• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

aim2pls

Rewritable Not Rewritable With Xp Pro

Question

with 2000 and TDK multi-format burner ... never a problem setting a RW act as a harddrive (read/write/move/erase) ..... XP PRO ... will not erase the DVD ... cannot moves files off (only copy) .... can not burn RW ... can not erase a RW ... writables are ok

does anyone have any ideas how to fix this ..... XP PRO was an upgrade version (frrom 2000)

11 answers to this question

with 2000 and TDK multi-format burner ... never a problem setting a RW act as a harddrive (read/write/move/erase) ..... XP PRO ... will not erase the DVD ... cannot moves files off (only copy) .... can not burn RW ... can not erase a RW ... writables are ok

does anyone have any ideas how to fix this ..... XP PRO was an upgrade version (frrom 2000)

Assuming you are using the same disc, it sounds like the RW disc is beginning to fail - RW media is a rotton choice of media if you actually want to KEEP the data.

The difference between R and RW is you can erase the ENTIRE RW disc and start over, which makes it useful for testing, and other VERY SHORT TERM purposes, when the original file is still safely retained somewhere else.

I'd suggest you get any files you want to keep re-recorded somewhere safer if you still can.

Lynn

Assuming you are using the same disc, it sounds like the RW disc is beginning to fail - RW media is a rotton choice of media if you actually want to KEEP the data.

The difference between R and RW is you can erase the ENTIRE RW disc and start over, which makes it useful for testing, and other VERY SHORT TERM purposes, when the original file is still safely retained somewhere else.

I'd suggest you get any files you want to keep re-recorded somewhere safer if you still can.

Lynn

XP cannot do what you described – write/mover/erase. Only a packet writer like Drag to Disc can do that with optical media.

Likewise it is D2D that does the Erase of a disc. Although in case D2D is not installed, Classic is able to do the same thing.

It is very likely that upgrading from 2000 to XP killed whatever program you were using. I would never recommend updating an OS because of the many problems that eventually show up. You might try reinstalling whatever program you were using to see if it starts working again. I do agree that using packet writting is not the best method to use.

XP cannot do what you described – write/mover/erase. Only a packet writer like Drag to Disc can do that with optical media.

Likewise it is D2D that does the Erase of a disc. Although in case D2D is not installed, Classic is able to do the same thing.

It had appeared to me the OP had used Drag2Disc, I took that as a given (ok, "never assume, it makes an a-- of u and me").

However, JSSilva picked up something I missed - a change to a different Operating Sytem. D2D, or any Packet-Writing program, is quite fussy - often refusing to work with a different OS or program Version than orignally used for recording. The change of OS would be easily enough to cause such problems.

In fact, after such a change the OP is lucky to be able to read the disc AT ALL!!

(Altho, of course, using RW media adds the disc-failure factor ... as the re-crystalized aluminum alloy de-crystalizes and takes all the data with it. Once the dye of R media is "cooked" by the laser, it is pretty stable, unlike RW media.)

Lynn

It had appeared to me the OP had used Drag2Disc, I took that as a given (ok, "never assume, it makes an a-- of u and me").

However, JSSilva picked up something I missed - a change to a different Operating Sytem. D2D, or any Packet-Writing program, is quite fussy - often refusing to work with a different OS or program Version than orignally used for recording. The change of OS would be easily enough to cause such problems.

In fact, after such a change the OP is lucky to be able to read the disc AT ALL!!

(Altho, of course, using RW media adds the disc-failure factor ... as the re-crystalized aluminum alloy de-crystalizes and takes all the data with it. Once the dye of R media is "cooked" by the laser, it is pretty stable, unlike RW media.)

Lynn

The nice thing about these forums is that when more people read the same message, more ideas come to light.

Changing from W2K to XP should not break any software. W2K has no writing ability and does not include a Reader, that is only found in XP. Still, it is worth a try.

We have given aim2pls plenty to think about and look into. Hope they let us know how they make out.

I am using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 which was bundled in my purchase of a DVD writer.

I am using DVD+RW disks and want to use the DVD writer as a storage. Mostly I use

the Drag-to-disk option of recording. My problem is this: when the disk is ejected, most of

the time I cannot add on more files, because the disk is closed. However, sometimes the

disk becomes open again and I can record more files. I just wonder which option in the

ejection that controls whether the disk becomes closed or open.

BILL-NG: Although D2D was mentioned several times in this particular topic, I suggest you start a new topic for your particular problem as your post does not help at all in this post.

BTW, a long time ago I upgraded from WIN 2000 Pro to XP as it was a lot cheaper to buy the upgrade system. And in doing so I lost several of the programing abilities I had on 2000Pro, and had to re-install several of them and then a couple of them didn't operate correctly anyway. So the reply that suggested going from 2000 to XP pro very well may be the problem. Also agree with RW media---no good for permanent file storage. Actually I don't even like them for temporary storage.

Frank............

I am using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 which was bundled in my purchase of a DVD writer.

I am using DVD+RW disks and want to use the DVD writer as a storage. Mostly I use

the Drag-to-disk option of recording. My problem is this: when the disk is ejected, most of

the time I cannot add on more files, because the disk is closed. However, sometimes the

disk becomes open again and I can record more files. I just wonder which option in the

First, D2D or any other packet writer is considered by most to be too unreliable for "backups" or "archives"! That is what Classic does best.

To keep your D2D discs open you want to check the settings under Advanced to Leave the disc as is.

A safer method is to use Classic without setting the Read Only option. It is also preferred to use R media which is stable over the years. This is known as Sessions. You have to Import previous sessions each time you add more. You can't recover space once written but media is cheap when weighed against losing everything when a packet written disc goes bad.

post-39-1143394091.jpg

It would appear you haven't really read the rest of the thread.

I'd say since you are using an unreliable method of storage (Packet-Writing) on an unstable medium (RW media), it doesn't really matter because it will all go bye-bye anyway.

(I learned the hard way, and I'm sure you can too.)

Lynn

First, D2D or any other packet writer is considered by most to be too unreliable for "backups" or "archives"! That is what Classic does best.

To keep your D2D discs open you want to check the settings under Advanced to Leave the disc as is.

A safer method is to use Classic without setting the Read Only option. It is also preferred to use R media which is stable over the years. This is known as Sessions. You have to Import previous sessions each time you add more. You can't recover space once written but media is cheap when weighed against losing everything when a packet written disc goes bad.

I did try to "leave disk as it" option. It did not work. I tried to copy two small files onto the

DVD+RW. After ejecting it, the disk is closed and I cannot erase one file or add another.

There are 3 more options other than "leave disk as it". I tried all of them and the disk is

closed everytime.

I understand that this is not the best way for back up. Eventually, I will close the disk after

it is full. However, it will take me a couple of days to finish the job. For this reason, I need

to have the disk inject and eject several times.

I did try to "leave disk as it" option. It did not work. I tried to copy two small files onto the

DVD+RW. After ejecting it, the disk is closed and I cannot erase one file or add another.

There are 3 more options other than "leave disk as it". I tried all of them and the disk is

closed everytime.

I understand that this is not the best way for back up. Eventually, I will close the disk after

it is full. However, it will take me a couple of days to finish the job. For this reason, I need

to have the disk inject and eject several times.

Since it is RW media, just erase and start over. That is its virtue.

However, you sound to me as if you expect to keep the data on the disc for some time.

If so, you are in for a nasty shock. A spindle of CD-Rs would serve you a LOT better if you plan to KEEP the data.

Lynn