• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

I Got Questions

spetrillo

Question

Evening all,

So as I make my journey through the intricacies of MyDVD I come up with more and more questions. So rather than screw up myself along the way I look to you gurus to point me in the right direction. So far I have learned alot on my own, and with your esteemed help. So here goes....

1) Can I create a background template for menus and chapters and save it for use much like the stock ones that come with EMC10?

2) Is there anyway to have Videowave auto detect chapter breaks within a AVI?

3) If question 2 is yes I assume I can manually tweak the chapter breaks in Videowave to fine tune?

4) I have experienced a potential issue where you use a jpeg for a menu, and if you rename the jpeg or move it, the menu comes up blank. Is there anyway to embed the jpeg in the project permanently so as to avoid this?

5) Is there anyway to take an AVI, create the chapters for it, and then again save the AVI with the chapters in place? This would save re-creating the chapters should I want to burn this AVI again in the future.

6) I think that covers it for now.

Wow I thought I would just burn a few DVDs when I started a couple months ago. Now I am feeling more like a director!!

Thanks,

Steve

14 answers to this question

Evening all,

So as I make my journey through the intricacies of MyDVD I come up with more and more questions. So rather than screw up myself along the way I look to you gurus to point me in the right direction. So far I have learned alot on my own, and with your esteemed help. So here goes....

1) Can I create a background template for menus and chapters and save it for use much like the stock ones that come with EMC10?

3) If question 2 is yes I assume I can manually tweak the chapter breaks in Videowave to fine tune?

4) I have experienced a potential issue where you use a jpeg for a menu, and if you rename the jpeg or move it, the menu comes up blank. Is there anyway to embed the jpeg in the project permanently so as to avoid this?

5) Is there anyway to take an AVI, create the chapters for it, and then again save the AVI with the chapters in place? This would save re-creating the chapters should I want to burn this AVI again in the future.

Wow I thought I would just burn a few DVDs when I started a couple months ago. Now I am feeling more like a director!!

Thanks,

Steve

1. Yes, but not sure of that.

2. Click on View, then click on Media Selector, browse to your .AVI file, right click on it, and click on Scene Detection.

3. You can manually tweak the chapter breaks.

4. No, you can't embed the content, in the production, for obvious reasons. You would eat up hard drive space at a rapid rate.

5. If you use Scene Detection to bring in the video breaks, you can then click on File/Output As, and pick DV-AVI.

I may not have it all correctly spelled out, but someone else will drop in and let us know.

Evening all,

Thanks,

Steve

1. Yes. In MyDVD choose File\ Save as Menu Style. HOWEVER, you need to keep all background pictures in the original location because the program just links to those files.

2.Kind of. You can do an Edit Chapters and have the scene detect generate the chapters, or set them for every *** minutes.

3. Yes

4. No. I'd suggest you make a copy of the picture and put it in a new folder which will contain only your personal chapter menus.

5. I don't think so. You can do a File\ Output production ..... in VideoWave and save your completed movie as a new movie which will contain all your editing, but it won't save the chapters. If you don't think you'll need to edit it again, save it as a mpeg2 for DVD burning/ Best because that will save space and DVDs use mpeg2 files.

Bruce, You type faster than I..... :D

Gents:

This is great...and thanks for the answers. Just one followup question from your combined answers:

1) ML's answer to question 5 revolved around converting to MPEG2. Do I lose anything in converting to MPEG2 or do I gain more flexibility over the AVI format? I would like to consolidate the space used in all my AVIs but I do not want to lose flexibility.

Thanks,

Steve

Gents:

This is great...and thanks for the answers. Just one followup question from your combined answers:

1) ML's answer to question 5 revolved around converting to MPEG2. Do I lose anything in converting to MPEG2 or do I gain more flexibility over the AVI format? I would like to consolidate the space used in all my AVIs but I do not want to lose flexibility.

Thanks,

Steve

You don't gain more flexibility. I only save as an mpeg2 if I know that I won't be editing that video in the future.

If you want to edit it again, I'd recommend outputting it as a DV AVI.... assuming that you have the space. Then if you don't need the original video again, you can delete that once you have the new movie.

You don't gain more flexibility. I only save as an mpeg2 if I know that I won't be editing that video in the future.

If you want to edit it again, I'd recommend outputting it as a DV AVI.... assuming that you have the space. Then if you don't need the original video again, you can delete that once you have the new movie.

ML,

I would assume the DV AVI format is considerably a larger hog of space than AVI.

One last thing on scene selection. When I have finished letting Videowave do the automatic scene selection can I:

1) Import these into my Videowave production, thus in turn creating markers/chapters?

2) If I delete a particular scene it does not screw up the other scenes that have been selected?

3) How do I play from one marker to another in Videowave? In wanting to tweak chapters I dont want to have to worry about the pause button all the time.

I like the idea about a seperate folder structure for my jpegs, menus, etc. Do you save in just one giant consolidated folder or do you break out a folder based on TV series, type of movie, etc?

Thanks,

Steve

ML,

I would assume the DV AVI format is considerably a larger hog of space than AVI.

One last thing on scene selection. When I have finished letting Videowave do the automatic scene selection can I:

1) Import these into my Videowave production, thus in turn creating markers/chapters?

2) If I delete a particular scene it does not screw up the other scenes that have been selected?

3) How do I play from one marker to another in Videowave? In wanting to tweak chapters I dont want to have to worry about the pause button all the time.

I like the idea about a seperate folder structure for my jpegs, menus, etc. Do you save in just one giant consolidated folder or do you break out a folder based on TV series, type of movie, etc?

