responding.

SD recordings - says there isn't enough room on the disc, although there was when it started.

Takes 10 times longer to multiplex than 8.

Anyone else had these problems? Anyone solved them?

Is Roxio fixing this or do I just ask for a refund.

I'm actually worse off with 9 than I was with 8!!

9 doesn't make BD on DVD that works in any player I've tried. And what previously worked in 8 only works half the time in 9!

How do I safely get rid of 9 and reinstall 8?

Multiplexing EyeTV in Toast 8 worked well. In 9, I've had problem after problem. SOME files it just won't multiplex.

HD recordings - gets to 50% and won't complete. When you cancel, it stops responding.

SD recordings - says there isn't enough room on the disc, although there was when it started.

Takes 10 times longer to multiplex than 8.

Anyone else had these problems? Anyone solved them?

Is Roxio fixing this or do I just ask for a refund.

I'm actually worse off with 9 than I was with 8!!

9 doesn't make BD on DVD that works in any player I've tried. And what previously worked in 8 only works half the time in 9!

How do I safely get rid of 9 and reinstall 8?

I think Roxio folks mentioned in other threads they are aware of problems with some EyeTV files and are working on it. By the way, try exporting from the EyeTV application as Separate streams and then add the video stream to Toast. If the audio has the same name except for the extension Toast will automatically add it. Then see how the multiplexing works in Toast 9.

actually, I switched back to Toast 8 on the weekend. Much faster and much more reliable. Jobs that ran for an hour multiplexing in Toast 9, took a couple of minutes in Toast 8.

I need Toast to clear my hard drive on a daily basis and I don't need it to be a problem. A working Toast has more steps than I'd like. I don't have time for experimenting with exporting streams. 8 does the lowest common denominator job I need it for.

It's disappointing that none of the new features of 9 work for me and I trust that Roxio will get it working eventually.

I'm appalled that what works in 8 is broken in 9. A very bitter experience for me. And a lot of valuable time wasted.

I got the impression that 9.0.2 was generally working, but I find it to be broken in all respects except writing a data disc. And that's just not good enough.

actually, I switched back to Toast 8 on the weekend. Much faster and much more reliable. Jobs that ran for an hour multiplexing in Toast 9, took a couple of minutes in Toast 8.

I need Toast to clear my hard drive on a daily basis and I don't need it to be a problem. A working Toast has more steps than I'd like. I don't have time for experimenting with exporting streams. 8 does the lowest common denominator job I need it for.

It's disappointing that none of the new features of 9 work for me and I trust that Roxio will get it working eventually.

I'm appalled that what works in 8 is broken in 9. A very bitter experience for me. And a lot of valuable time wasted.

I got the impression that 9.0.2 was generally working, but I find it to be broken in all respects except writing a data disc. And that's just not good enough.

As one who has spent a lot of time trying to get Toast 9 working with OS 10.5.2 without much luck I can sympathize.

Could you fill me in on your Mac? Processor/OS, version of EyeTV, if you are using it, and so on? Also, is Bluetooth active on your machine?

Have you experienced any crashes or just the very slow processing?

When your machine goes slowly does it display "Multiplexing (file name)" or does it switch to "Encoding (filename)"?

If it shows "Multiplexing" and then changes to "Encoding" does the progress/scroll bar go back to zero and then proceed very slowly?

What does Activity Monitor show about CPU utilization?

At present I have had to revert to OS 10.4.11, EyeTV 2.5.2 and Toast 7.1.2 to be able to burn DVDs from EyeTV with any degree of success.

I thought that I was on to something when I ran across a post dealing with a Bluetooth issue. I even burned about a dozen DVDs on each of my two machines (using OS 10.5.2/EyeTV 3.0.1/Toast 9.0.2) before things reverted to form and just will not work.

If you have not already done so, may I request that you file a report at https://selfserve.roxio.com so that Roxio gets a better picture of what is going on?

Thanks

Thanks - I too have had symptoms you described - encoding (HD)/multiplexing (SD) issues - and when it fails, CPUs go from 100% to about 10%, but the app doesn't ACTUALLY crash... just hangs and only after I click Cancel, it concedes Not Responding.

As I wrote... all that works better in 8, so I'll stick to that.

