• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Quicktime - Movie Could Not Be Opened. The File Is Not A Movie File.

Frank S.

Question

After creating a .mov file or .mp4 file using Toast 9.0.2 from an unprotected DVD, I get "The movie could not be opened. The file is not a movie file." from QuickTime when I try to open it. I'm using QuickTime Pro 7.4.5, have Tiger 10.4.11 on my Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5. I tried reinstalling QuickTime, to no avail. The files are big enough to be movies files (.mov is 202 meg, .mp4 is 310 meg). Any ideas?

3 answers to this question

What settings did you use in Toast to create the .mov and .mp4 file. I presume you used the VIDEO_TS setting in the Convert window, but what what was the conversion format called when you clicked the red button?

From the time you posted until now I've been trying to re-create the problem. I was trying to make a QuickTime Movie, and was using the mpeg-4 Video conversion format. I had tried a different quality setting, but got the same "not a movie file" both times. Reinstalled the program and got the same. So I posted here. But now, after trying a different format from mpeg-4 (such as h264, etc), and even going back to mpeg-4, it won't do it again, and the movies I'm creating now are working. The original movies I made still don't work, so they must have been encrypted wrong somehow, I guess. I think I've tried every combination! So we'll be happy it's working and move on, I suppose. Thanks.

I think I figured it out... In an effort to create a file that was as "universal" as I reasonably could, I thought it'd be a good idea to make it so it could stream also. So I checked "Enable Streaming"... Bad idea. That makes it not work, unless it's on a website capable of doing streaming video. Live and learn.

Archived