• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dmsm Vs Dmss: Space Used On Dvd

mjfrankel

Question

In creating a project in My DVD, adding a dmss file created in slideshow uses only a fraction of the space required for the same slideshow saved as a dmsm file in Videowave, even if no editing was done. I am curious to know the reason and if there is any difference in the fidelity or clarity of the images in the two files.

2 answers to this question

In creating a project in My DVD, adding a dmss file created in slideshow uses only a fraction of the space required for the same slideshow saved as a dmsm file in Videowave, even if no editing was done. I am curious to know the reason and if there is any difference in the fidelity or clarity of the images in the two files.

Both files are simply road maps to the original audio/video files. In Video Wave, you have all the options available to you so you are starting from scratch. In Slide Show Assistant, you are limited by what you can change so you do not have all the options. I would also imagine that the programming for the canned show was easier and could be "optimized".

All videos that you are going to put on a DVD, if the total time is less than one hour, will be 720 by 480 with a bit rate of about 9. In that case the slide shows quality would be identical. If you want to put up to 2 hours on a DVD then the bit rate will decrease giving less visual quality. Never try to put more on a DVD or you'll end up with problems unless you are using a special compression like DivX. Do not look at file size, time is the controlling factor.

As to how they will look to you, only that can be answered by you looking with your equipment. That's why they make DVD RW.

Comparing the dmss file to the dmsd file means absolutely nothing since they are, like sknis states, simply roadmaps on how to create your project. They do not get burned to a DVD. If the setup of both project files is identical, then identical DVDs will be produced with identical sizes.

Archived