I can still use 9 for writing data discs (.eyetv HD files for backup) & I'll use that to check for updates, but I've given up on 9 for now.

I am running Bluetooth for my keyboard and won't be changing that... if it doesn't work, I'll run 8 and ask for a refund if they don't fix it.

Something you mentioned, I can confirm. I'm sure it worked better initially and has actually gotten worse over time (same versions of all software).

I'm running an Al iMac (2.4 Ghz, 4GB RAM), 10.5.2, EyeTV 3.0.1 (3545), Toast 9.0.2.

Toast 8 works well enough, if I keep emptying the Converted Items folder during long sessions.

What I really wanted 9 to do was make Blu-ray HD discs on DVD, that I could read in my BD player. Which fails completely for my player and others I've tried...

I'll have a look at the selfserve page. I'd rather Roxio just ran a list of known issues and fix status instead of discussion forums.

At this stage, it would take all night to list all my problems with 9 and as I've stated... I've spent all the time I'm going to on software unfit for release.

I'd rather Roxio just ran a list of known issues and fix status instead of discussion forums.

don't think any software company would do this.

Thanks - I too have had symptoms you described - encoding (HD)/multiplexing (SD) issues - and when it fails, CPUs go from 100% to about 10%, but the app doesn't ACTUALLY crash... just hangs and only after I click Cancel, it concedes Not Responding.

As I wrote... all that works better in 8, so I'll stick to that.

I can still use 9 for writing data discs (.eyetv HD files for backup) & I'll use that to check for updates, but I've given up on 9 for now.

I am running Bluetooth for my keyboard and won't be changing that... if it doesn't work, I'll run 8 and ask for a refund if they don't fix it.

Something you mentioned, I can confirm. I'm sure it worked better initially and has actually gotten worse over time (same versions of all software).

I'm running an Al iMac (2.4 Ghz, 4GB RAM), 10.5.2, EyeTV 3.0.1 (3545), Toast 9.0.2.

Toast 8 works well enough, if I keep emptying the Converted Items folder during long sessions.

What I really wanted 9 to do was make Blu-ray HD discs on DVD, that I could read in my BD player. Which fails completely for my player and others I've tried...

I'll have a look at the selfserve page. I'd rather Roxio just ran a list of known issues and fix status instead of discussion forums.

At this stage, it would take all night to list all my problems with 9 and as I've stated... I've spent all the time I'm going to on software unfit for release.

If T8 works for you with non-HD EyeTV files I would suggest sticking with it.

I have exceeded my tolerance of T9 and have given up on it. I saw no prospect of it getting "fixed". I am uninstalling it and returning my licenses. I guess that means I need to either get out of Leopard or just keep a Tiger drive for when I want to burn some DVDs from EyeTV files. I do not know what passes for testing at Roxio, but it can not be much.

Good luck

I just tried to burn an EyeTV 3 recoding to a DVD in 9.02. The video has 3 markers (4 chapters) and the burned disc (now a coaster) has only two chapters. Tried the same file with Toast 8.04 and it worked fine. I tried also creating image files with 9.02 and same result - only 2 chapters. I tried both the link directly from EyeTV (which has a Toast button) as well as dragging the EyeTV video file to Toast 9.02 and in ALL cases the resulting DVD image or disc has only 2 chapters. All the same modes work in Toast 8.04. So here is another person that invested in Toast 9 for nothing.

Howard

I just tried to burn an EyeTV 3 recoding to a DVD in 9.02. The video has 3 markers (4 chapters) and the burned disc (now a coaster) has only two chapters. Tried the same file with Toast 8.04 and it worked fine. I tried also creating image files with 9.02 and same result - only 2 chapters. I tried both the link directly from EyeTV (which has a Toast button) as well as dragging the EyeTV video file to Toast 9.02 and in ALL cases the resulting DVD image or disc has only 2 chapters. All the same modes work in Toast 8.04. So here is another person that invested in Toast 9 for nothing.

Howard

Howard,

I gave up on Toast 9.x and returned it. Roxio tech support was unable to provide me with a way to get it to work.

All I can say is that my experience with it was a complete waste of time and effort. It is my opinion that Toast 9 should not have been released and, having been released, should be withdrawn from the market. It simply does not work and showed no signs of ever being made workable. It was the largest disappointment in a long string of disappointments with Roxio.

