• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
hrc

Trying To Convert

Question

I have Popcorn and I have done latest update. I have video_ts files on my computer from my finalized camcorder DVD's and the MAC wont read them, so I purchases popcorn to convert the files to a readable format. I have tried to put the video_ts files in the player section of the program since I don't want to burn them at this time, and Popcorn will export up to 30%, it has never gotten past 30%. I have tried to convert my mpg to mp4 files and that worked. Can some one help me figure out what is going on?

HRC

5 answers to this question

I have Popcorn and I have done latest update. I have video_ts files on my computer from my finalized camcorder DVD's and the MAC wont read them, so I purchases popcorn to convert the files to a readable format. I have tried to put the video_ts files in the player section of the program since I don't want to burn them at this time, and Popcorn will export up to 30%, it has never gotten past 30%. I have tried to convert my mpg to mp4 files and that worked. Can some one help me figure out what is going on?

HRC

I have some suggestions but I'm a little confused what you want the final outcome to be. You have copied the VIDEO_TS folder from the camcorder's DVD to your hard drive. When you say you want a readable format, what do you want to read it with? The VIDEO_TS folder and the finalized DVD both should be readable by DVD Player. Are you wanting to import the video to iMovie for editing?

You say that converting to MPEG 4 worked. What format were you exporting to that stopped at 30%?

There is an alternative way to access the content in the VIDEO_TS folder in Popcorn. Place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop (or insert the finalized DVD). Choose DVD with the top button of the Popcorn Media Browser. Select Video Files in the Player section. You should see something appear in the browser window. Double-click on that to see each of the titles that are on the DVD (or in the VIDEO_TS). Drag what you want to the Popcorn window. Popcorn extracts the MPEG file(s). When it is done you can select and export them to other formats.

If you do the above in Popcorn's DVD section you can have Popcorn create a new video DVD with the menu you create in Popcorn.

HRC

The mac wont just open the file and play it, like in quicktime or anything. Ultimatly I would like to get all my short 30 min. DVD's onto a larger DVD and also make something in iDVD. I believe I was exporting to the mp4 with my ts files and it always stops at 30%. I'll try what you have suggested and see if it works, I really don't want to buy another program to convert my files so thank you for your help.

HRC

The mac wont just open the file and play it, like in quicktime or anything. Ultimatly I would like to get all my short 30 min. DVD's onto a larger DVD and also make something in iDVD. I believe I was exporting to the mp4 with my ts files and it always stops at 30%. I'll try what you have suggested and see if it works, I really don't want to buy another program to convert my files so thank you for your help.

HRC

I tried to play my video_ts files on DVD player and the files are shaded gray and would not play. I also have a MAC mini and a front loading slot for my CD's/DVD's and am afraid to put a little disk in there. The finalized disk will play on a windows machine and will play in any DVD player I have except the MAC mini. And that is why I am using Popcorn 3 to convert.

HRC

I tried to play my video_ts files on DVD player and the files are shaded gray and would not play. I also have a MAC mini and a front loading slot for my CD's/DVD's and am afraid to put a little disk in there. The finalized disk will play on a windows machine and will play in any DVD player I have except the MAC mini. And that is why I am using Popcorn 3 to convert.

HRC

Some things to try:

1) Download the free VLC Media Player and use it to play the content of the VIDEO_TS folder. With VLC choose Open Disc and then click the VIDEO_TS Directory button and then select the VIDEO_TS folder itself (not what's inside it). When you click OK and then the play button you'll see your DVD's menu (if it has one).

2) You might have tried to open the VIDEO_TS folder incorrectly with DVD Player. Open DVD Player and choose Open DVD Media from the File menu. Select the VIDEO_TS folder (not the files inside it) and click Choose. If you don't see your DVD's menu press the space bar and it will appear.

3) Put the VIDEO_TS folder in Popcorn's VIDEO_TS section in the DVD list. Choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. When that is done you can control-click on the .toast disc image in the Finder and choose Mount It from the contextual menu. When the disc image mounts it should automatically launch DVD Player and present your DVD's menu. If you like this approach you can trash the VIDEO_TS folder that's on your hard drive because it now is in the disc image file.

4) Use my earlier suggestion for extracting the MPEG files before converting to a different format. I'd choose DivX or AppleTV.