Error Messages And Real Problems Since Installing & Using Easy Cd V. 6!

CassBH

Really hoping someone can help me. I have version 6.2.1.130 of Easy CD& DVD Burning program. Lately,I have been getting error messages and having problems with my computer which seem to be a result of this program. The error message is a blue screen with this message" "Microsoft Windows Error Reporting problem caused by Roxio CDUDF (cdudf_xp.sys)". My internet shuts down and my computer needs to reboot.

To make it even worse, I went and uninstalled the program using the Add/Remove Programs on my desktop. Now, when I put in a CD that I burned using the Roxio program, I am still having problems. Could it be that not only did the program mess things up, but that the CD that was burned using the program is now also a problem???? I am freaking out because this is the only copy of this CD with important pictures on it that I really need!

Can some one help me out? Has anyone had this problem before? I think I saw when doing a google search that this version did create problems for some people. How do I repair the damage???

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Cass

Really hoping someone can help me. I have version 6.2.1.130 of Easy CD& DVD Burning program. Lately,I have been getting error messages and having problems with my computer which seem to be a result of this program. The error message is a blue screen with this message" "Microsoft Windows Error Reporting problem caused by Roxio CDUDF (cdudf_xp.sys)". My internet shuts down and my computer needs to reboot.

To make it even worse, I went and uninstalled the program using the Add/Remove Programs on my desktop. Now, when I put in a CD that I burned using the Roxio program, I am still having problems. Could it be that not only did the program mess things up, but that the CD that was burned using the program is now also a problem???? I am freaking out because this is the only copy of this CD with important pictures on it that I really need!

Can some one help me out? Has anyone had this problem before? I think I saw when doing a google search that this version did create problems for some people. How do I repair the damage???

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Cass

Try uninstall in Add/Remove programs......then go here http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...mp;#entry197498 and run the Roxizap, which will remove any leftover bits and pieces.

Then re-install.

Try uninstall in Add/Remove programs......then go here http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...mp;#entry197498 and run the Roxizap, which will remove any leftover bits and pieces.

Then re-install.

Do I really want to reinstall, though, if there were problems with this version?Just wondering.

I will try what you suggested though and let you know how it works out. Thanks!

It sounds like you formatted the disc.

If you want to KEEP the data (rather than simply do a temporary thing like move a file), use a Sessions-based program such as Creator Classic - or, if you have WinXP, the built-iln WinXP burning.

Lynn

Sorry for the newbie question, but what do you mean that I "formatted" the disc? I do know that it is a disc I add to regularly, so I made sure I could do that when I ended each burning sessio with Roxio.

Is Creator Classic something I can download for free or do I have to go buy it?

Do you think, based on my explanation, that there is something wrong with the program and I should NOT reinstall it?

It will work for your version.

Ok, sorry for the paranoia,but when I click on the link, it says that if you don't want problems, you should basically understand that this is for version 4 & 5.The last thing I need are more issues as a result of this program! Are you sure there will be no problems?

Sorry for the newbie question, but what do you mean that I "formatted" the disc? I do know that it is a disc I add to regularly, so I made sure I could do that when I ended each burning sessio with Roxio.

Is Creator Classic something I can download for free or do I have to go buy it?

Do you think, based on my explanation, that there is something wrong with the program and I should NOT reinstall it?

If you go to the start button > programs > Roxio - you should be able to get to the main programs from there.

If you have been formatting, using Drag2Disc, you have been using a method which is inherantly unstable.

And if so, you might try a recovery program such as cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) - both have impressive testimonials on their websites and in the Roxio boards. Your odds are better if you used R media than RW media - both can be fornatted, and they are fairly similar except RW media can be erased and re-used.

A formatted disc that is beginning to go, or that has been ejected without giving Windows enough time to do its thing, will cause the kind of problems you described.

Lynn

If you go to the start button > programs > Roxio - you should be able to get to the main programs from there.

If you have been formatting, using Drag2Disc, you have been using a method which is inherantly unstable.