If you have the option, you may as well return it for a refund.

I believe that Toast 9 is unfit for its intended purpose within the meaning of the relevant portions of the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) and probably constitutes a deceptive trade practice representing it as being capable of performing the advertised operations within the consumer protection statutes of many, if not most, states.

Good Luck

I went and downloaded it and paid for it, and stupidly installed it. I can multiplex o.k. (some of the time), but it gives up when burning, and consequently ruins my recordable DVD. Could someone from Roxio actually own up and Say Something? How long until you've worked out how to make version 9 do what version 8 could do perfectly well?

Wow - I should've read this thread earlier!

I had this exact problem with EyeTV 2.5.2 with Toast 7 - on a MacPro running Tiger 10.4.11, but only when I began attempting to burn discs of SD broadcasts (instead of the older analog broadcasts, which worked fine).

It would appear that the new SD (and presumably HD) broadcasts do not convert at all - with all of the "Encoding" and "Multiplexing" indications, maxed-out processors, and inevitable errors.

No doubt I'm out my $100.00 spent on Toast 9. . .anyone here know where I can purchase Toast 8? I just need something that works...

Thanks!

Wow - I should've read this thread earlier!

I had this exact problem with EyeTV 2.5.2 with Toast 7 - on a MacPro running Tiger 10.4.11, but only when I began attempting to burn discs of SD broadcasts (instead of the older analog broadcasts, which worked fine).

It would appear that the new SD (and presumably HD) broadcasts do not convert at all - with all of the "Encoding" and "Multiplexing" indications, maxed-out processors, and inevitable errors.

No doubt I'm out my $100.00 spent on Toast 9. . .anyone here know where I can purchase Toast 8? I just need something that works...

Thanks!

MegaMue,

I have Toast 7.1.2 working with OS 10.4.11 and EyeTV 2.5.2. The recordings are being made with an EyeTV 200 (Firewire) which is simply serving as an analog to digital converter for the output from the cable company's DVR to my G4. (I can not say as much about Toast 9 and Leopard though.)

I have gathered that Toast can be very particular about some Xvid and other codecs being present or simply can be particular for reasons which I am unable to fathom. Take a look an an earlier post of mine that links two knowledgebase articles. One is a laundry list of things to uninstall and the other deals with two preference files that can be deleted before uninstalling/reinstalling to see if that helps.

Edited to correct link.

Edited by richard_briscoe

Get your refund. You have a limited time to do that. I requested mine today. Given up on all the gyrations support is requesting I do with the end result of 9.02 not burning EyeTV recordings properly and 8.04 works fine.

Follow the threads here and when the issues are resolved you can then buy the upgrade.

Howard

El Gato has just released EyeTV 3.0.2. (EyeTV > Check for Updates). Give it a try and see if it makes any difference. (I no longer have Toast 9 to test with.)

I downloaded and installed EyeTV 3.02. I tried a direct EyeTV to Toast transfer and burn image on the trouble EyeTV file and is still did not work. Then I tried an experiment. I exported the trouble EyeTV file "for toast" from EyeTV first then used 9.02 to create disc image from the exported file and it worked and DID NOT truncate the file as it had been in the past.

Also, I recorded a new program, 1 hour long and tried the direct from EyeTV to Toast image creation and it worked! I am now thinking something in the trouble file is making Toast think it has reached the end of the file and exporting it "for toast" from EyeTV first fixed that. Still puzzled as to why Toast 8.04 worked and Toast 9.02 did not. on this file.

I have asked that my refund request be cancelled. I am sure there is still some underlying issue lurking, but it looks likes the export option might be a work around if I find other EyeTV recordings that cause trouble.

Howard

I downloaded and installed EyeTV 3.02. I tried a direct EyeTV to Toast transfer and burn image on the trouble EyeTV file and is still did not work. Then I tried an experiment. I exported the trouble EyeTV file "for toast" from EyeTV first then used 9.02 to create disc image from the exported file and it worked and DID NOT truncate the file as it had been in the past.

Also, I recorded a new program, 1 hour long and tried the direct from EyeTV to Toast image creation and it worked! I am now thinking something in the trouble file is making Toast think it has reached the end of the file and exporting it "for toast" from EyeTV first fixed that. Still puzzled as to why Toast 8.04 worked and Toast 9.02 did not. on this file.

