• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Length

curlybum

Question

Hi all,

I pretty new to this software. What I have done so far is hookup my analog Camcorder and created a mpg file on my hard drive. It is approx 1hr:50min in length. I am using 120min (4.7GB) DVD. Why is the program telling me that I am 2,600 MB over? (Total of ~7300MB). How do I get 110 min of Video on a 120 min DVD? All that is extra on the DVD besides the mpg itself is 9 chapters. I would think that does not use up that much space. Is mpg the right format to create? and if not which one should I have used (avi...?)

Currently confused but working through it...Any help would be muchly appreciated....

CB

14 answers to this question

yeah i meant DVD.. i tried burning .VOB, BUP, IFO files and when i tried playing it in my dvd player it said "no audio found".. how do i burn the "AUDIO_TS" part into the DVD if there are NO files in the folder?

I suspect you are taking a very simple operation and mucking it up???

You use DVD Builder to burn either an ISO file or a Folder Set. – No single Title may exceed 2 hours length. Nor may all Titles Intros and everything else exceed 2 hours length!

You then must use Disc Copier to burn the ISO or folder set to a DVD.

If you attempt to do anything else or do it any other way with V7, it will fail!

I suspect you are taking a very simple operation and mucking it up???

You use DVD Builder to burn either an ISO file or a Folder Set. – No single Title may exceed 2 hours length. Nor may all Titles Intros and everything else exceed 2 hours length!

You then must use Disc Copier to burn the ISO or folder set to a DVD.

If you attempt to do anything else or do it any other way with V7, it will fail!

its not as simple as you think, the original video is exactly 1 hour and 56 min long in an AVI file. I tried using DVD maker but it said that it wont fit the 120min DVD-R. I found out that when it got converted to .VOB files it didnt exceed the time but it exceeded the size from 701MB file to 4.33GB .VOB files

You can burn up to 2 hours onto a standard DVD this way.

Instead of burning to a DVD, burn to an 'image file' (.iso) in DVD Builder.

Double click on the new .iso file which will open Disk Copier and burn the DVD.

However, the resulting DVD may have a decrease in video quality.

where do i get the program "DVD builder"?

its not as simple as you think, the original video is exactly 1 hour and 56 min long in an AVI file. I tried using DVD maker but it said that it wont fit the 120min DVD-R. I found out that when it got converted to .VOB files it didnt exceed the time but it exceeded the size from 701MB file to 4.33GB .VOB files

Yes, now go back and follow the steps I outlined and it will work.

Granted since you are packing twice the amount of video that a 4.7gb disc was designed to hold, the video quality will be poor.

I converted a video into dvd format and it ended up taking up more space than the cd.. is there any way to keep all the files but shorten the size of the converted file so it would fit the cd?

You say CD, is that what your burning to, or a DVD?

Hi all,

I pretty new to this software. What I have done so far is hookup my analog Camcorder and created a mpg file on my hard drive. It is approx 1hr:50min in length. I am using 120min (4.7GB) DVD. Why is the program telling me that I am 2,600 MB over? (Total of ~7300MB). How do I get 110 min of Video on a 120 min DVD? All that is extra on the DVD besides the mpg itself is 9 chapters. I would think that does not use up that much space. Is mpg the right format to create? and if not which one should I have used (avi...?)

Currently confused but working through it...Any help would be muchly appreciated....

CB

A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best quality video. To get on more video you have to reduce the quality to something like "low" or try to use the "fit to disk" option when burning which also involves compressing the video and reduced quality. Since you are capturing from ana;og you don't want to reduce the quality too much.

Users have found a workaround for the quality reduction for videos > 60minutes. Instead of burning directly to DVD to first create a image (iso) file. You do this by unchecking the "burn to disc" checkbox and checking the "create image file" checkbox. Under Advanced option set for best quality. When you get the oversize warning, just select to continue and the program will create a file that is larger then 4.7GB. You then exit DVD Builder nad use Disc Copier to burn that ISO file to the DVD. Disc Copier will transoce the file to fit to the DVD. Many of us have found that this method works a lot better and gives better quality then using the "fit to disc" option in DVD Builder. Since you are starting off with a 110 minute video you will of course lose quality when you compress it to fit on the DVD. Capturing to mpeg initially also compresses video from the camcorder and then it gets compressed again when you finally burn to DVD. I always capture to avi since that retains the best quality and the video is only compressed once. The downside of capturing to avi is that very large large files are created but if you have a large hard drive that is no problem.

Hi all,

CB

You need to do some homework on DVD video work. Walt gave you some of the answers, but you need to do some reading of the forums.

Walt,

Thanks very much. I sort of understand by reading and I'm sure I'll get it when I play with it. What about the 8.4 GB option? I would assume that it would allow ~105 min of video and that it would be playable in a regular DVD player...?

Certainly I have a lot of questions but am not always sure where to find answers or if they've already been answered. I have been reading the post and am trying to get answers from there. If I am asking common or already answered questions, being directed to the appropriate post would be great as well.

CB

Walt, Is it possible to burn a video/movie into a dvd which exceeds its allowable time length? is there any alternative besides using two disc or buying a DVD-R cd with more minutes?

You can burn up to 2 hours onto a standard DVD this way.

Instead of burning to a DVD, burn to an 'image file' (.iso) in DVD Builder.

Double click on the new .iso file which will open Disk Copier and burn the DVD.

However, the resulting DVD may have a decrease in video quality.

Walt,

Thanks very much. I sort of understand by reading and I'm sure I'll get it when I play with it. What about the 8.4 GB option? I would assume that it would allow ~105 min of video and that it would be playable in a regular DVD player...?

Certainly I have a lot of questions but am not always sure where to find answers or if they've already been answered. I have been reading the post and am trying to get answers from there. If I am asking common or already answered questions, being directed to the appropriate post would be great as well.

CB

The 8.5GB option refers to a DL (Double Layer) DVD disc. This type of DVD media has about 2x the storage space of a standard 4.7GB DVD but cost quite a bit more (you can get several 4.lGB discs for the price of 1 DL disc). You can store about 120 minutes of best quality video on it. You also have to have a burner that is able to handle this media.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, usually somebody will jump in with a possible solution or a link to where it can be found. Searching these forums is also very handy.

Archived