• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

t3istar

Audio Drop During Burning

Question

I have recently run into a new problem. When Burning a DVD from an MPEG-2 file (~4GB) the sound drops out at approximately the 3/4 point (~ 1 hour of recorded material) and it has happened on two recent burns. The video records excellently. I have not had the problem in the past and I wonder if it could be related to either a changed setting setting or an interference from perhaps another program or resource on the computer. I checked the captured file and the sound is perfect.

Thanks

7 answers to this question

I have recently run into a new problem. When Burning a DVD from an MPEG-2 file (~4GB) the sound drops out at approximately the 3/4 point (~ 1 hour of recorded material) and it has happened on two recent burns. The video records excellently. I have not had the problem in the past and I wonder if it could be related to either a changed setting setting or an interference from perhaps another program or resource on the computer. I checked the captured file and the sound is perfect.

Thanks

Have you tried encoding to an ISO file and then copying that to a disc using Copy and Convert?

Obviously when doing any video work, make sure everything is shut off including your anti-virus and anti-malware. Defrag your hard drive and make sure that there is a lot of free space. If you have your anti-virus running, it may be checking everything that is being written to you hard drive for viruses. That will definitely slow down everything and perhaps cause problems. If you computer has to work hard to find the files then there is a chance for problems.

Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. One of the items I tried was to disconnect by online status but I didn't disengage my firwalls or internet security. You may have hit on that correctly and I will try that. I have 75GB free on my HDD and I will defrag although I probably have enough available. The reason I asked about settings is that the Video recorded great, but the audio ends at the same time point on two different files when I am burning. Again, I really appreciate your assitance

Have you tried encoding to an ISO file and then copying that to a disc using Copy and Convert?

Obviously when doing any video work, make sure everything is shut off including your anti-virus and anti-malware. Defrag your hard drive and make sure that there is a lot of free space. If you have your anti-virus running, it may be checking everything that is being written to you hard drive for viruses. That will definitely slow down everything and perhaps cause problems. If you computer has to work hard to find the files then there is a chance for problems.

I would like to continue my discussion if you have time. As I reported, during MYDVD burning the audio seems to drop off at the same time on differnet files but the video cotinues correctly. As a test I burned the portion where the audio dropped off (actually starting a little before to see if there might be a hangup somewhere, but all burned OK. I tried all of your suggestions, even though I routinely defrag and have more than 100GB available on my HDD. I was hoping that their might be a separate setting for audio that would solve the problem. I do appreciate you responses and if you think of anything else, I would appreciate your inputs.

quote name='sknis' date='Apr 15 2008, 05:18 AM' post='198704']

I would like to continue my discussion if you have time. As I reported, during MYDVD burning the audio seems to drop off at the same time on differnet files but the video cotinues correctly. As a test I burned the portion where the audio dropped off (actually starting a little before to see if there might be a hangup somewhere, but all burned OK. I tried all of your suggestions, even though I routinely defrag and have more than 100GB available on my HDD. I was hoping that their might be a separate setting for audio that would solve the problem. I do appreciate you responses and if you think of anything else, I would appreciate your inputs.

I'm not sure I can add anythng. My only suggestions at this point are to make sure that the drivers for your audio card are up to date and then try reducing the audio accelaration.

To reduce audio acceleration, if you are working with XP is to go to Windows, Start, Run. Type in dxdiag and then OK When the windows opens, go to the sound tab and turn off the audio acceleration. Try again. If that works, you can play with the acceleration settings.

I don't know how to do this in Vista. Perhaps someone else can help.

When Burning a DVD from an MPEG-2 file (~4GB) the sound drops out at approximately the 3/4 point (~ 1 hour of recorded material)

As a test I burned the portion where the audio dropped off (actually starting a little before to see if there might be a hangup somewhere, but all burned OK.

One hour in high quality should be the full 4.7gb / 4482mb single layer DVD! What quality settings are you using ( Project Settings- Default Encoding Settings), video, audio with bit-rate?

cd

I believe I solved the problem and while I can’t explain the technical basis for the correction, I think it is important to share it.

The file sizes I have been capturing from a VHS VCR are on the order of 3.2-4GB. I have been successfully capturing and then burning to a DVD and all is well. Last week, on two of the files, I ran into to audio dropping off at ~ the same point on both files. That’s when I first posted on the forum. Your suggestions were well presented, but I could not get it work. However, I identified something that I wasn’t doing on these two files that I routinely did on all others. Because the start and finish points were perfect on the capture, I just burned those files to the DVD. In the past I have always trimmed and then resaved as MP EG-2 Best Quality for DVD. So I tried one of the files that lost Audio during the DVD Burn and even though it didn’t need trimming, I saved it first as MPEG-2 Best Quality for DVD. And then burned it and all was well. I did not do the ISO step. It worked and I do appreciate your courteous assistance and hope that perhaps this might help others. If you think you can explain what actually happened I would welcome the input

Thanks

I'm not sure I can add anythng. My only suggestions at this point are to make sure that the drivers for your audio card are up to date and then try reducing the audio accelaration.

To reduce audio acceleration, if you are working with XP is to go to Windows, Start, Run. Type in dxdiag and then OK When the windows opens, go to the sound tab and turn off the audio acceleration. Try again. If that works, you can play with the acceleration settings.

I don't know how to do this in Vista. Perhaps someone else can help.

I believe I solved the problem and while I can’t explain the technical basis for the correction, I think it is important to share it.

The file sizes I have been capturing from a VHS VCR are on the order of 3.2-4GB. I have been successfully capturing and then burning to a DVD and all is well. Last week, on two of the files, I ran into to audio dropping off at ~ the same point on both files. That’s when I first posted on the forum. Your suggestions were well presented, but I could not get it work. However, I identified something that I wasn’t doing on these two files that I routinely did on all others. Because the start and finish points were perfect on the capture, I just burned those files to the DVD. In the past I have always trimmed and then resaved as MP EG-2 Best Quality for DVD. So I tried one of the files that lost Audio during the DVD Burn and even though it didn’t need trimming, I saved it first as MPEG-2 Best Quality for DVD. And then burned it and all was well. I did not do the ISO step. It worked and I do appreciate your courteous assistance and hope that perhaps this might help others. If you think you can explain what actually happened I would welcome the input

Thanks

One hour in high quality should be the full 4.7gb / 4482mb single layer DVD! What quality settings are you using ( Project Settings- Default Encoding Settings), video, audio with bit-rate?

cd

I appreciate your question and welcome any further inputs.

720 x 480 fps

29.97 fps

16 bit

3.85GB file size

cd