I have asked that my refund request be cancelled. I am sure there is still some underlying issue lurking, but it looks likes the export option might be a work around if I find other EyeTV recordings that cause trouble.

Howard

Howard,

It is good to hear you were able to save the file. Perhaps exporting the file "for Toast" changed it just enough that Toast no longer perceived a problem with it.

If you would, please try some new recordings and then directly "Toast" them and let us know what happens.

I have always been suspicious that a Toast crash somehow damages a file which will thereafter continue to cause a problem. If there were a "problem" (real or imagined) with a file I would not be surprised that Toast would continue to have trouble with it. As far as "problems" that caused Toast to multiplex a file slowly or drop back into the "encoding" mode (which is also excruciatingly slow) I have no idea. My experience was that once a particular file were to encounter this problem it was likely to continue to encounter it.

Richard

Howard,

It is good to hear you were able to save the file. Perhaps exporting the file "for Toast" changed it just enough that Toast no longer perceived a problem with it.

If you would, please try some new recordings and then directly "Toast" them and let us know what happens.

I have always been suspicious that a Toast crash somehow damages a file which will thereafter continue to cause a problem. If there were a "problem" (real or imagined) with a file I would not be surprised that Toast would continue to have trouble with it. As far as "problems" that caused Toast to multiplex a file slowly or drop back into the "encoding" mode (which is also excruciatingly slow) I have no idea. My experience was that once a particular file were to encounter this problem it was likely to continue to encounter it.

Richard

Richard,

I already recorded 3 new EyeTV (3.02) programs and directly send them to Toast 9.02 from the EyeTV TOAST button. In all cases I created disc images and mounted and played them. I DID NOT burn discs yet, but this has never been an issue for me once I get a correct image. I also set the chapters makers to 10 minutes with no markers embedded in the EyeTV file. By the way do you know what AUTOMATIC does for markers? Also, is there a way to have the Toast Preference for this to be retained. It always defaults back to AUTOMATIC.

It looks like I was not able to stop the refund process for Toast 9. Just got word the refund has been issued. I wrote them to try and reverse this or recharge me since I am keeping the software.

Howard

Richard,

I already recorded 3 new EyeTV (3.02) programs and directly send them to Toast 9.02 from the EyeTV TOAST button. In all cases I created disc images and mounted and played them. I DID NOT burn discs yet, but this has never been an issue for me once I get a correct image. I also set the chapters makers to 10 minutes with no markers embedded in the EyeTV file. By the way do you know what AUTOMATIC does for markers? Also, is there a way to have the Toast Preference for this to be retained. It always defaults back to AUTOMATIC.

It looks like I was not able to stop the refund process for Toast 9. Just got word the refund has been issued. I wrote them to try and reverse this or recharge me since I am keeping the software.

Howard

I am not entirely sure how you are creating chapter markers. Could you explain? I normally just allow whatever the default may have been in earlier versions of Toast.

I am aware that if I forgot to clear the editing markers in EyeTV (at least in earlier versions) I did not get chapters, but that was my error.

Could you also try burning a (one) DVD directly from EyeTV with the "Toast" menu choice?

I am not entirely sure how you are creating chapter markers. Could you explain? I normally just allow whatever the default may have been in earlier versions of Toast.

I am aware that if I forgot to clear the editing markers in EyeTV (at least in earlier versions) I did not get chapters, but that was my error.

Could you also try burning a (one) DVD directly from EyeTV with the "Toast" menu choice?

Richard,

I have created chapter markers in EyeTV and also have let Toast do it for me. For recording that have no commercials I like the latter. If I have to use the editor to remove commercials and the leading and trailing non-program stuff i just leave the markers in as chapter markers. For the EyeTV ones to come through you have to select Automatic chapter markers in Toast. This is done differently in Toast 8 versus Toast 9. For Toast 8 see page 99 of the manual. Toast 8 also allows you to set the Chapter length it creates if you choose to allow Toast to do it. For Toast 9 the setting of Automatic, none, 5, or 10 minutes is done from the Preferences menus on the Video tab.

