Download Windows Xp Service Pack 3 Now

The Highlander

I downloaded SP3 (Thanks Neil) but just stored it on one of my flash drives for the time being. I too will wait for a while to see just what comments will be made using it before I try installing it.

Frank...

I don't think it's gonna be any big deal Frank.

It's mostly just a conglomeration of previously released fixes.If you've been running Windows Update all along you should have most of the fixes already.

There are a few minor enhancements that from what I'm reading most people won't even notice.

BTW-I have installed it on 2 different machines with no problems so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I was feeling brave today and installed SP3 on my laptop. Everything went smoothly. I think you're correct Terry. The download seemed very fast and installation didn't take long so I am assuming the update only downloaded what was needed.

I'm still wondering if my dual boot with Vista is causing the SP3 update to fail on my desktop. Anyone else dual booting with Vista and tried to install WinXP SP3?

Gary, I installed it here on my main machine (quad boot) with no problems - all systems are working as normal and EMC 7.5 still works fine on the 32 bit XP. GRUB (the main bootloader) still functions as the boot sector wasn't touched

Total time, including download, install and reboot was about 20 - 25 minutes (I can't be certain as I went for a coffee and it was ready for reboot when I got back)

IE6 and WMP9 are still there with no 'updates' or 'upgrades'

I was feeling brave today and installed SP3 on my laptop. Everything went smoothly. I think you're correct Terry. The download seemed very fast and installation didn't take long so I am assuming the update only downloaded what was needed.

I'm still wondering if my dual boot with Vista is causing the SP3 update to fail on my desktop. Anyone else dual booting with Vista and tried to install WinXP SP3?

Gary, when I originally when to install SP3 using Windows Update, it didn't work. It just said it failed. I ended up downloading the complete update and ran it manually and it worked fine. All my other XP systems (single boot) worked fine with WU but it may have been that WU was busy at the time I originally tried.

Mine works just fine Gary.My machine at home has a dual boot of Vista (w/SP1) and XP (w/SP3).So far so good.

I've made a few DVD's,captured some TV and made some music discs with no problems since the update.

I downloaded the whole package (300+ Mb) instead of letting Windows Update do the job.

Archived