• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Unable To Read Cd-r From A Windows Pc

cfbuser

Question

Sometimes I receive CD-R media with files which were burned with a Windows (2000, XP or Vista) PC which are not recognized by the MacOS (X, 10.4.11 to be exact) nor by Toast Titanium 8.

If I insert such a CD, I get a message telling me "The CD/DVD inserted cannot be read by this computer" When I open Toast Titanium 8 first, then insert the CD and chose "Recorder / Disc Info" menu, I get a dialog telling me something about 2 sessions on the deisc, the last one being unfinished (or open):

***Start Text taken from the Disc Info window

Media type: CD-R

Space available: 678.6 MB

Space used: 2 MB

Writing Speed: 8x, 24x

Title: 28 Mrz 2008

Content type: Data

File system: UDF

Tracks: 1

Sessions: 1

Details:

Session 1 TAO

>Title 1

>>UDF 28 Mrz 2008

>>UDF Revision: 2.0.1

Session 2 (open)

***End Text taken from the Disc Info window

What other possibility do I have to extract the data from that CD? Any Win PC seems to be able to open the CD, but on a Mac?

Thanks, Christian

2 answers to this question

In any case, this disc was not written in a format Macs can read.

Thanks. I don't yet know what the person did who burned the CD. I took it to a friend with a PC, and even his machine could not recognize anything on the disc...

Christian

I believe this disc was burned using packet writing which Macs don't support. UDF isn't the correct format for CD-R media. It should have been burned as ISO9660 on a PC which is why I'm guessing that packet writing was used. However, I always thought this required CD-RW discs on a PC. Packet writing is where a disc is used similar to a small hard drive where content can be added (or deleted if on a CD-RW) without writing sessions.

In any case, this disc was not written in a format Macs can read.

Archived