You want me to do a direct burn of a disc from EyeTV, correct? I have done it by creating an image first, but if you want I will go directly to a disc and let yo know how if it works. Do you want me to keep track of anything during the process? If you want, I could do it to a file you have you want me to try. I can give you an address were you could upload the file on my .Mac account. Let me know.

Howard

Richard,

I have created chapter markers in EyeTV and also have let Toast do it for me. For recording that have no commercials I like the latter. If I have to use the editor to remove commercials and the leading and trailing non-program stuff i just leave the markers in as chapter markers. For the EyeTV ones to come through you have to select Automatic chapter markers in Toast. This is done differently in Toast 8 versus Toast 9. For Toast 8 see page 99 of the manual. Toast 8 also allows you to set the Chapter length it creates if you choose to allow Toast to do it. For Toast 9 the setting of Automatic, none, 5, or 10 minutes is done from the Preferences menus on the Video tab.

You want me to do a direct burn of a disc from EyeTV, correct? I have done it by creating an image first, but if you want I will go directly to a disc and let yo know how if it works. Do you want me to keep track of anything during the process? If you want, I could do it to a file you have you want me to try. I can give you an address were you could upload the file on my .Mac account. Let me know.

Howard

Howard,

Yes, if you would be so kind as to keep an eye on the progress of the "direct burn" and let us know if anything unusual happens...hopefully it will simply burn a good DVD in an appropriate time frame.

Richard

Howard,

Yes, if you would be so kind as to keep an eye on the progress of the "direct burn" and let us know if anything unusual happens...hopefully it will simply burn a good DVD in an appropriate time frame.

Richard

Richard,

I burned directly to disc a 1 hour 3 minute EyeTV (v 3.02) recorded show.

Toast 9.02 -

Multiplex - 1:15

Lead in - 45 seconds

Data - 21:50 (said it would take 5 minutes)

lead out 50 seconds

Disc had 6 chapters 10 minutes each (I requested this via the preferences) No chapters set ahead in EyeTV Editor. Disc played fine.

Toast 8.04

Multiplex - 45 seconds

Lead in 45 seconds

Data - 18:30 (time estimate was 5:05)

Lead Out - 45 seconds

I was not able to set chapters as outlined on page 99 of the Toast 8 manual. No video setting tab appeared. The manual did mention this option was not always available depending on the video file format. The burned disc had chapters every 5 minutes (12 total) with the chapters apparently set automatically. So it looks like one must set ahead in EyeTV Editor the desired chapters if the auto 5 minutes setting is not acceptable. Disc played fine.

Burning the same disc from a 9.02 created disc image. I took 1 minute to multiplex and about 2:30 to create the data image.

Lead-in 50 seconds

Data - 15 minutes (time estimate 5:05)

Lead Out - 50 seconds

So only a slight time advantage with the image route for comparing it to 8:04. I also like this better because you can test the result before wasting a disc.

Looks like sticking with 8.04 is the best bet unless you need one of the newer features of 9:02.

I also have an Apple TV and that part (exporting to Apple TV) appears to work fine with 9.02, but I have not compared it to 8.04 yet. Actually I like Hanbrake of Visual Hub for this better than Toast as you have more control over things.

I hope this helps out.

Howard

Howard,

Thanks for your very detailed report. Yes, going the disc image route takes a bit of extra time, but allows you to check things out before committing it to a disc and seems to avoid some of the crashes & etc that result in "Toasters", especially early on in the software versions in use.

After reading your report I ran a comparison between Toast 7.1.3 (which I finally got to run on Leopard) and Toast 8.0.4 with the same file. It was a 2:07:42 long movie (4.0 GB) recorded with EyeTV 3.0.2. Prior to the test it had been my impression has been that 7.1.3 is a bit faster (especially in the multiplexing) as it does not seem to make the WindowServer process and the Dock process use up as much CPU capacity as 8.0.4 does, but here are the results. I did not record the time for the lead in/lead out and the write times do not include the lead in/ lead out times. I observed these things in Activity Monitor.

My Mac is a Dual 1.42 GHz MDD with 2 GB RAM and a Pioneer DVR-115 burner in a Firewire case with Verbatim 16x SL media.

Toast 7.1.3

Multiplex: 5:10

Write to Disc: 18:35

CPU utilization:

WindowServer: mostly around 20% to 25% during multiplexing and around 40% during the write to disc.

