REDWAGON

Class Action Suit Against Western Digital

I wonder who else might have received an e-mail from Western Digital with a form to fill out and send back to them wanting to know what steps you personally want to take in the on going suit against them.

I have about 7 WD hard disks that I had registered with WD. The suit was brought do to a difference of how WD was advertising the capacity of their HD's. Example: WD advertises one of it's drives as 80GB. However when it is formatted it only hold around 74GB. From what I can tell WD suggests that is only because of the way bytes are calculated.

Anyway, if you want to be part of the settlement, and after it is settled, WD will give you free a backup program, rather than a new HD or money back etc. Either that or you can op out of the suit, get an attorney of your own and fight it, or agree to getting the free backup program. I opted to get the free program. LOL :)

Frank..

I wonder who else might have received an e-mail from Western Digital with a form to fill out and send back to them wanting to know what steps you personally want to take in the on going suit against them.

I have about 7 WD hard disks that I had registered with WD. The suit was brought do to a difference of how WD was advertising the capacity of their HD's. Example: WD advertises one of it's drives as 80GB. However when it is formatted it only hold around 74GB. From what I can tell WD suggests that is only because of the way bytes are calculated.

Anyway, if you want to be part of the settlement, and after it is settled, WD will give you free a backup program, rather than a new HD or money back etc. Either that or you can op out of the suit, get an attorney of your own and fight it, or agree to getting the free backup program. I opted to get the free program. LOL :)

Frank..

I have a few WD drives but have recieved nothing. Actually, I've only registered 1 or 2 of them so they might not even know me.

Heck, I'm just now finding out that Seagate is buying Maxtor!

I guess I should register my hard drive that is still in the box. I think I would opt for the back up too.

Sorry I didn't give a web site address for all the information regarding this action, but the details are here:

The time table for the purchased drives were between March 22, 2001 and February 15, 2006.

http://www.wdc.com/settlement.

That's to bad about Seagate buying Maxtor. I never thought Seagate HD's were that good anyway, based on a couple I had owned in the past. Both lasted about a year and then went south on me !

(Personal observation).

Frank.....

Sorry I didn't give a web site address for all the information regarding this action, but the details are here:

The time table for the purchased drives were between March 22, 2001 and February 15, 2006.

http://www.wdc.com/settlement.

That's to bad about Seagate buying Maxtor. I never thought Seagate HD's were that good anyway, based on a couple I had owned in the past. Both lasted about a year and then went south on me !

(Personal observation).

Frank.....

Yeah, I wish Conner was still making hard drives. :) Actually, I think Conner became a part of Seagate.

I have had good luck with my Seagates. I have never had a problem with any of them, nor have I had trouble with my Maxtor's.

Edited by grandpabruce

Seagate had a problem with their Singapore factory quite a long time ago, where the platter surface lubricant went gummy and heads stuck to the platter as the drive cooled. The problem was called "stiction" and in bad cases the platter would fail to spin up, or else would rip the head off its tiny stalk.

I went to WD then, and have 4 of their drives here now, totalling a TB. They are good drives, and I knew how much they held when I bought them.

Don't all drive vendors count in millions (1,000,000) instead of Megabytes?

I guess not Brendon as that's what the class action suit is all about.

And maybe that's what happened to my Seagate drives. Do you suppose ?

Frank....

Don't know about your Seagates, Frank. It was the old ST-506 interface drives which had the problem.

They put Seagate 10G in X-Boxes (even if they are too small) so either they have a better reputation now, or [being made in China] they're very cheap.

I'm not sure that having North Americans adopt the Japanese warcry ( SoSumi! ) so often was such a good idea. The only ones getting rich are the lawyers, and the criminal justice system gets slowed by all the civil suits.

You sure got that last paragraph right Brendon !!! :)

Frank....

As I remember Bruce Seagate did gobble up Conner. The only reason I keep buying WD drives is I have had so much good luck with them. Short story---On one instance I bought an OEM WD 40GB drive at a computer show in LA and when I went to register it, up popped this warning that it was a stolen drive. Well, after calling WD and going through several of their top guys and giving them all of the information as to where and when I bought the drive, they not only sent a new one to me but also sent me another new 80GB one. So now I am to greatful to them to stop using their products.

Frank...

Wow.. law suites everywhere. I got notice that there was a problem with the LCD screens on my Sony digital camcorder. It's already 5 years old. No idea what kind of compensation. A few weeks ago, I got some free DVD rental coupons from Hollywood because of some class action suit. Now with the Western Digital drives. I've got back up software that I really like so I'll not do anything.

Wow.. law suites everywhere. I got notice that there was a problem with the LCD screens on my Sony digital camcorder. It's already 5 years old. No idea what kind of compensation. A few weeks ago, I got some free DVD rental coupons from Hollywood because of some class action suit. Now with the Western Digital drives. I've got back up software that I really like so I'll not do anything.

Perhaps we could start a class action suite regarding DVDs that only hold 4.3GB but are advertised as 4.7GB. If we win, we could buy enough beer, etc for all gurus for years to come! :)

Any lawyers out there?

Edited by myguggi

Perhaps we could start a class action suite regarding DVDs that only hold 4.3GB but are advertised as 4.7GB. If we win, we could buy enough beer, etc for all gurus for years to come! :)

Any lawyers out there?

Thank god all that suing thing has not taken off here ,,,, this sort of thing is a bit over board, i mean you buy a product and it works for 5 years then you sue when it crashes , if you had the thing made of titanium or something indestructible, then i would agree, but you pay for what you get.... cheap aluminum with light moving parts.... things fail...shippers drop pallets and people drop box's , how can they be reasonable for fright half way around the world??

But on a good note, i liked conner drives as well.....ruggied units (military used them in there first field unit computers)

miss them , now

Thank god all that suing thing has not taken off here ,,,, this sort of thing is a bit over board, i mean you buy a product and it works for 5 years then you sue when it crashes , if you had the thing made of titanium or something indestructible, then i would agree, but you pay for what you get.... cheap aluminum with light moving parts.... things fail...shippers drop pallets and people drop box's , how can they be reasonable for fright half way around the world??

But on a good note, i liked conner drives as well.....ruggied units (military used them in there first field unit computers)

miss them , now

I think I might have an old Conner drive sitting in a drawer someplace still. Not big enough to be worth anything anymore. I think it was a Conner 800MB drive I got (for about $400) when I got my first HP CD writer (for about $1200). Enough to hold a whole CD (back when they were nominally 74 minutes long).

I'm impressed that the Seagate drive I just got came with a 5 year warranty. Hopefully I won't have to use it (the warranty), or if I do, it'll give me warning enough to back up everything first!

(Sorry for all the parenthetical comments.) (Oops! Another one.)