• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Spin Doctor Questions

mlloyd

Question

System: Mac OS X 10.4.11

Toast 9.0.2

I have two questions:

1. When recording an internet stream such as one of the radio stations from iTunes. I first open up Spin Doctor and click on Start a new recording. I have the radio station playing already, it is clear and there are no issues with it. I then switch the input device to CD Spin Doctor Capture Support and have the box checked that say Play Input Through Speakers. The music that I now hear once I do this is slowed down. Almost like an old record when you turn down the speed. Then a few seconds later a buzzing sound comes out of the speakers. If I uncheck the Play Input Through Speakers then recheck it, the slowed down music continues for another few seconds then the buzzing sounds again.

If I record something, there is a slight buzzing sound in the recording. Once the recording is finished and it goes to the wave form application then the radio plays normally again through iTunes.

2. I wanted to use Spin Doctor to find some track names for me but when I tried to import an .mp3 I found out that it would only import .aif files. Do I really have to export my mp3 files to aif before doing this?

8 answers to this question

System: Mac OS X 10.4.11

Toast 9.0.2

I have two questions:

1. When recording an internet stream such as one of the radio stations from iTunes. I first open up Spin Doctor and click on Start a new recording. I have the radio station playing already, it is clear and there are no issues with it. I then switch the input device to CD Spin Doctor Capture Support and have the box checked that say Play Input Through Speakers. The music that I now hear once I do this is slowed down. Almost like an old record when you turn down the speed. Then a few seconds later a buzzing sound comes out of the speakers. If I uncheck the Play Input Through Speakers then recheck it, the slowed down music continues for another few seconds then the buzzing sounds again.

If I record something, there is a slight buzzing sound in the recording. Once the recording is finished and it goes to the wave form application then the radio plays normally again through iTunes.

Be certain to adjust the volume setting in iTunes so that the levels meters in Spin Doctor do not enter the red zone.

2. I wanted to use Spin Doctor to find some track names for me but when I tried to import an .mp3 I found out that it would only import .aif files. Do I really have to export my mp3 files to aif before doing this?

Spin Doctor only works with AIFF sources.

In that case I'd move the volume slide in iTunes up. But this obviously isn't why you're having the problem. I've just done some testing with my Mac and didn't encounter any problem. What Mac do you have?

Intel Core Duo - 2.16 ghz

Another interesting note, the file when played through iTunes plays without any distortion. When I open it in with Spin Doctor I can see the waveform displaying the distortion and can hear it. Weird that it doesnt show up in iTunes.

Another interesting note, the file when played through iTunes plays without any distortion. When I open it in with Spin Doctor I can see the waveform displaying the distortion and can hear it. Weird that it doesnt show up in iTunes.

Just saw this in the Toast 8 forum:

I have just bought Toast 9, and I get the same hum instead of music a few minutes after a recording starts.

Seems OK if I turn off "Play Input through Speakers" once recording starts.

PowerMac G5 OS X V10.5.5, Toast V9.0.2, CD Spin Doctor V5.0.1.617t

This is exactly the same problem I have.

So this means that Spin Doctor is capturing the audio okay but can't read it for playback or creating waveform without adding distortion. Check the Audio folders in your user and root libraries for third-party VST plugins. If any are present remove them temporarily to see if this is having some affect on Spin Doctor.

So this means that Spin Doctor is capturing the audio okay but can't read it for playback or creating waveform without adding distortion. Check the Audio folders in your user and root libraries for third-party VST plugins. If any are present remove them temporarily to see if this is having some affect on Spin Doctor.

Nope, nothing in either one of those.

Nope, nothing in either one of those.

I'm sorry but I'm at a loss to explain how Spin Doctor could fail to display the waveform correctly from an AIFF file. Something is interfering with it. You might try reinstalling Spin Doctor and/or replace the its plist file in your user>Library>Preferences folder. This one is beyond me. Maybe a Roxio person can suggest something.

Archived