Ruggerman

Copying Dvd's Using A Staging File

Question

I am copying dvd's that I have converted from VHS tapes. Since I have only one dvd drive in my PC I am staging the files to my hard drive. Two issues:

1. I would like to direct the stage file to somewhere other than C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp

I can find nothing under Tools > Options that allows me to specify a new location.

2. I would like Creator to automatically delete the temporary files it leaves behind (i.e. PXW3A.tmp(1_0).gi). As it is now, I have to manually delete these .gi files to avoid filling up my hard drive.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

3 answers to this question

Do you have a Retail Roxio EMC 8 version? If so use Disc Copier and output to a ISO Image file or Video_ts Folder set, on your hard drive where you want. You still will have to manually delete the files, but your not caching to a temp file.

cd

Ruggerman,

EMC8 has two copier applications. There's the dumbed-down Sonic RecordNow copier which you reach from the Home > Copy > Copy Disc menu, and Roxio Disc Copier 8 which you reach from Home > Copy DVD Movies menu, and set to CD & DVD copy.

With Disc Copier 8 you can not only output to a disc image or folder as cdanteek suggested, but you can get rid of those incompatible .GI files and make your image an .ISO if you want.

You can also use the Tools > Options > Cache File Location menu to select where you want cache files (if any) saved. These settings only affect the Roxio copier, since the other copier is 'simple'.

post-208-1209267485.jpg

Much more useful, isn't it!! :)

Regards,

Brendon

cdanteek, Brendon,

Thanks for your help. I was using the dumbed down version by going down the Home > Copy > Copy Disc path. Looks like Disc Copier 8 via the Copy DVD Movies menu will give me more control. Just wish there was an option for auto delete at completion but no big deal.