Emc 10 - Sound Editor - Recording Volume Adjustment

haz_ams

Question

Previously, I had EMC 7 I inherited on a previous computer. Got a new one (Dell Windows XP) and installed EMC 7. I wasn't able to adjust the recording level in Sound Editor. Support said 7 was no longer a supported product and I should buy EMC 10. Can't adjust the Recording Level in 10 either. I've received and followed all the updates and setting adjustments Support has offered - but it still doesn't work.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and more importantly - does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

15 answers to this question

The Realtek is the built in sound on your motherboard.Do you have another sound device or is that the only one?If it's the only one and disable it you won't have any sound.

If a few of your volume controls are greyed out then I think you may have a problem with it's setup.You might try uninstalling the drivers,deleting the device in Device Manager and rebooting.

When you reboot Windows will find the device again and ask for drivers.Make sure you've downloaded the latest drivers and install them and then see if you have more controls.

Line-in is pretty much a default input on all sound devices and should come up with it's controls.

If the Realtek is all you have you may consider investing in an add-in sound card.Others on here have reported having trouble with the Realtek HD system.Others have no problems.

Thanks Steve for your reply.

No, my unit is not battery powered. I will follow your advice concerning hooking it up.

BTW - I have seen several comments on the forum that seem to disparage hubs. I have two printers, two external hard drives and a card reader running through a 7 port hub. Is this a bad thing? My computer does not have enough ports to accomodate everything.

Frank

The printers, the hard drive and perhaps the card reader and the hub are all AC powered so there is no problem except that they may all be trying to send/receive information from/to your computer at the same time. The hub would be a bottleneck but you may not even notice it.

The Realtek is the built in sound on your motherboard.Do you have another sound device or is that the only one?If it's the only one and disable it you won't have any sound.

If a few of your volume controls are greyed out then I think you may have a problem with it's setup.You might try uninstalling the drivers,deleting the device in Device Manager and rebooting.

When you reboot Windows will find the device again and ask for drivers.Make sure you've downloaded the latest drivers and install them and then see if you have more controls.

Line-in is pretty much a default input on all sound devices and should come up with it's controls.

If the Realtek is all you have you may consider investing in an add-in sound card.Others on here have reported having trouble with the Realtek HD system.Others have no problems.

Thanks. I'm still trying to work with Technical Support here, but I may have my IT guy take these steps, if nothing else works.

I appreciate the assistance and support all of you have offered. Hopefully, it'll all be just a bad memory soon enough.

How would I adjust the Windows audio settings?

I used Windows Update to ensure I have the latest Service Packs and fixes for my operating system and got the latest versions of Media Player, DirectX and Internet Explorer.

When close to the mic, the level meters will move, but you are correct, I cannot operate any of the controls in that area.

I am recording from a desktop mic.

Any assistance would be appreciated. :)

Since we don't know what "all the updates" means, we may suggest a duplicate of what you tried. Have you gone to Windows and adjusted the audio setting there?

I'm sure you tried to adjust them here.

post-58-1210255123.jpg

and here:

post-58-1210255413.jpg

Rather than adjust volume are you trying to normalize the volume or set all to max volume?

What are you recording from?

What jack are you plugged into on your computer - it should be mic. You must also select mic as the input. If you don't have that option, you must enable it in Windows.

Does the mic have a built in pre-amp or is it one of the el cheapos USB mic? If it is the USB type, you may have to try pluggin it into a different USB port.

To answer your first question - Windows>Start> Settings>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices. Voice tab.

or

If you have the audio icon in the lower right of your monitor screen use that to select the mic input.

Edit - here is an image to help:

post-58-1210511865.jpg

What jack are you plugged into on your computer - it should be mic. You must also select mic as the input. If you don't have that option, you must enable it in Windows.

> Yes, it's plugged into "mic." I'll check the input select, but as I said, it works already - I just need to have it right up to my mouth to record.

Does the mic have a built in pre-amp or is it one of the el cheapos USB mic? If it is the USB type, you may have to try pluggin it into a different USB port.

> It's not a USB mic; it has a 1/8" (?) plug.

To answer your first question - Windows>Start> Settings>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices. Voice tab.

or

If you have the audio icon in the lower right of your monitor screen use that to select the mic input.

