• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Problem Reordering Files In Dvd Project

jojoand

Question

How on earth do you change the order of files that have been added to a DVD project? I've tried everything and the file stubbornly stays in the same place. Other programs allow for an easy change in position. I can't find anything in the help files on this, either. I don't want to start over to get the last clip into the first position, as this EMC8 is SLOW at doing everything. Is there a way to get the project to view as a succession of files that would allow a drag and drop change?

Thanks! I'd like to like this program (and the first DVD I made turned out fine as far a quality was concerned), but it is very frustrating, also.

10 answers to this question

Since I didn't design or write the application, I can't answer your question. Personally, I find MyDVD very easy to use and I have never 'accidently' put anything in the wrong order. I'm not familiar with Uleads MF so I can't comment or compare to Roxio products.

I did accidently move the order of files around once by dragging the items in the project view tree. I couldn't figure exactly where to drop them to get them in a specific order. Since I was just playing around, it wasn't that important.

I tried to drag and drop a file in the way you suggested but it would not go anywhere else. It just popped back to the position (last) that it had been in.

I think what I did was drop it on the next higher menu. I don't think it was designed to do this. To have the kind of control you want, you really need a more expensive DVD authoring app like Sonic's DVDit Pro 6. It's fairly complex, but easy to use. The user has total control over buttons, order of those buttons and the DVD remote controls and how they work. For instances, if you wanted the remote's right button and down button to navigate to the same next button, you can do that.

I think what I did was drop it on the next higher menu. I don't think it was designed to do this. To have the kind of control you want, you really need a more expensive DVD authoring app like Sonic's DVDit Pro 6. It's fairly complex, but easy to use. The user has total control over buttons, order of those buttons and the DVD remote controls and how they work. For instances, if you wanted the remote's right button and down button to navigate to the same next button, you can do that.

You seem quite knowledgeable and I am grateful for you help and comments. I notice you have an Althon processor. What processor and speed would you suggest to get good performance out of MFC8? I know my desktop is a bit slow at 1.8 Pen4, but my laptop is a 3.2 and the DVD portion hangs more often on it than the desktop. (I've tried it on both, after removing it from the desktop, to see which machine should be the one to use for video editing.

What is most frustrating is that the manual/help files all give advice based on the most complete version of the software...and most of the editions are not the deluxe. In fact, I didn't even know there was a deluxe until after I purchased the Suite version and don't know if it was even published at the same time. If they are going to dumb down the software, they should also change the help files so you aren't forever trying to do something that is impossible. They are alienating their customers, which no company wants to do.

In fact, I didn't even know there was a deluxe until after I purchased the Suite version

Yes, unfortunately the 'standard' version was released first. I can understand the frustration if someone would have purchased the Deluxe instead. Contact Customer Service. Never hurts to ask for a deal. :)

I also agree about the Help file, but that isn't the case. The way it is has caused way too much confusion and angry users.

For CPUs, P4s or AMD Athlons that run over 2Ghz (real CPU speed lol) should work fine. I highly recommend 1gig of menory or more with as big a hard drive affordable. I've always been partial to AMD chips. With the latest reviews/benchmarks for the new Athlon 64 X2 chips, I want one!! LOL

Your laptop should be ok, but.... check the video chipset. Most laptop video does not fully support DirectX which means Videowave and MyDVD will do software render only and the 3D transitions/effects will not be available.

Also check your laptop's power settings. On my 2.8Ghz Gateway, the CPU drops to 1.8Ghz when on battery to save power. The screen also dims. When plugged into AC, the CPU goes full speed and the screen is very bright. Things like this will affect rendering times.

Thanks again! I always run my laptop on regular power, but the program barely runs on it. It is set to software rendering, but I set my desktop to software rendering and it didn't slow down the program at all and may have even speeded it up, even though it was capable of hardware. EMC runs extremely slowly on both the computers and I wish I knew why it wasn't better on the laptop. I haven't even been able to actually render the video because the program keeps hanging while I'm trying to put the project together. Would removing the Media Manager help without losing too much? It seems all the media manager does is located files that I would otherwise need to locate myself, but I know where they are so that shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, unfortunately the 'standard' version was released first. I can understand the frustration if someone would have purchased the Deluxe instead. Contact Customer Service. Never hurts to ask for a deal. :)

I also agree about the Help file, but that isn't the case. The way it is has caused way too much confusion and angry users.

