Huge Skips In Images In Most Chapters

us246553

Question

I am totally frustrated in trying to get my dvd to burn properly. My Gateway gt5012 is only a few months old. It has a dual core processor - 2.8 GHz per channel. It has a pentium D @ operating system is windows XP media center addition. . I added 2 gigs of DDR2 ram. The Samsung ts-h552b burners firmware was upgraded from ga04 to current ts04. I downloaded the driver win2k_xp141950 for the intel82945G express chipset family. I've downloaded the hotfix for error in encoding menu. I have downloaded the 8.05 update. I have also run a defrag.

I have tried burning after adding each of these changes. I witness the missing files being encoded, but it skips in the same place in each of the chapters.

I have heard it is a good idea to slow down the burn rate, but I see no way to do this. In a given chapter, it almost feels like there's a glitch to an image, that it skipsover several images (added audio also stops in the middle of a song).

All thoughts would be welcome. I have spent an outrageous amount of time fumbli9ng through many of these fixes -with computer freezing up and losing changes.

Tom Butler

I may have these replies out of order, but here's more info. I am doing a photo slideshow project with 7 chapters. The ISO file shows size of 763,000KB (sorry I previously stated MB!!) The file I saved with a roxio icon says 16,000 KB.

In the preview mode showing six of the seven chapters, it says the estimated size is 549 MB (4151free). The 1st chapter has 113 images, 1 audio file saved in the video CD high resolution mode. All chapters are saved as such. The 2nd chapter has 160 images, 2 audio files. The third has 195 images, 2 audio files. The 4th has 440 images, 5 audio files. The 5th has 665 images 5 audio files. This chapter has a huge skip when played back through DVD player and TV. There are no skips in the preview mode in My DVD. The audio is about 20 min, and the duration of the chapter is 30 min. I think this was saved in the fit to audio mode. The 6th has 468 images, 4 audio files. The last has 479 images and 4 audio files. I know there are big skips in other chapters,too.

I know this sounds like an outrageous amount of files, but if the iso file says 763,000KB and the preview screen in My DVD says est. size 549 MB (4151 free), isn't there a ton of room left? On the other hand, if a 4.7 GB holds only ~ 60 minutes, I can see why there's too many total files in this project. Obviously, I'm confused.

If a better video card is the answer, what's the best out there, and what kind of specs do I ask for?

Again, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to consider this problem and respond.

Thanks, Tom Butler

I may have these replies out of order, but here's more info. I am doing a photo slideshow project with 7 chapters. The ISO file shows size of 763,000KB (sorry I previously stated MB!!) The file I saved with a roxio icon says 16,000 KB.

In the preview mode showing six of the seven chapters, it says the estimated size is 549 MB (4151free). The 1st chapter has 113 images, 1 audio file saved in the video CD high resolution mode. All chapters are saved as such. The 2nd chapter has 160 images, 2 audio files. The third has 195 images, 2 audio files. The 4th has 440 images, 5 audio files. The 5th has 665 images 5 audio files. This chapter has a huge skip when played back through DVD player and TV. There are no skips in the preview mode in My DVD. The audio is about 20 min, and the duration of the chapter is 30 min. I think this was saved in the fit to audio mode. The 6th has 468 images, 4 audio files. The last has 479 images and 4 audio files. I know there are big skips in other chapters,too.

I know this sounds like an outrageous amount of files, but if the iso file says 763,000KB and the preview screen in My DVD says est. size 549 MB (4151 free), isn't there a ton of room left? On the other hand, if a 4.7 GB holds only ~ 60 minutes, I can see why there's too many total files in this project. Obviously, I'm confused.

If a better video card is the answer, what's the best out there, and what kind of specs do I ask for?

Again, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to consider this problem and respond.

Thanks, Tom Butler

When you save that file in VideoWave, the file that is saved is not a movie. It is only a set of instructions on what the software will do with your production.

Basically, don't pay much attention to the size of your production. Pay attention to the length of time of that production. Are you pushing the 1 hour limit on yours?

I'm considering uninstalling this software, and seeing how far I can sail the disk into the St. Croix River.

