Toast And 800mb / 90 Min Cd-r's

mclothie

Question

I would like to be able to burn to high-capacity CD-R's on my iBook if possible. The reason that I want to fit more on a disk is because I want to have more music in the car on the same amount of disks. Unfortunately my car's autochanger doesn't read MP3 disks or DVD's, so I'm attempting to maximise the space available on a regular audio disk using standard AIFF files.

I have found, especially with the older albums I listen to, that I can fit two into about 88-90 mins on average. This means that instead of having 6 albums to choose from, I can potentially have 12! So, it's got to be worth a shot.

I bought some high capacity CD-R's of 800MB/90mins,and noted the CD packing stated that the increased capacity could only be taken advantage of with suitable hardware and software. Sure enough, when I put the disk in my 12" iBook combo-drive, it said it was a 700MB disk and wouldn't recognise the extra capacity. This was a bit disappointing as I have a funky new iBook with the latest versions of OS X and Toast Titanium.

The kit I'm using is a 2005 12" iBook 1.33GHz G4, with standard combo-drive, OS 10.4.5 with Toast Titanium v7.0.2.

So, my questions are:

1. Is there a Combo-drive firmware update / haxy / Toast plug-in / Toast-enhancing shareware package which will enable the extra capacity to be recognised by the drive and so be used?

2. Alternatively, can anyone recommend an external CD-R burner that will support the higher capacity CD-R's with my Toast package?

3. If I succeed in burning a higher-capacity CD, will it still be generally compatible with an audio CD player, or am I just wasting my time, and potentially my money?

Thanks for your help! :)

4 answers to this question

Why in the world you you want to burn an 800MB disc when they are out of spec and will not work in most drives or CD-Player? It just a waste of money for the media. Even if Toast could burn them, your combo drive won't work well with them.

The reason I want to try burning them was, I thought, explained quite thoroughly in my original post. :)

And it's not my combo drive I want to use them on once I've burned them, it's my car's autochanger.

However, your reply was as I suspected and feared, and was the reason for question number 3 - which in a round about way, I guess you've answered. :huh:

EDIT: Spelling!

Toast doesn 't support burning more than 700 MB to a CD. I don't know about other options.

I'm not very impressed by that, considering it's the only commercial choice for the Macintosh platform that I know of...has anybody else got any ideas as to what I could do?

Thanks.

Why in the world would you want to burn an 800MB disc when they are out of spec and will not work in most drives or CD-Player? It's just a waste of money for the media. Even if Toast could burn them, your combo drive and auto-changer won't work well with them.

Archived