And if so, you might try a recovery program such as cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) - both have impressive testimonials on their websites and in the Roxio boards. Your odds are better if you used R media than RW media - both can be fornatted, and they are fairly similar except RW media can be erased and re-used.

A formatted disc that is beginning to go, or that has been ejected without giving Windows enough time to do its thing, will cause the kind of problems you described.

Lynn

1) I have been using the Drag2Disc, since I thought that was ok to use. Why would the program include such an easy, great feature if it is unstable?

2) I have deleted the Roxio program from my computer now. Do I still need to use some sort of recovery program? What does that do?

3) If I take the disc that I created with the Roxio program and burn a copy with another program, will that solve my problem of error messages when inserting the disc into my computer?

4) Is there a CD burning program that you can recommend that does not have these kind of issues?

thanks so much for your help!

1) I have been using the Drag2Disc, since I thought that was ok to use. Why would the program include such an easy, great feature if it is unstable?

2) I have deleted the Roxio program from my computer now. Do I still need to use some sort of recovery program? What does that do?

3) If I take the disc that I created with the Roxio program and burn a copy with another program, will that solve my problem of error messages when inserting the disc into my computer?

4) Is there a CD burning program that you can recommend that does not have these kind of issues?

This pinned post at the top of the main Version 6 forum answers most of your questions http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=923

If you want more info on Drag to Disc (it uses Packet Writing)....go into the search (top right on this page) and type in packet writing.

(1) Drag2Disc is included because some people know how to use Packet-Writing correctly, and a lot more believe they do. Been there, done that, lost the data, and learned something.

(2) Any Packet-Writing program needs a reader. WinXP has a built-in .udf reader; if you are trying to read it on a WinXP computer and can't, that is a VERY BAD sign.

(3) You will probably find another computer without Drag2Disc can't burn a copy of it. On the other hand, if you can read it, you can probably do a Sessions-based burn of the data. DO NOT FORMAT THE DISC!!!

(4) Roxio ECD/DVDC 6 is quite able to burn a disc without "those kinds of issues". DO NOT FORMAT THE DISC!!! Use the Start button to access the Roxio programs. Or, if you have WinXP, use the help function to find info on how to burn a disc. (I think it's 'burn a CD', but I'm not sure.) WinXP's burning might work like drag&drop BUT it is in Sessions and does not work with a formatted disc.

A recovery program can check if anything is readable on the disc with the "trial version", altho to recover the data you do have to buy the program. (And I remember one person assumed they just used the recovery program to access the disc from that point on, and lost the data anyway - if you can recover something with a recovery program - burn it to R media with a Sessions-based program like Roxio's main programs or WinXP.

Lynn

(1) Drag2Disc is included because some people know how to use Packet-Writing correctly, and a lot more believe they do. Been there, done that, lost the data, and learned something.

(2) Any Packet-Writing program needs a reader. WinXP has a built-in .udf reader; if you are trying to read it on a WinXP computer and can't, that is a VERY BAD sign.

(3) You will probably find another computer without Drag2Disc can't burn a copy of it. On the other hand, if you can read it, you can probably do a Sessions-based burn of the data. DO NOT FORMAT THE DISC!!!

(4) Roxio ECD/DVDC 6 is quite able to burn a disc without "those kinds of issues". DO NOT FORMAT THE DISC!!! Use the Start button to access the Roxio programs. Or, if you have WinXP, use the help function to find info on how to burn a disc. (I think it's 'burn a CD', but I'm not sure.) WinXP's burning might work like drag&drop BUT it is in Sessions and does not work with a formatted disc.

A recovery program can check if anything is readable on the disc with the "trial version", altho to recover the data you do have to buy the program. (And I remember one person assumed they just used the recovery program to access the disc from that point on, and lost the data anyway - if you can recover something with a recovery program - burn it to R media with a Sessions-based program like Roxio's main programs or WinXP.

Lynn

Yikes! OK, my head is spinning (remember, I am a newbie!). First off, I removed Roxio from my computer. It sounds like if I decide to reinstall it, I should be fine as long as I DO NOT use the Drag to Disc feature?

