Dvd Version

jojoand

Question

I am having problems using some parts of My DVD included in my recent purchase of the Roxio Suite. I was under the impression that it included full versions of the included software. Am I wrong? Is the version of DVD in this suite only the essentials version? If so, I would not have bought it. I hope I am wrong, but I seem to have so many options greyed out that I am now worried. Could someone please clear this up.

Thank you.

13 answers to this question

According to this news item about My DVD EMC has premier.

Pricing and Availability

MyDVD 8 Premier and MyDVD 8 Essentials are now available directly at www.roxio.com and www.sonic.com. MyDVD 8 Premier is priced at $69.99, and MyDVD 8 Essentials is priced at $49.99. Consumers can upgrade to Roxio Easy Media Creator® 8, which includes the full functionality of MyDVD 8 Premier in addition to a powerful range of other digital media capabilities such as rich photo editing, innovative audio capabilities, as well as data archival and system backup features.

I think that news item is mistaken about EMC8 having the full functionality of MyDVD8 Premier. That is what I thought when I bought it, but it turns out that only EMC8 Deluxe version (with included hardware) has the full functionality and that version wasn't originally available when the Suite came out. Quite a few things are greyed out in the EMC8 Suite that I have, which is not the Essentials version. It is misleading promotional material like this that makes for poor customer relations.

I also cannot figure out what version of MyDVD8 Roxio has included in the Suite, and the ad they keep sending me every day to buy it doesn't make this clear. Whether this is intentional or inadvertant, this is very poor marketing and customer relations and only gets people less inclined to buy their products. Clearly someone at Roxio doesn't get it...

It would be helpful if the Roxio marketing people would clarify this immediately. With all the obvious hassles with the new version reported by people on these forums, it reminds me of a recent article I read "Your Call/Comments Should Be Important to Us, But They're Not..."

Somehow Nero 7 doesn't seem to have as many issues...

I also cannot figure out what version of MyDVD8 Roxio has included in the Suite, and the ad they keep sending me every day to buy it doesn't make this clear. Whether this is intentional or inadvertant, this is very poor marketing and customer relations and only gets people less inclined to buy their products. Clearly someone at Roxio doesn't get it...

It would be helpful if the Roxio marketing people would clarify this immediately. With all the obvious hassles with the new version reported by people on these forums, it reminds me of a recent article I read "Your Call/Comments Should Be Important to Us, But They're Not..."

I am not Roxio, but if you are talking about the Easy Media Creator 8 Suite (Middle one in attached URL), it includes the MyDVD 8 Premier.

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/emc/family.jhtml

this is very poor marketing and customer relations and only gets people less inclined to buy their products. Clearly someone at Roxio doesn't get it...

Most would probably agree with that statement. From what info I have, the version of MyDVD that is included with EMC8 standard version is the same as MyDVD Premiere which does have some items greyed out.

The ONLY way to get the fully functional version of MyDVD is to purchase EMC8 Deluxe. The fully functional version of MyDVD is not included in any other package that I know. It's unfortunate that someone who only wants that would have to purchase the entire EMC8 Deluxe suite.

As for Nero since they don't have a user forum, it would be difficult to gauge how many of their customers are dissatisfied. Although it would seem from this fourm that alot of users are having problems with EMC8, the actual percentage of users is really not as high as you would think.

The above posts are correct. I upgraded my OEM version of MyDVD to the MyDVD Premiere (as I only want to make DVD's and do not need all of the other junk in EMC Suites.) The MyDVD Premiere does NOT give full funcionality. I have many grayed out buttons despite the comparison charts on the sales site stating that Premiere gives "full" button and editing ability. MyDVD Premiere is the highest version you can buy without going for a Suite.

I will probably upgrade again to EMC Deluxe once I am SURE that it's version of MyDVD has full function.

This is an excellent discussion forum. I have found solutions to every problem I have encountered.

I am not Roxio, but if you are talking about the Easy Media Creator 8 Suite (Middle one in attached URL), it includes the MyDVD 8 Premier.

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/emc/family.jhtml

There are MANY things that are disabled in the DVD portion of the EMC Suite 8, so if it is supposed to be the premier version, there is definitely a problem. I'm not even sure it will do all that it says it will do on the box and included pages inside the front cover of the box, but I haven't had time to try out everything to know for sure. I agree with the previous poster, that they are not being upfront and are turning off customers. They should not have help files that tell you how to do something that is impossible, as it wastes much time trying to figure out why something doesn't work, and there is no clear cut way to know what is supposed to work and what isn't. I wish I could work for Roxio an write an accurate manual for them!

Unfortunately, they are trying to avoid printing so many different versions of the manual and Help files. That is why there is a disclaimer at the top of each Help file page.

I think you missed what I was saying. MyDVD Premiere is a limited version. It is not the fully functional version and wasn't meant to be.

The first release of EMC8 was the 'standard' version. Only the Deluxe version has all features enabled and nothing is 'greyed' out.

I will probably upgrade again to EMC Deluxe once I am SURE that it's version of MyDVD has full function.

I now have the Deluxe version and as far as I can tell, there are no greyed out items. PLUS in Videowave there are a total of 32 tracks:

One Main Video track

5 text tracks

5 overlay tracks

2 FX tracks

Audio:

Native, Music, Narrative and SFx

All tracks have duplicates as internal tracks, too.

In MyDVD 8, the additional menu style packs (sold separately for $29.99 each) are included for a total of 24 menu styles. Plus the hardware, I think the Deluxe version is well worth the upgrade. Check out CompUSA this week only. The EMC8 Deluxe Suite is only $79.99 after rebates.

I am having problems using some parts of My DVD included in my recent purchase of the Roxio Suite. I was under the impression that it included full versions of the included software. Am I wrong? Is the version of DVD in this suite only the essentials version? If so, I would not have bought it. I hope I am wrong, but I seem to have so many options greyed out that I am now worried. Could someone please clear this up.

Thank you.

Have a look at this site http://www.roxio.com/en/products/emc/family.jhtml

According to this news item about My DVD EMC has premier.

Pricing and Availability

MyDVD 8 Premier and MyDVD 8 Essentials are now available directly at www.roxio.com and www.sonic.com. MyDVD 8 Premier is priced at $69.99, and MyDVD 8 Essentials is priced at $49.99. Consumers can upgrade to Roxio Easy Media Creator® 8, which includes the full functionality of MyDVD 8 Premier in addition to a powerful range of other digital media capabilities such as rich photo editing, innovative audio capabilities, as well as data archival and system backup features.

Unfortunately, they are trying to avoid printing so many different versions of the manual and Help files. That is why there is a disclaimer at the top of each Help file page.

I think you missed what I was saying. MyDVD Premiere is a limited version. It is not the fully functional version and wasn't meant to be.

The first release of EMC8 was the 'standard' version. Only the Deluxe version has all features enabled and nothing is 'greyed' out.

You're right, I did miss that you said the premier version was also limited...but premier sounds like it should be the best. Do they have an ultra-premier version of MyDVD?

You're right, I did miss that you said the premier version was also limited...but premier sounds like it should be the best. Do they have an ultra-premier version of MyDVD?

I don't know if they call it, that, but that is what is in the Deluxe version. There isn't a stand alone version of MyDVD ultra premier.

Archived