Dock: around 10% to 16% for the most part

Toast 7.1.3: 110% to 120% during multiplexing, 70% to 80% during the write to disc.

Toast 8.0.4

Multiplex: 6:52

Write to Disc: 19:02

CPU utilization:

WindowServer: mostly between 40% to 63% during multiplexing and 30% to 46% during the write to disc.

Dock: 20% to 32% during multiplexing and 15% to 20% during the write to disc.

Toast 8.0.4: 80% tp 107% during multiplexing and 75% to 88% during the write to disc.

The percentages are simply based upon my observations during the operation as to what was the most representative range. There were excursions from these ranges, both above and below the stated ranges, but they were so brief that I did not believe them to be representative of where the majority of the process took place.

Overall, there was a little bit more CPU capacity available for other things during the multiplexing phase using Toast 7.1.3.

Oh, yes, the estimated times shown by any version of Toast are pure nonsense. Why they even have it escapes me. The same could be said of the burn speed displays.

I did not set chapters, allowing the default to be used.

Thanks for your input.

I guess we will see what happens.

Cheers,

Richard

Howard,

Thanks for your very detailed report. Yes, going the disc image route takes a bit of extra time, but allows you to check things out before committing it to a disc and seems to avoid some of the crashes & etc that result in "Toasters", especially early on in the software versions in use.

After reading your report I ran a comparison between Toast 7.1.3 (which I finally got to run on Leopard) and Toast 8.0.4 with the same file. It was a 2:07:42 long movie (4.0 GB) recorded with EyeTV 3.0.2. Prior to the test it had been my impression has been that 7.1.3 is a bit faster (especially in the multiplexing) as it does not seem to make the WindowServer process and the Dock process use up as much CPU capacity as 8.0.4 does, but here are the results. I did not record the time for the lead in/lead out and the write times do not include the lead in/ lead out times. I observed these things in Activity Monitor.

My Mac is a Dual 1.42 GHz MDD with 2 GB RAM and a Pioneer DVR-115 burner in a Firewire case with Verbatim 16x SL media.

Toast 7.1.3

Multiplex: 5:10

Write to Disc: 18:35

CPU utilization:

WindowServer: mostly around 20% to 25% during multiplexing and around 40% during the write to disc.

Dock: around 10% to 16% for the most part

Toast 7.1.3: 110% to 120% during multiplexing, 70% to 80% during the write to disc.

Toast 8.0.4

Multiplex: 6:52

Write to Disc: 19:02

CPU utilization:

WindowServer: mostly between 40% to 63% during multiplexing and 30% to 46% during the write to disc.

Dock: 20% to 32% during multiplexing and 15% to 20% during the write to disc.

Toast 8.0.4: 80% tp 107% during multiplexing and 75% to 88% during the write to disc.

The percentages are simply based upon my observations during the operation as to what was the most representative range. There were excursions from these ranges, both above and below the stated ranges, but they were so brief that I did not believe them to be representative of where the majority of the process took place.

Overall, there was a little bit more CPU capacity available for other things during the multiplexing phase using Toast 7.1.3.

Oh, yes, the estimated times shown by any version of Toast are pure nonsense. Why they even have it escapes me. The same could be said of the burn speed displays.

I did not set chapters, allowing the default to be used.

Thanks for your input.

I guess we will see what happens.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard,

I tried burning the toast image using the Apple Disk Utility this AM on my internal and external drives. You have to manually "open" the Toast image from the utility to mount it.

Internal Drive - total time 18:14 including lead-in and lead-out. The utility reported my max possible burn speed was 8x.

Using my external drive it allowed 16X which I did not think would be faster due to the Firewire interface, but was a lot faster. It took 9:40 to burn the disc.

My machine:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

DVD Drives:

Internal

OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A:

Firmware Revision: 1AHM

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media:

Type: DVD-R

ID: RITEKF1

Blank: Yes

Erasable: No

Overwritable: Yes

Appendable: Yes

Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x

External:

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M:

Firmware Revision: LA00

Interconnect: FireWire

Burn Support: Yes (Vendor Supported Drive)

Profile Path: /Library/DiscRecording/DeviceProfiles/LaCie.drprofile

Cache: 0 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -RAM, -RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media:

Type: DVD-R

ID: RITEKF1

Blank: Yes

Erasable: No

Overwritable: Yes

Appendable: Yes

Write Speeds: 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x

I used Memorex DVD-R 4.7GB 16x media for all these tests.