Also, if I do not use the D to D feature, will I still be able to add to the disc and will this other way of buring "close" the disc to adding any other data?

Thanks so much for all your help thus far. Sorry for the newbie questions, but I guess we all have to start somewhere, right?:)

First things first.

What is your Operating System?

And have you tried one of the recovery "Trial Vesions" to check if there is anything on the disc to recover?

Lynn

1) Windows XP

2) Not sure if I misspoke, but I can actually see the pictures that are on the disc, it is just that every so often, when I insert the disc, I will get an error message and my computer will want to reboot. However, I was actually able to view it several times with no problems since completely removing Easy Burn program. Course, now I am really, really hesitant to reinstall it, s right now, that leaves me with no burning capabilities (unless my computer has one built in and i have completely missed it!).

1) Windows XP

2) Not sure if I misspoke, but I can actually see the pictures that are on the disc, it is just that every so often, when I insert the disc, I will get an error message and my computer will want to reboot. However, I was actually able to view it several times with no problems since completely removing Easy Burn program. Course, now I am really, really hesitant to reinstall it, s right now, that leaves me with no burning capabilities (unless my computer has one built in and i have completely missed it!).

Xp has built in CD burning capabilities, just go into Help and Support and type in make a cd.

Will that program finalize a CD or will I be able to add to it periodically?

The default is not to, but there is a checkbox (I think it says 'make readable on all computers) if you want to finalize it - useful in situations when you don't know if another computer can read an unfinalized CD.

Something else to think about - RW media is useful if you want to test something (if it doesn't work, erase the CD; if it does, burn to R media), but I found it an eye-opener when someone pointed out that if the data is worth more than (or replacing it would cost more than) the cost of a CD-R (about 20 cents by the spindle), it's worth it to use a CD-R.

EDIT:

Oh - and as to being able to see the files - can you see the files NOW?

Telling WinXP to do something to a formatted disc before it's good-and-ready will usually damage the TOC [Table of Contents], and only a recovery program can find things after that.

Lynn

CassBH: Your troubles with your discs are typical for media failure. As Lynn pointed out this is far more prevalent in packet writing than you will ever see in authoring…

There are 2 ways to get to where you want to go! Classic, with Sessions or XP Burning.

For XP Burning you use Explorer to copy and paste files to the Burner. This 'stages' them. You then must click on the Wizard (it pops up) to actually burn to the disc. So it is a 2 step process.

In Classic you must make sure that when you click Burn, you are set to Track-at-Once : Don't Finalize Session!

For subsequent burns you must import previous sessions before adding anything or it will spit your disc out!

I don't have a picture of V6 anymore or I would post it… If you look in the Help files: Content: Adding more to a disc, the info is there.

With session writing you can add more and even "delete" but you never recover one byte of disc space! It always writes to new areas.

I say "delete" because if you import a session and remove a file from your project, it will never be shown on the disc again. It is like you deleted it, but in reality, it is still burned onto the disc and special program could recover it.

So a good anology is that Session Writing is like using a sheet of paper and a pen. You can Add, you can cross out but you can never erase and reuse space.

CassBH: Your troubles with your discs are typical for media failure. As Lynn pointed out this is far more prevalent in packet writing than you will ever see in authoring…

<snip>

For subsequent burns you must import previous sessions before adding anything or it will spit your disc out!

In earlier Versions, there was no automatic importing of the TOC [Table of Contents] to find the earlier data, and so people would find it had "disappeared". V.6 won't allow that problem, but it is a bit clunky.

I say "delete" because if you import a session and remove a file from your project, it will never be shown on the disc again. It is like you deleted it, but in reality, it is still burned onto the disc and special program could recover it.

So a good anology is that Session Writing is like using a sheet of paper and a pen. You can Add, you can cross out but you can never erase and reuse space.

To "delete" is to remove it form the TOC - a recovery program looks at the disc without a need of a TOC.

Lynn

Archived