Thanks,

Steve

1) In Videowave you cannot use scene detection to create chapters/markers. It can only be done in myDVD.

2) I don't quite understand what you mean by this question. Where are you deleting the scenes, in the timeline/storyline or in the media selector window?

3) Markers have nothing to do with scene selection since markers are created manually. If you have created markers on the Videowave timeline, you can jump to the next or previous markers by using the next or previous marker icon and play your video from there.

I find that chapter identification is best done in myDVD.

The above is my understanding and use of Scene detection/chapters/markers via Videowave. I may be wrong and am sure someone will correct me if a I am wrong (and I will learn something again)

Personally, I never use scene detection for anything since I prefer to to do my editing manually and fully in control of splits, trimes and deletes. That is also why I never have avi clips longer then 10 or so.

For each project I work on, I create one folder which I may sub-divide into sub-folders (for source files, audio,, photos, etc) depending on the complexity of the project. I would never create a "giant, consolidated" folder what ever that means.

Ok Walt I am very confused now...

What is the difference between scene detection and chapter marking? I thought they are essentially the same? To be more specific I am trying to create chapters in some movies I am burning so I can jump from section to section, much like a real DVD is made. For me I am not going to have many chapters, but only when a real break is evident. This is especially true as I start to put TV series together on DVD. I was hoping there was a way to have Roxio automatically generate chapters based on that it thinks are the breaks. I could then tweak it manually, by deleting those automatic breaks I dont want, and maybe extending those I want to keep. I sort of remember Nero having this capability in version 8 when I was using that product. Maybe I am wrong on that.

Anyways if you, or anyone would like to respond, I surely would appreciate the dialog and points of view. I have learned soo much from you all. You guys rock!

Steve

What is the difference between scene detection and chapter marking? I thought they are essentially the same? To be more specific I am trying to create chapters in some movies I am burning so I can jump from section to section, much like a real DVD is made. For me I am not going to have many chapters, but only when a real break is evident. This is especially true as I start to put TV series together on DVD. I was hoping there was a way to have Roxio automatically generate chapters based on that it thinks are the breaks. I could then tweak it manually, by deleting those automatic breaks I dont want, and maybe extending those I want to keep. I sort of remember Nero having this capability in version 8 when I was using that product. Maybe I am wrong on that.

Anyways if you, or anyone would like to respond, I surely would appreciate the dialog and points of view. I have learned soo much from you all. You guys rock!

Steve

You can do that in My DVD (auto detect and edit chapters) when you bring the project in from Video Wave. Any sections of the video (scenes) you don't want must be removed in Video Wave.

Since you want to do significant editing and scene selection, you may want to try CineMagic and then output to a file and then edit that file in Video Wave and/or My DVD to make sure the scenes are the way you want. By the way, the scenes (as you are calling them) are chapters in My DVD if you want to select the chapters to watch. Remember that if you select a chapter from the submenu, the video will start at that point and then continue to the end (just like a commercial disc). If you want to play only a section of a video and nothing else, they must be added as a separate movie with the navigation adjusted to return to the menu.

Not many of the frequent posters use CineMagic but since that might help you, I suggest you give it a try. Also read this and this.

Steve

Do a search on "Scene Detection" in the EMC 10 Help System to get a good explanation on the meaning and use of scene detection, chapters, markers.

Do a search on "Scene Detection" in the EMC 10 Help System to get a good explanation on the meaning and use of scene detection, chapters, markers.

Ok I am making some very good progress. Read the help and its not too shabby. Is there anyway to get past the 99 chapter limit? I would rather the chapters get created automatically to the end, and then I could go in and delete those I dont want to get under the 99 chapter limitation.

Thanks,

Steve

Ok I am making some very good progress. Read the help and its not too shabby. Is there anyway to get past the 99 chapter limit? I would rather the chapters get created automatically to the end, and then I could go in and delete those I dont want to get under the 99 chapter limitation.

Thanks,

Steve

there is no way past the 99 chapter limit. If the chapter detection detects that many "chapters" in myDVD then you would be much better off doing the whole chapter creation manually. You would be wasting a lot of time trying to determine what you want and not want as chapters. It would be silly to have more then 20-30 chapters in a 60 minute video, you would have to navigate through sveral menu pages before you find the chapter you want.

there is no way past the 99 chapter limit. If the chapter detection detects that many "chapters" in myDVD then you would be much better off doing the whole chapter creation manually. You would be wasting a lot of time trying to determine what you want and not want as chapters. It would be silly to have more then 20-30 chapters in a 60 minute video, you would have to navigate through sveral menu pages before you find the chapter you want.

Walt,

That makes sense and I am fine with that. When I hit the 99 limit can I delete those I dont want and then continue from the point at which the chapter creation hit the limitation?

Thanks,

Steve

Walt,

That makes sense and I am fine with that. When I hit the 99 limit can I delete those I dont want and then continue from the point at which the chapter creation hit the limitation?

Thanks,

Steve

I have no idea since I have never used "chapter" detection to create that many chapter. I prefer to do the manual charter setting if I use chaptering at all - which is very seldom.

You will have to do some experimenting :rolleyes:

I have no idea since I have never used "chapter" detection to create that many chapter. I prefer to do the manual charter setting if I use chaptering at all - which is very seldom.

You will have to do some experimenting :rolleyes:

OK I have now got my chapters complete but how do I add them back into the edit function of Videowave. Right now there are no markers listed, or am I again confused with markers and chapters.

Update...never mind I just figured out what chapter markings look like....duhhh!

Steve

Archived