• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cd-text In 'copy Disc' Utility

RB599

Question

I created several audio CDs with CD-Text - when played in my auto, the CD-Text showed up fine but I had some disk skipping problems.

So, I used Roxio's 'Copy Disc' utility to copy these discs to another brand of media.

Now, the copies play fine, but the CD-Text was removed!

I thought 'Copy Disc' just did a sector-by-sector copy, why didn't that bring the CD-Text along with it?

8 answers to this question

I don't know what RB599 has or hasn't been doing, but against his advice I just went and actually tried it out a number of times, and in different ways. In each case the CD-Text was copied from the original and replicated in the copy.

I checked a music CD in another system with the HACP player, to verify it had CD-Text. My Vista system had never seen this CD.

I disconnected the Vista system from the Internet and used the Roxio Central Copy utility [Home > Copy > Copy Disc] to copy the CD from my BenQ DW1640 to my LG drive, and then rebooted Windows.

I then copied the original from the BenQ to the BenQ, and rebooted Windows.

I then used Home > Create Disc Image to make a .GI image of the original [.ISO was not available, of course, for an audio disc] and then Home > Burn Disc Image to Disc to burn the .GI file to another CD, and rebooted Windows.

I then used the HACP player to scan each of the three CDs I had made, deleting the music list from HACP.ini after each operation and restarting Windows. In each case the HACP player read the CD-Text from the new CD, displayed it, and wrote it into HACP.ini. I tried the second new disc on my wife's laptop, with the same result.

Gracenote was not involved in this operation, since the computer was disconnected from the Internet. The computer had never seen that CD before, and the HACP cache was emptied before each new CD was scanned by HACP. HACP showed the text on my wife's laptop which was not connected, and had not seen that CD before.

QED, I think.

Regards,

Brendon

Well, it seems pretty clear that it is working properly for others - it must be some setting or hardware interaction on my system.

Thanks for all of the effort everyone has put into testing this.

You're welcome to the effort, and information from Roxio would be excellent. However the management have seemed unwilling to have us know "proprietory" information these past few years.

I'm sorry I can't point you to some setting to toggle, but just when I think I've got the hang of it they change everything and I have to start deciphering things again.

I tried it and it worked just fine.

I made a cd using Music Disc Creator making sure to add the cd-text.The finished disc was able to display the CD-Text on 2 different players on my PC.

Then I used the Copy Disc app using 2 different drives.When I play the disc in either player I still get the Cd-Text.

To make sure it wasn't just the player remembering the info from the original the first time I tried I used Windows Media Player to read the original.I then downloaded a brand new free player (VUPlayer) to see if I still got it from the copy,I did.

Just an idea but if you used 2 drives to make the copy are you sure that both drives write and read CD-Text?Most new drives do but if it's an older drive it mat not.

Mine was a compilation also so even if it did go to the net to look up the info it wouldn't find it.

That's also why I also used 2 different players.The player will remember the info if it sees it once,At least WMP does.

The only thing I know of that you have to set is checking the CD-Text box in the burn properties.

I tried it and it worked just fine.

I made a cd using Music Disc Creator making sure to add the cd-text.The finished disc was able to display the CD-Text on 2 different players on my PC.

Then I used the Copy Disc app using 2 different drives.When I play the disc in either player I still get the Cd-Text.

To make sure it wasn't just the player remembering the info from the original the first time I tried I used Windows Media Player to read the original.I then downloaded a brand new free player (VUPlayer) to see if I still got it from the copy,I did.

Just an idea but if you used 2 drives to make the copy are you sure that both drives write and read CD-Text?Most new drives do but if it's an older drive it mat not.

I only have one drive in my PC, so it is not a drive compatibility problem.

I only have one drive in my PC, so it is not a drive compatibility problem.

Well, that may be the problem. It may not keep the CD-Text info when it buffers it to the HD. I've never tried that, so I don't know if it buffers the individual tracks, or makes an "image" type file. If it does the individual tracks, then they would need to get the CD-Text info as their track names. If you can find where it's buffering the tracks, and see what's there, you might be able to figure it out. I'd have to try it when I got home.

More info: when I put the original discs in to make the copy, the little GraceNote icon popped up, and the Roxio app asked me if I wanted to upload this new CD to the database. Well, it was just a personal compilation, I had no interest in uploading anything, so I said 'no'.

So, I suggest that the reason tbrewst had CD-text on the duplicates is because Disc Copy wrote it back from your personal disc database, not because Disc Copy actually copied it from the source discs.

In my case, the source discs had been created by another app (iTunes), and although the discs had the CD-text info, the EMC 10 application did not have a record of what had been written to the original discs.

Try borrowing a CD with CD-text from a friend, making a copy without uploading the track names to GraceNote - I bet you will find that the Roxio app is not making a sector-by-sector copy, but rather just creating a new audio CD from the tracks on your original CD.

Or better yet, don't waste any more discs on this minor problem - I've already wasted 6. It would be more efficient if Roxio would just tell us exactly how the Disc Copy app works.

Archived