Howard

Hello all,

I was reading through posts to see if I could find an answer about Toast 9.02 and Eyetv problems I've been having. I found nothing that solved my problem, but believe I have solved at least one issue myself.

First, I just bought a new MacPro 2.8 (8 core Intel). Had a Quad G5 running OSX Tiger (latest) and Toast 9.02 ALL worked perfectly with Eyetv (2.5) Once I made the switch to the new MacPro (Intel) running Leopard (10.5.2) I had many of the problems mentioned in these forums. Therefore as a general diagnosis I can say with some reliability, that the issue lies either in Toast 9.02 and Leopard, or INTEL or both.

On to ONE solution... I found that ANY recordings I made in Eyetv that had "markers" (in and out points from editing) would not export correctly to Toast 9.02 using the "Toast" button. CLEARING ALL MARKERS, then exporting solved the issue!

The specific issue solved, had to do with multiplexing and time issues . Toast 9.02 would recognize imported video with markers as being MUCH shorter in length (minutes vs. hours) than the same video once the markers had been removed ("cleared" in Eyetv). After removing markers, video multiplexed rapidly, and saved a "disk image" without a hitch. I hope this helps some of you!

I still had Toast 9.02 act strangely and inconsistently (a few quits, hangs and re-encoding when it shouldn't) since switching to Leopard and Intel. As mentioned before, none of these problems with Toast 9.02, Eyetv 2.5 and Tiger using a G5 Quad. Also worth mentioning, Toast 8.03 on this same MacPro (Intel and Leopard) had no issues at all.

Peace

Hello all,

I was reading through posts to see if I could find an answer about Toast 9.02 and Eyetv problems I've been having. I found nothing that solved my problem, but believe I have solved at least one issue myself.

First, I just bought a new MacPro 2.8 (8 core Intel). Had a Quad G5 running OSX Tiger (latest) and Toast 9.02 ALL worked perfectly with Eyetv (2.5) Once I made the switch to the new MacPro (Intel) running Leopard (10.5.2) I had many of the problems mentioned in these forums. Therefore as a general diagnosis I can say with some reliability, that the issue lies either in Toast 9.02 and Leopard, or INTEL or both.

On to ONE solution... I found that ANY recordings I made in Eyetv that had "markers" (in and out points from editing) would not export correctly to Toast 9.02 using the "Toast" button. CLEARING ALL MARKERS, then exporting solved the issue!

The specific issue solved, had to do with multiplexing and time issues . Toast 9.02 would recognize imported video with markers as being MUCH shorter in length (minutes vs. hours) than the same video once the markers had been removed ("cleared" in Eyetv). After removing markers, video multiplexed rapidly, and saved a "disk image" without a hitch. I hope this helps some of you!

I still had Toast 9.02 act strangely and inconsistently (a few quits, hangs and re-encoding when it shouldn't) since switching to Leopard and Intel. As mentioned before, none of these problems with Toast 9.02, Eyetv 2.5 and Tiger using a G5 Quad. Also worth mentioning, Toast 8.03 on this same MacPro (Intel and Leopard) had no issues at all.

Peace

bdillan,

You may want to consider upgrading to EyeTV 3 (currently 3.0.2). It has a number of implementations which seem to help with the Toast problems. The El Gato Forums deal somewhat more specifically with problems and solutions of using EyeTV with Toast. El Gato's people also take an active part in the discussions.

In my experience, the problems with burning from EyeTV via Toast have been substantially reduced, but some still exist and El Gato appears to be working to resolve them.

Cheers

Using the eyeTV toast button on the recording, the recording multiplexes ok but fails to burn when it reaches the second chapter.

Can somebody in roxio give an update on this problem? Will it get fixed on the next update?

I am using Toast 9.0.2 on iMac Intel 2.6GHz running OSX 10.5.3 with eyeTV 2.5.2 stream recorded on UK DTV (ITV) with edits for advert removals.

I can even send the eyetv recording if it really helps (uploading would be painful thought).