Overwritten Pics - Help!

simon324

I have Photosuite 8.1 on my computer. I originally had an old 2.1 Sony digital camera, and when I bought another newer Sony camera and downloaded the pics onto my computer, it assigned the new pics the same filename ( eg. DSC00001 and so on...). Now it has overwritten my old pics even though I saved the new pics to a different album! When I first open Photosuite and open the album, it shows the old thumbnails and then promptly covers over them with the new thumbnails. When I click on the thumbnail it only brings up the new picture. HELP!!!

I have Photosuite 8.1 on my computer. I originally had an old 2.1 Sony digital camera, and when I bought another newer Sony camera and downloaded the pics onto my computer, it assigned the new pics the same filename ( eg. DSC00001 and so on...). Now it has overwritten my old pics even though I saved the new pics to a different album! When I first open Photosuite and open the album, it shows the old thumbnails and then promptly covers over them with the new thumbnails. When I click on the thumbnail it only brings up the new picture. HELP!!!

It depends on how those photos were downloaded.

If the download put the new pics in a different folder then your older pictures are still in that folder. However, if it automatically downloaded those pictures to the same folder, the filename has been overwritten and Windows won't be able to find them.

If you suspect that the files have been overwritten, they pictures may still be on your computer, but you'll need data recovery software to recover them. There are several free data recovery software versions which you can find by doing a google search. (This is best done from a second computer) You'll need to download to and run the software from a CD/ USB drive/ or other external device because you want to use the computer as little as possible so that Windows won't use the space where the old pictures are located.

If you don't think that the files have been overwritten, you could do a Windows/ Search for DSC pictures to see which folder they are in. My cameras usually download to a different subfolder each time.

I always back up my photos to CDs immediately and then upload them to a free photo sharing service.... more info here: http://www.roxio.com/enu/solutions/roxiolabs/resources.html

I had a bad scare when I thought I'd overwritten some pictures too.

Archived