Did you try setting the Sound Control as per the image I posted?

Does the mic take a battery? If the battery is dead, you won't get any input to your computer. (From experience). Is it somehting like this?

Do not reply in the middle of the quote. It is hard to tell that you replied. Many posts like that are deleted since it doe not look like anythng was added.

Did you try setting the Sound Control as per the image I posted?

Does the mic take a battery? If the battery is dead, you won't get any input to your computer. (From experience). Is it somehting like this?

Do not reply in the middle of the quote. It is hard to tell that you replied. Many posts like that are deleted since it doe not look like anythng was added.

I'm at home and the computer in question is at work (although the one at home has the same problem with EMC 7 on a laptop running Vista).

No battery required.

Thanks for the heads-up on replying.

or

Could Realtek HD Audio Input be interfering with all of this? Can I deactivate / delete that? I can't adjust all of my volume controls either. I unchecked "use only default devices" and it's still a problem.

Steve - I have recently started to use some narration in some of my homemade videos. I recently purchased a Logitech "Premium Notebook Headset" [it has a mic attached to it] It came with jacks and a converter to use a USB port. I fear this may be an "el cheapo" [although I paid about $50 for it at Best Buy]. I use it on my desktop as I have no Notebook.

Would you consider recommending a good "pre-amp" mic and some indication as to where I might best find one?

If using a USB type is not the best way to go I assume one must use the jack ports [on the front of my computer]. Or is there some better way to hook it up?

FranK

Is that battery powered?

It looks like it should work but one review on Amazon said that the Mic volume must be cranked up high to work properly. I think you can plug that headset directly into your Mic port on your sound card. Be careful, start with low volume on the Mic and increase as necessary. If the computer setting is all the way up and the Mic is all the way up. it could damage the card/chip. If you do use the USB adapter, use one of the USB ports in the back. Some of the ports in the front are like plugging the device into a hub.

Perhaps I should have clarified my USB comment. Some Mic's are/were powered from the USB port. Those will also work but the volume and quality will be low. I'm not even sure that they are still available. Sort of like the unpowered speakers that came free some computers.

Since I'm recording my voice (which is bad to begin with), I use my trusty Radio Shack Clip Microphone.with "Built in Power supply" It is about 15 years old. :blink::lol: I did have to replace the batteries recently. :)

Previously, I had EMC 7 I inherited on a previous computer. Got a new one (Dell Windows XP) and installed EMC 7. I wasn't able to adjust the recording level in Sound Editor. Support said 7 was no longer a supported product and I should buy EMC 10. Can't adjust the Recording Level in 10 either. I've received and followed all the updates and setting adjustments Support has offered - but it still doesn't work.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and more importantly - does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

Since we don't know what "all the updates" means, we may suggest a duplicate of what you tried. Have you gone to Windows and adjusted the audio setting there?

I'm sure you tried to adjust them here.

post-58-1210255123.jpg

and here:

post-58-1210255413.jpg

Rather than adjust volume are you trying to normalize the volume or set all to max volume?

What are you recording from?

Is that battery powered?

It looks like it should work but one review on Amazon said that the Mic volume must be cranked up high to work properly. I think you can plug that headset directly into your Mic port on your sound card. Be careful, start with low volume on the Mic and increase as necessary. If the computer setting is all the way up and the Mic is all the way up. it could damage the card/chip. If you do use the USB adapter, use one of the USB ports in the back. Some of the ports in the front are like plugging the device into a hub.

Perhaps I should have clarified my USB comment. Some Mic's are/were powered from the USB port. Those will also work but the volume and quality will be low. I'm not even sure that they are still available. Sort of like the unpowered speakers that came free some computers.

Since I'm recording my voice (which is bad to begin with), I use my trusty Radio Shack Clip Microphone.with "Built in Power supply" It is about 15 years old. :blink::lol: I did have to replace the batteries recently. :)

Thanks Steve for your reply.

No, my unit is not battery powered. I will follow your advice concerning hooking it up.

BTW - I have seen several comments on the forum that seem to disparage hubs. I have two printers, two external hard drives and a card reader running through a 7 port hub. Is this a bad thing? My computer does not have enough ports to accomodate everything.

Frank

Archived