• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

cokids

Roxio Cd Burner Question

:) I have purchased a new computer and the other day was trying to 'read' cd's burned on an earlier computer using Roxio software. My Windows program didn't recognize the files. It 'read' the cd as though it were totally empty/new. If I bought a new version of Roxio, would it recognize these files and make them readable on my new computer?

Don't know the version of the old software I used originally, but is the new software backward enabled, so that it reads old files?

Beth

:) I have purchased a new computer and the other day was trying to 'read' cd's burned on an earlier computer using Roxio software. My Windows program didn't recognize the files. It 'read' the cd as though it were totally empty/new. If I bought a new version of Roxio, would it recognize these files and make them readable on my new computer?

Don't know the version of the old software I used originally, but is the new software backward enabled, so that it reads old files?

Beth

It sounds like you used Direct CD to burn those CD's, which is not a good thing. If you have the Roxio software installed, and you still can't read them, you could try recovering the files with CD Roller or ISOBuster, but the programs are not free.

Beth

I am assuming you have WinXP. WinXP has a built-in .udf reader.

(1) if you used a Sessions-based program, such as DataProject or Classic Creator and CD-R, there shouldn't be a problem.

(2) if you used a Sessions-based program, such as DataProject or Classic Creator and CD-RW, the CD-RW could've faded out (which is why you should never use RW media if you want to KEEP the data).

(3) if you used a Packet-Writing program, such as DirectCD or Drag2Disc (or Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc)and CD-R, and closed the disc, WinXP would probably be able to read it.

(4) if you used a Packet-Writing program, such as DirectCD or Drag2Disc (or Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc)and CD-RW, the CD-RW could've faded out (which is why you should never use RW media if you want to KEEP the data).

If you used a CD-R, but not Sessions-based, it is possible you can recover the data with a recovery program such as cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) - both have impressive testimonials on their websites and in the Roxio boards. Both have "trial" vesions that enable you to see if anything can be recovered before you have to pay.

If you used CD-RW, you can TRY one of the above, but the odds are poor.

If you want to KEEP the data, always use R media (never RW), and NEVER format the disc.

If you didn't, condolences, and welcome to the club.

Lynn