bluenote

Streaming Audio Recording Problems

Question

Hi, I'm a new toast 9 owner and have had some issues with recording streaming audio. Recording isn't the problem, the quality of the content is. 95% of the recorded material sounds fine, but there will be an occasional "warbly" sound that randomly occurs. It sounds like there is a problem with the stream, but when it isn't recording I don't have this issue. The sample rate is set to the default 44.1hz (cd quality). I tried going higher and that only made the problem worse, unlistenable really. My questions are- Is anyone else having this problem? Might this be a RAM issue? For reference I have a mini with a Duo 2.0 ghz and 1.5 g of RAM. I'm also running Leopard. And finally, any setting recommendations that I should play with?

Thanks

25 answers to this question

I'm wondering if your hard drive is doing something else during those times when you are getting distorted sound. Also, are you using a wireless connection that could be checking for emails at those times?

Thanks for the reply, initially I was using a wireless connection. I first thought that this was the source of the problem, but I moved my setup so I could have a hardwired connection and the problem didn't go away. I always make sure I close all open applications before I begin recording. Of course Safari is open, but only the window responsible for the stream.

Regarding the hard drive, I'm not sure what else it would be doing. I am a relatively new mac user, so I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is something that would be blatantly obvious to most members of this forum. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the reply

OK, I've determined that the problem is the sample rate. I thought that the default 44.1khz was the lowest setting. I never attempted to change it AFTER selecting audio capture as the input device. By lowering the sample rate one notch to 32khz, I haven't had an any issues yet. My only concern now is that I'm recording at a less than optimal setting. I realize that streamed content isn't necessarily audiophile worthy to begin with, but I want to record for optimum fidelity. Anyone have any recommendations? Are there any hardware issues that could be holding me back? Shouldn't the 44.1khz setting work?

Thanks

I too have a distortion problem when trying to capture streaming audio using Spin Doctor 5. Most of the audio sounds ok but a few seconds of each attempt will be distorted. It's almost as if the available ram fills up and then when the audio is written to the hard drive distortion occurs. I have gone back to my previous method to capture audio which is to use WireTap Pro. WireTap Pro creates a file which I convert to an AIFF file using iTunes which then can be opened in Spin Doctor. This file can be edited in Spin Doctor and then sent back to iTunes in mp3 form. I had hoped that Spin Doctor 5 would have made this process shorter and easier. I have also gone back to using Spin Doctor 4 since using the present version of Spin Doctor 5 is unacceptable.

I too have a distortion problem when trying to capture streaming audio using Spin Doctor 5. Most of the audio sounds ok but a few seconds of each attempt will be distorted. It's almost as if the available ram fills up and then when the audio is written to the hard drive distortion occurs. I have gone back to my previous method to capture audio which is to use WireTap Pro. WireTap Pro creates a file which I convert to an AIFF file using iTunes which then can be opened in Spin Doctor. This file can be edited in Spin Doctor and then sent back to iTunes in mp3 form. I had hoped that Spin Doctor 5 would have made this process shorter and easier. I have also gone back to using Spin Doctor 4 since using the present version of Spin Doctor 5 is unacceptable.

I think we've been able to replicate and resolve the issue you're describing, I'll send each of you a "beta" version of CDSD5 to test. You can post your results here.

Thanks

I too am having this problem. The Audio starts to break down, like it's overtaxing the processors. I've had this same problem with Logic and the Airport card, so I've turned it off, triple checked all my levels and still no solution. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with 32-bit recording.

I too am having this problem. The Audio starts to break down, like it's overtaxing the processors. I've had this same problem with Logic and the Airport card, so I've turned it off, triple checked all my levels and still no solution. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with 32-bit recording. I also checked the CPU Usage meter, while recording, and never saw either bar peak.

MacBook 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2g ramm OSX 10.5.2

Edited by perversity

I tried the new beta version of CD Spin Doctor v5.0.2.633t sent to me but with less success than before. I have two hard drives in my computer, one running Tiger and the other Leopard. Under Leopard after installing and restarting, it was possible to select CD Spin Doctor Capture Support as the sound output, but there was no similar option to choose it for the sound input. In the previous version of Spin Doctor v5.0.1.617t, it was possible to choose CD Spin Doctor Capture Support for both the sound input and output. With the new beta version sent to me, since it was not possible to choose CD Spin Doctor Capture Support as the sound input, there was no sound heard to record.

When I tried the beta version running under Tiger, there was no option to choose CD Spin Doctor Capture Support for sound input or sound output. The Extension file CDSDAudioCaptureSupport.kext was created in both systems after installing Audio Capture Support although the one created in Tiger was only 260 KB in size whereas the one in Leopard was 1.3 MB in size

Add me to the list of people that see the same exact problem trying to record streaming audio. I'm using a new penryn based macbook pro running leopard so there should not be hardware resource issues. The distortion for me is every minute or so which makes recording a song useless. Hope there is a fix soon. I am available for testing beta code as well.

I think we've been able to replicate and resolve the issue you're describing, I'll send each of you a "beta" version of CDSD5 to test. You can post your results here.

Thanks

I also have encountered this problem.

I just bought the upgrade to Toast 9 today.

I purchased Toast 9 instead of upgrading WireTap because of the advertised streaming audio record feature in CD Spin Doctor.