For CPUs, P4s or AMD Athlons that run over 2Ghz (real CPU speed lol) should work fine. I highly recommend 1gig of menory or more with as big a hard drive affordable. I've always been partial to AMD chips. With the latest reviews/benchmarks for the new Athlon 64 X2 chips, I want one!! LOL

Your laptop should be ok, but.... check the video chipset. Most laptop video does not fully support DirectX which means Videowave and MyDVD will do software render only and the 3D transitions/effects will not be available.

Also check your laptop's power settings. On my 2.8Ghz Gateway, the CPU drops to 1.8Ghz when on battery to save power. The screen also dims. When plugged into AC, the CPU goes full speed and the screen is very bright. Things like this will affect rendering times.

Since I didn't design or write the application, I can't answer your question. Personally, I find MyDVD very easy to use and I have never 'accidently' put anything in the wrong order. I'm not familiar with Uleads MF so I can't comment or compare to Roxio products.

I did accidently move the order of files around once by dragging the items in the project view tree. I couldn't figure exactly where to drop them to get them in a specific order. Since I was just playing around, it wasn't that important.

There is also a move up and move down button at the bottom of the area shown in that screenshot which I've always used in Deluxe Suite...

Would removing the Media Manager help without losing too much? It seems all the media manager does is locate files that I would otherwise need to locate myself, but I know where they are so that shouldn't be a problem

I'm like you. I try to stay organized and know where all my files are. You can go to the Control Panel, Add/Remove Apps and Click change for EMC8. Then remove Media Manager. This only removes the parts that watches folders, etc. You will still have the Media Manager to select files. This will also remove the ability to share your files with Liveshare.

I also elected to not install UPnP. I don't have any devices to use this feature.

If you're comfortable looking for and installing drivers, check your motherboard to see what chipsets that it uses. For example, my HP has a custom Asustek motherboard that uses the VIA chipsets. I can go to VIA's website and download the latest drivers. One other poster said that the VIA AGP driver fixed all of his display problems. They also have drivers for the IDE controllers, USB2 and firewire controllers. Of course, these would be specifically for their chipsets. nVidia has drivers for their nForce chipsets and Intel has drivers for their chipsets. Be patient, read everything carefully to make sure you get the correct drivers. Stuff like this can really make a difference in stability. I would always start with the computer manufacturer's website.

If you are adding the files as TITLES on the main menu, the buttons are created IN ORDER the files are added. Please refer back to the template that you chose to see how the buttons are arranged. Some will be oriented vertical and others are in rows.

For example:

[1] [2] [3]

[4] [5] [6]

That is how the files are added AND navigation with the remote.

When adding files as TITLES, they will ALWAYS return to menu at the end of each title. If you want the files to play in sequence, then add all the files to play with only ONE button.

If the files are added to a single button, you can click EDIT MOVIE to change which order they play.

Does that mean that if I accidently get the files added in the wrong order (as titles on the main menu), the only way to rearrange their order is to start all over? I also use ULead MF and it is so much easier to move the various video clips around. Why does EMC make it so hard? I spent several hours on a video and decided that I needed the last title to be first and could find no way to make that switch. Maybe I'm still missing something, but scrapping hours of work to reorder does not make sense.

If you are adding the files as TITLES on the main menu, the buttons are created IN ORDER the files are added. Please refer back to the template that you chose to see how the buttons are arranged. Some will be oriented vertical and others are in rows.

For example:

[1] [2] [3]

[4] [5] [6]

That is how the files are added AND navigation with the remote.

When adding files as TITLES, they will ALWAYS return to menu at the end of each title. If you want the files to play in sequence, then add all the files to play with only ONE button.

If the files are added to a single button, you can click EDIT MOVIE to change which order they play.

post-49-1143435024.jpg

Archived