I started over, trying to burn 1 Title (650 images from a digital camera - no video) and adding ~30 minutes of audio to one disk. I did 95% of the editing(changing brightness, contrast, color, cropping, etc) in Adobe Photoshop 7 , and added these saved files in slideshow assistant. I did however do significant reordering of the images within slideshow assistant. I used the high resolution transition. I burned as an iso file, and then burned to DVD. I selected the slowest burn speed.

The first two attempts I got encoding preview errors, and finially on the third attempt, got it to burn to disc.

There are still huge gaps with missing images(and audio) in this last attempt. I will try different brands of dvd's, but more than likely this software will get awful wet.

If this software would do what it proports to do, I think I'd like it a lot. The reality is so far its wasted several hundred hours of my time in the last two months.

Ant other thoughts that might save a potential polluter??

Thanks, Tom Butler

You are trying to create a slideshow with 2520 slides! Even at lowest quality a 120 minute slideshow would only allow an average of <3 secs a picture, at best quality the pictures would zip by every 1.5 secs. Nobody will watch that. Remember you have no next/previous control of your slideshow you can only pause.

I also don't understand some of the things you are posting:

"saved in the video CD high resolution mode" I thought you were creating a DVD slideshow?

Are you saving each slideshow as a separate project in Videowave? What is the length of each chapter (EMC 8 actually calls these Titles)?

A better video card will not help at this point if at all.

The 1st chapter has 113 images, 1 audio file saved in the video CD high resolution mode. All chapters are saved as such.

Not sure if things are more confusing or not. Sounds like you are using Videowave to create your slideshow and then OUTPUT TO FILE as a Video CD MPEG1 file. These files must be re-rendered to MPEG 2. Even if they did render without skipping, the quality certainly would be what it could be.

I think you need to start over. If the slideshows are already in Videowave project files, then just launch MyDVD, set the project settings to DVD and add the Videowave project files. MyDVD will then properly render the images for the DVD. As Walt mentioned, there will probably be too many photos so you will have to have fewer slideshows on one DVD.

Actually, I am not using video wave at all. I loaded all these images in The slideshow assistant in my DVD.

High resolution is one of the options (no pan and zoom or special effects.) to choose from in changing from image to image. There is no video in this project - only single images from a digital camera.

Thanks for your time in responding. Unfortunately, burning to an iso file and then to DVD did not solve the huge skips. There is a discrepency between the size of iso file 170,000MB and what is shown during burning - under 700MB.

Do you think I need to uninstall and reinstall, as well as reloading all the images from the original files. I have spend half of infinity reordering these images, changing things like brightness, cropping, etc.

I'd really hate to start completely over, but nothing I've tried works.

Anybody with ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Butler

Ah... So to be clear. You have chosen a DVD PROJECT. You add a slideshow using the wizard and then chose the Video CD High Resolution TRANSITION option. Did you use this on all the slideshows or just on the ones that skip?

I've never tried that transition before. I'll see if I can duplicate the problem later this evening.

Thanks for your time in responding. Unfortunately, burning to an iso file and then to DVD did not solve the huge skips. There is a discrepency between the size of iso file 170,000MB and what is shown during burning - under 700MB.

Do you think I need to uninstall and reinstall, as well as reloading all the images from the original files. I have spend half of infinity reordering these images, changing things like brightness, cropping, etc.

I'd really hate to start completely over, but nothing I've tried works.

Anybody with ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Butler

I would do some test burns on RW media. Where the DVD starts skipping, pull that part of the production out, burn to ISO, then to DVD. If all is ok, then there may be something wrong with the image or movie that you took out.

It could also be a transition that is causing the skips, but the only way to find out is trial and error.

Yes, I've used that transition on all the titles. I opened my DVD, use the add a slideshow command, and added a total of 7 titles or slideshows. All the manipulations have been within slideshow assistant. I have reordered, changed brightness, cropped, added backgroung audio -all within slideshow assistant.

I still don't get the issue about dvd space. The iso file says ~700,00KB for the project. The preview mode in slideshow assistant says<600MB. When it burns, it visually looks like there's 2/3 of the disk left to record. If these are still images (and not a video) shouldn't there be more than 60 min available on a 4.7 GB DVD?

Thanks,

Tom Butler

Well that's just it. There was a feature in V5&6 that would create a CD using the actual JPGs for display. I haven't done any testing in V8 to see if it had anything similar. I was under the impression that MyDVD always converted images to video.

