• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

9.1 Update

DonY

Question

re: "This Easy Media Creator 9.1 update does not offer any new features except for Windows Vista Certification. While the update will work with Windows XP and Windows 2000, it is not a mandatory update. All programs except CinePlayer are supported on Windows 2000."

Then why install? Does this version actually work? I have spent the past 4 days trying to be able to make a DVD copy. I have done clean uninstall per the specified steps. Reinstall of EMC 9 after spending 1 day just to get the CD key set properly. Now I try to copy a DVD and the same thing happens. It copies 256-512 mb and then spends another hour or more as the bar graph progresses steadily but no copy is done and the program not only hangs but it hangs the entire PC (Windows XP). Cannot even restart with my power button; I have to pull the plug. I agree with others who have posted that ask why are such steps required for a product that is sold so widely. Are their viable alternatives? What magazine or forum can we post warnings of this crapy software?

Original question: Does 9.1 actually run and correct the problems inherent in EMC 9?

7 answers to this question

Sorry - hand-holding is not a job requirement here (apart from which my arms aren't long enough to cross the Atlantic)

I don't use either McAfee or Norton as I find both of them too problematic. You are sitting at your machine and you will have to do the configuration yourself

Just as a FYI - McAfee DOES wipe the registry without warning, as does Norton

Your rant makes no sense in the harsh light of reality… V9 was packaged with Dell HP/Compact and other computer manufactures. That amounts to over 1 million installs a month + Retail sales!

If there were actually something wrong with the software, it would have been noticed during the year it was made.

The V9.1 update only increases Vista compatibility.

You need to print out the Clean Install procedure and follow it to the letter.

Your rant makes no sense in the harsh light of reality… V9 was packaged with Dell HP/Compact and other computer manufactures. That amounts to over 1 million installs a month + Retail sales!

If there were actually something wrong with the software, it would have been noticed during the year it was made.

The V9.1 update only increases Vista compatibility.

You need to print out the Clean Install procedure and follow it to the letter.

I followed the clean install to the letter. I have disabled my McAfee and reinstalled EMC9, but it still hangs. Granted I am in a "rant" mode as I have never had to go through such steps on any packaged sfw product and I have been working In IT since '72. From the forum comments it is obvious that I am not the only one expressing concern. I just want the thing to work. I promised a customer that I would make him copies of his DVD by this Wednesday. That promise was made over 2 weeks ago and all I have to show for it is one DVD that was successfully copied.

One thing I did notice in going through my uninstall steps is that after completing all the steps, I noticed that I still had some Roxio entries when I ran the "services.msc". Is this normal? If not how do I remove them as well? Hey, rant or not (it was 2:00 Pm when I did my post), I'm just trying to get it to work. Is there specific steps I should take to disable the parts of McAfee that are causing the problem? Is there an anti-virus package that does not cause these problems that you can suggest.

Run the MS Cleanup tool as described - also check in hidden folders for any Roxio or Sonic ones (usually in Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data)

The AV part of the McAfee and Norton suites aren't the problem - it's the registry cleaners (One Button Checkup and so on). Just configure those to ignore any Roxio and Sonic entries

Run the MS Cleanup tool as described - also check in hidden folders for any Roxio or Sonic ones (usually in Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data)

The AV part of the McAfee and Norton suites aren't the problem - it's the registry cleaners (One Button Checkup and so on). Just configure those to ignore any Roxio and Sonic entries

As stated in my original email, I did the MS Cleanup tool & removed all occurances of Roxio/Sonic that I could find per the detiled instructionns provide -- except for the entries in "services.msc" which I did not see a way to delete them.

I run McAfee from Security Center. Can you tell me how to "it's the registry cleaners (One Button Checkup and so on). Just configure those to ignore any Roxio and Sonic entries"?

Moreover, if McAfee is altering the registry (which McAfee says it does not without notification & approval by user), then can someone tell me where this registry entry is so I can back it up and just do a copy if it get removed? Why is this not far better than the uninstall/reinstall marathon?

As stated in my original email, I did the MS Cleanup tool & removed all occurances of Roxio/Sonic that I could find per the detiled instructionns provide -- except for the entries in "services.msc" which I did not see a way to delete them.

I run McAfee from Security Center. Can you tell me how to "it's the registry cleaners (One Button Checkup and so on). Just configure those to ignore any Roxio and Sonic entries"?

Moreover, if McAfee is altering the registry (which McAfee says it does not without notification & approval by user), then can someone tell me where this registry entry is so I can back it up and just do a copy if it get removed? Why is this not far better than the uninstall/reinstall marathon?

Well, so much for getting any meanngful support on this product. Time to move to another product.

Archived