• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

trackfive

Hd-dvd As Dvd... Error Result Code = -50

Question

I'm trying to make an HD-DVD disc out of an HD QuickTime file saved in the ProRes 422 codec (which is installed on my system). I'm using the following settings:

• No Menu
  • Auto-play disc on insert
  • Automatic Enoding at Best Quality
  • DVD as the Format

I want the disc to be burned onto a regular DVD so I select "DVD" in the "Save Disc Image as:" dialog... this is what I do when I burn a Blu-ray image that works (from the same exact QuickTime file).

So what happens is, Toast goes through the whole process of encoding the video, etc, then when it gets to 100% complete, the progress bar goes away, then I'm presented with a dialog that reads:

Couldn't complete the last command because of a Mac OS Error.
Result Code = -50

Anyone have any idea on this? Anyone else get this error?

I've had no issues making a Blu-ray from this video file, but the HD-DVD file won't work.

3 answers to this question

You are confusing HD-DVD with Bluray which are two separate formats. HD-DVD was invented by Toshiba who no longer make HD-DVD players. Bluray was invented by Sony and is now the only HD format available to consumers.

Freecam

You are confusing HD-DVD with Bluray which are two separate formats. HD-DVD was invented by Toshiba who no longer make HD-DVD players. Bluray was invented by Sony and is now the only HD format available to consumers.

Freecam

Confusing the two? What are you talking about? I'm well aware of the details of Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD and how HD-DVD is being phased out... that's not what's in question here. The question is why can I build a perfectly good Blu-ray disc image and not an HD-DVD disc image using the same QuickTime file. When building the Blu-ray image, I get no errors, when I build the HD-DVD image, I get the error -50. My client is using an HD-DVD player at a trade show and that's why I need to deliver them a burnable image in HD-DVD format that can be burned on a regular DVD media.

Edited by trackfive

Maybe you have set the data rate for encoding too high? Bluray is 25 MBS and HD-DVD is 15 MBS.

Freecam

The other issue is when you burn to DVD-R media you cannot set the data rate as you would on Bluray or HD-DVD. I normally set it to about 16 MBS for Bluray. I haven't tried it for HD-DVD so I don't know how that player would behave

with that high a data rate. The Mac OS error could be caused by a corrupted file or a bug with HD-DVD.

Freecam