Insert your disc into the computer. Open MY COMPUTER. Right click on the DVD and choose explore. What do you see? Is there a folder with the JPGS? Is the disc a video disc or a data disc?

Sorry, in that I am somewhat computer challenged - but exactly how do you "burn to an iso file first" (Is this in video wave or my dvd?) I guess step by step instructions.

In MyDVD, when you click on the burn button, uncheck the Burn to DVD, and check the Burn to Image File. Make sure than you name that ISO file some name that you remember, and save it in a folder that you can find, too.

post-81-1143484629.jpg

Well I tried a few things last night, and none of them worked. I tried adding 2 folders of files totaling 650 still images. I picked a different transition (dissolve), and did no reordering within slideshow assistant. I did this twice and got a 8007000E error while encoding menu error. After doing some searching on this forum, I found some replies concerning disabling the Norton antivirus first. I did get a couple of tries where I was able to burn to an iso file , but when burning to dvd, there are still huge skips in the images and audio.

I also played around with burning in different places like creator classic, or just clicking slideshow from the right hand column in the home screen, but to no avail.

Do you think this points back to a video card with not enough memory? As stated in earlier replies, I did update the existing video card driver, firmware for the burner, 8.05 update, hotfix,direct X, slowing down burn rate in disc copier, and about everytrhing else that was recommended in this forum.

On a different issue, when I burn a cd, I record 6 auxilliary files, but the images are not there. I seem to be within the space limitations shown. So in a CD burn format, I don't even get a lousy burn that skips - I don't get a playable cd a all.

Gary asked previously about whether there are jpegs on the dvd discs that burn with the huge gaps. I don't think so. When inserting the disk, explore,etc, I see auxiliary files and an iso file. When I double click to open the iso file , it brings me back to the slideshow wizard.

Other than buying and installing a better video card, I don't know what else to try. You'd think with a windows ep media center addition, they'd put a video card that was at least reasonable in this Gateway GT5012.

The real thing I don't get is how Roxio can put this product on the market with so many glitches. For just dvd and video, there's 23 pages of titles with problems. Why don't they hire a bunch of guys a hell of a lot smarter than me, to study the issues, and make a downloadable update that solves all these issues. I'm sure there's several like me, that have basic computer knowledge, and just want this to work the way it is supposed to work. We shouldn't need an advanced level of expertise to make this !@#$%^&^%$#@! work.

That being said, does anyone have any recommendation of software from other companies that will reliably burn slideshows on dvds, that can handle the capacity of what the dvd can hold. I'm thinking either this or waiting until somebody makes downloadable updates that will allow this to work. Maybe it works better for video (I saw where Gary said he's made over 20 projects with great satisfaction). Did all this stuff work correctly for you off the bat, or did you have to fiddle around to finally get this to work??

AHHHHHHHHHH, that feels a little better badrapping roxio. Still can't burn a decent dvd slideshow though.

Tom Butler

I would ask myself why my ISO is 170,000mb and yet my finished product is only 700mb (the size of a CD) Are you trying to save a project that big to one CD? Kinda confusing to say the least, and I have never had alot of luck with on-board video, I always recommend that everyone have an actual video card.

I wouldn't mind investing in a very good video card if that would do the trick. Any recommendations?Brands, specs,etc. Compatibility issues?

I remember doing some type of graphics test somewhere in that program, and the test patterns seemed fine to me - butI'm not really sure what I was looking for. I'll try to find it again and see if there's some default designation.

Do you think I need to uninstall and reinstall. Do I need to start over with assembling this project from scratch? Is there a limit to the number of Images you can put in a chapter. A couple of the chapters have 500 - 650 images. If so, I'd loose a months work, but Creator 8 is doing me no good in its current state.

Hey Gary, thanks for taking the time to think about this problem and to respond.

Tom Butler

I'm not a gamer at all, but when I purchase a new computer and it only has a video chip on the motherboard, the first thing I do is get a video card for it. The HP listed below had an S3 chipset. Fortunately, I already had a video card - FX5200 Ultra. I've since then upgraded to the nVidia 6200 card.

I looked at the Gateway website and your GT5012 has the Intel 900 series. I would guess it's the 945. It is built onto the motherboard and uses part of your system RAM for video memory. You may be able to change how much it uses in the BIOS. I know that on my Gateway laptop that I can't and is permanently set for only 64MB. Purchasing a separate Video card would help, but I can't gurantee that it will solve all the problems.

