Problem With Playing A Converted Avi

blongtrance@adelphia.net

Question

I am burning/converting an avi file to a DVD+R disk. The disk will play on my computer, but not on my Sony DVD Player. The DVD player does support DVD+R disks. I burnt a WMV file using the same procedure using the same disks. It plays just fine on the DVD player, which woulds suggest the DVD player will read the converted file encoding. Suggestions?

7 answers to this question

What are you encoding to and how are you doing this?If all you did was burn the file to a dvd then the player won't play avi files.If you actually used MyDVD and encoded it to mpeg and then burned there shouldn't be any difference in the 2.So what was your procedure?

What are you encoding to and how are you doing this?If all you did was burn the file to a dvd then the player won't play avi files.If you actually used MyDVD and encoded it to mpeg and then burned there shouldn't be any difference in the 2.So what was your procedure?

Ditto to what you've said. Change it to an mpeg. Another tip that might help is burn it to your local drive as an ISO file. Then do Disk Copy from the ISO to the disk.

Disc copy won't encode.What you need to do is use MyDVD to encode the movie and burn it to an iso file.After it is done then use Disc Copy to burn it to a DVD.Make sure when you use MyDVD that you uncheck the top box to burn to disc and only have the burn to image box checked.After you use this process you should be able to play it in your standalone player.

:) no problem gotta stay on our toes. I have found that when most people say 'AVI' (especially with Disc Copier), 9 times out of 10 the files are DivX.

Go to www.divx.com and download some of the Bud comermcials and movie trailers. Disc Copier does a great job converting them and supports widescreen, too.

I am burning/converting an avi file to a DVD+R disk. The disk will play on my computer, but not on my Sony DVD Player. The DVD player does support DVD+R disks. I burnt a WMV file using the same procedure using the same disks. It plays just fine on the DVD player, which woulds suggest the DVD player will read the converted file encoding. Suggestions?

If you are using the video compilation, you shouldn't have any problems using DivX AVI files. I've never tried .WMV files. Disc Copier does convert the DivX to regular DVD files and can also create a quickie menu if you choose.

Archived