Sign in to follow this  
james_tarloff

Emc 8 & Mfc71u.dll

Question

I have finally given up using EMC 8 and have gone on to using a competitor's product. I'm tired of uninstalling & reinstalliny EMC 8 only to have the product start - > Easy Creator Classic and have the program crash:

1) Folder icons disappear and/or

2) Folder icons show but their titles disappear and/or

3) Add/Burn and other buttons disappear and/or

4) In place of the buttons I get small rectangular black boxes

and after one or all of the above occur(s), I get the window stating that the program has to close due to a problem with mfc71u.dll.

At one time Roxio tech told me to copy mfc71u.dll from my windows/system folder to windows/system32 folder. It worked ! NOT!

The same above tech stated the above problem is really Microsoft's fault because they developed, wrote, and/or is part of one of their system files that they produce.

I give up! No more EMC. None of their solutions work even on a clean install on Win XP Pro. What really nurns is when you search their knowledge base I could find no mentiom of this problem. I have 2 other programs that use this file also - Studio 10 and my ATI driver.

2 answers to this question

<snip>

and after one or all of the above occur(s), I get the window stating that the program has to close due to a problem with mfc71u.dll.

At one time Roxio tech told me to copy mfc71u.dll from my windows/system folder to windows/system32 folder. It worked ! NOT!

The same above tech stated the above problem is really Microsoft's fault because they developed, wrote, and/or is part of one of their system files that they produce.

I give up! No more EMC. None of their solutions work even on a clean install on Win XP Pro. What really nurns is when you search their knowledge base I could find no mentiom of this problem. I have 2 other programs that use this file also - Studio 10 and my ATI driver.

James, the fact that you have two other programs using that DLL may well be the clue to your problem, and might also explain why the problem isn't common enough to get into the knowledgebase.

If you have several different versions of a DLL file installed on your system you can confuse Windows quite badly when it attempts to load both versions into the same part of memory. The solution is usually to pick the latest version (by version number, not date) and put that into the system32 folder, renaming or removing all other versions. This removes that problem with that DLL. The key is to have only one DLL with that name installed, which the tech didn't tell you.

I think this might be the problem you're having. The solution is worth a try - if it works you're happy, and if it doesn't work just replace or rename the DLLs to their original positions/names and your system is back where it was.

Try this and see if it helps...

Info on file:

mfc71u.dll is a Microsoft file, part of MFCDLL Shared Library and MS visual Studio .NET. v 7.10.3077.0, 1,047,552 bytes is the current version, which dates from 2003, I think. As trlowe ssys many apps include it in their own program folders.

Before you do anything , please re-install the dotnet 1.0 , and service pack and then install the dotnet 2.0 runtimes.

However when I check the modules loaded when I open creator classic (using What's Running or Process Explorer), I see that the one used by Creator Classic on my system is actually in C:\Windows|System32 folder. You could check if that is the case for you. Maybe the one used by Creator Classic has got corrupted. If you have another copy on your system, try copying it to the appropriate folder. You can also download it from

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mfc71u.

To see What's running on your system - get that from

http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/DownloadBeta.aspx

Process Explorer from

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

And as Brendon has said you can find the newist version on your system and replace the older ones.

or download the new version from the link above and save it on the main c drive and reboot and hit F5 and go into safe mode.

when you are in safe mode find the dll file and delete it and copy the new one into the system32 folder,

now do the following.

Open your run box from the start button,

type this in and we will unregister it.

regsvr32 /u "c:\windows\system32\mfc71u.dll"

then.

to Register it:

regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\mfc71u.dll"

this should fix the issue, now reboot and try the EMC app again.

Edited by rydall2000