According to Gateway you have:

# One PCI-E ×1

# Two PCI Conventional

# One PCI-Express ×16

If that was my machine, I would try to get a video card to fit that PCIe X16 slot. VERY FAST If you can't find one within your budget, then the other PCIe slot would work well, too.

I understand the frustration when something doesn't work. However, programming is much more complex now than it ever has been. With all the computers still running, it's impossible to test for compatibility.

I wouldn't mind investing in a very good video card if that would do the trick. Any recommendations?Brands, specs,etc. Compatibility issues?

I remember doing some type of graphics test somewhere in that program, and the test patterns seemed fine to me - butI'm not really sure what I was looking for. I'll try to find it again and see if there's some default designation.

Do you think I need to uninstall and reinstall. Do I need to start over with assembling this project from scratch? Is there a limit to the number of Images you can put in a chapter. A couple of the chapters have 500 - 650 images. If so, I'd loose a months work, but Creator 8 is doing me no good in its current state.

Hey Gary, thanks for taking the time to think about this problem and to respond.

Tom Butler

Have you tried the burned DVD in a set top DVD player (DVD player connected to your television) to see if the skips are still happening? Have you tried a different brand of media?

Tom Butler

I don't think you ever really explained what kind of project you are working. You do say you have several chapter containing 500-600 images each. Are these photos? Are you creating a slideshow?

If those are photos then that is were your problem may lie. In only 2 chapter you would have at least 1000 photos and showing each photo for only 3 seconds would create a slideshow of about 50 minutes. Adding other chapters you will propably easily be over 60 minutes. A normal 4.7GB DVD will only hold about 60 minutes of video at best quality. To get get more you have to select lower quality in your settings which you actually do not want to doif you are creating a slideshow.

Perhaps you had better explain what you are trying to do and what you are doing. Those files sizes you posted don't make any sense.

Yes, That is where I check out the final burn - on a DVD connected to my TV. The skips are definitely there. And also in the same places. I tried deleting the image where it skips. and it starts skiping from the previous image. When I burned to an iso file, I was able to slow the burn rate, but it still skipped in the same place. Seems to me that if the media was bad, the skipping would be more random. But I'll try anything.

Thanks to all who have considered my problems creating a slideshow with my dvd in roxio 8, and took the time respond. After almost 2 months of trying to reliably put together large slide shows on a dvd, I finally gave up. I saw a post about Proshow gold, and a trial download - so I did. Everything worked perfect the first time!!!!! There's an auto save feature, so the only time you could lose, would be the time it takes to reload. There's actual 1-800 technical support . I'm not saying its glitch-free - but I haven't found any yet. Within 24 hrs of trial, I decided to buy the software. I just wish I had the time wasted in roxio my dvd back. Live and learn I guess.

There may be certain things roxio is good at, but making slideshows in my dvd is definitely not one of them. Shame on you roxio.

Tom Butler

Yes, That is where I check out the final burn - on a DVD connected to my TV. The skips are definitely there. And also in the same places. I tried deleting the image where it skips. and it starts skiping from the previous image. When I burned to an iso file, I was able to slow the burn rate, but it still skipped in the same place. Seems to me that if the media was bad, the skipping would be more random. But I'll try anything.

Keep backing up to see if the previous one skips. It could be something to do with how you cropped, etc., but I don't know. I would use PhotoSuite, or some other software, to crop or lighten the photos.

Thanks to all who have considered my problems creating a slideshow with my dvd in roxio 8, and took the time respond. After almost 2 months of trying to reliably put together large slide shows on a dvd, I finally gave up. I saw a post about Proshow gold, and a trial download - so I did. Everything worked perfect the first time!!!!! There's an auto save feature, so the only time you could lose, would be the time it takes to reload. There's actual 1-800 technical support . I'm not saying its glitch-free - but I haven't found any yet. Within 24 hrs of trial, I decided to buy the software. I just wish I had the time wasted in roxio my dvd back. Live and learn I guess.

There may be certain things roxio is good at, but making slideshows in my dvd is definitely not one of them. Shame on you roxio.

Tom Butler

I make my slide shows in VideoWave, where they are supposed to be made. I have no problems with VideoWave in version 7.5 or version 8.

Archived