I am extremely disappointed to find that intermittent distortion is introduced during recording of streaming audio when using the capture feature in CD Spin Doctor.

I never had this problem when using WireTap, on the same exact system that I am using now with CD Spin Doctor 5.

There is nothing unusual or problematic with the system I am using; it is a new iMac with 4GB RAM running OS 10.5.2

It is my opinion that there is a problem with CD Spin Doctor.

I hope Roxio is able to fix this problem soon.

I have the same problem with CD Spin Doctor 5.0.1.617t in trying to record Streaming Audio under OS 10.4.11.

I further can not record at any of the custom CD Quality Custom Setting sampling rates, or the preset DVD rates, only the 44100 Hz works, and then it has the periodic distortion, both in the recording and in the audio heard through the speakers.

The distortion is not heard after quitting CD Spin Doctor.

I would like to be informed of any upgrades or solutions as it is frustrating and voiding one of the reasons I bought Toast.

:angry2:

I hate to resurrect a long dead thread, but I've I've had Toast 9/Spin Doctor for about 2 weeks now, and I'm also having this same problem with Spin Doctor. Anytime I record streaming source media, I'm getting random periodic distortion throughout the recordings. I've been using 32bit/44.1khz as the standard for CD. Although, I've also tried it at the lower setting of

Again, like the others with the problem, this is one of the reasons I picked up toast 9 (I've actually used toast off and on since OS9 era and the first carbonized version). I see that the last post is from June, with no response. Any thought on if a fix will come through for this? 32but32khz with fewer, but plenty of digital 'nits' being recorded with the source.

This software is pretty useless in its current form...?!?

And in unrelated difficulties, while using SD to 'cut up' some lengthy recordings, I notice that sometimes it won't let me define my tracks as I wish. Sometimes I wish to 'define' very small pieces, and It won't let me have less than a 7 second chunk of time?!?

Edited by BurningSkies

I hate to resurrect a long dead thread, but I've I've had Toast 9/Spin Doctor for about 2 weeks now, and I'm also having this same problem with Spin Doctor. Anytime I record streaming source media, I'm getting random periodic distortion throughout the recordings. I've been using 32bit/44.1khz as the standard for CD. Although, I've also tried it at the lower setting of

Again, like the others with the problem, this is one of the reasons I picked up toast 9 (I've actually used toast off and on since OS9 era and the first carbonized version). I see that the last post is from June, with no response. Any thought on if a fix will come through for this? 32but32khz with fewer, but plenty of digital 'nits' being recorded with the source.

This software is pretty useless in its current form...?!?

And in unrelated difficulties, while using SD to 'cut up' some lengthy recordings, I notice that sometimes it won't let me define my tracks as I wish. Sometimes I wish to 'define' very small pieces, and It won't let me have less than a 7 second chunk of time?!?

You might try editing your audio with Audacity. Toast is not all that precise as an editor.

Same problem here.... Customer service responded with a generic email that did not address my problem, I HATE THAT! Its like they don't even try to help you, but rather respond just to get you "out the way". What is the point of emailing me a link on how to "install capture support" .... when I state in the email that I already did that?!?! I set up the spin doctor capture support per the directions on the site (installing audio capture support)...but when I try to capture something, I get no meter feedback and no sound. I have tried everything... microphone recording works fine, but I cannot get anything thats playing on my Mac. I messed with MIDI settings, system settings...no matter WHAT I try I cannot get toast to respond to audio coming out of my computer speakers. Any REAL advice would be appreciated.

After reading all the posts I could find regarding Spin Doctor with Toast 9 I still can't record without interference/static every few minutes. I can listen to the streaming audio without a hitch but when previewing prior to recording in Spin Doctor it keeps breaking up. I have an iMac with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 4 GB of ram and the current upgrade of OSX 10.5.5. The version of spin doctor is 5.0.1.617t. I check that "audio capture" is selected for both input and output sources in the sound preferences. My sound levels are adjusted in the application I am streaming from which is usually Firefox 3.0.3. I have checked and there are no 3rd party VST files in any audio folders in any of the system libraries. As a matter of fact no VST files show up. So what's going on? I purchased Toast 9 for this very feature and it is not working. Every review I have read about it touts this wonderful new feature as a reason to upgrade. Toast 8 worked great for all my burning needs but I plunked down some big bucks for the new version to get this feature. I should have spent it on WireTap pro and I would have had something that worked. Oh, the Deep Sea Software site which is the developer of Spin Doctor is no treasure trove of useful information. Roxio please offer a solution! I'm not the only customer pulling my hair out and exhausting every research tool I can find to make this software work as advertised.

I'm a new user of both Mac and Toast 9. The first thing I tried was to capture streaming audio from Pandora. I have the same distortions that everyone else is experiencing. I tried everything I knew of to get rid of the distortion but am unable to do so.

What ever happened to the beta in post 7 (above)?

I'm a new user of both Mac and Toast 9. The first thing I tried was to capture streaming audio from Pandora. I have the same distortions that everyone else is experiencing. I tried everything I knew of to get rid of the distortion but am unable to do so.

What ever happened to the beta in post 7 (above)?

I'm also experiencing the distortion which makes the feature unusable. As for the update I've seen a beta version of Toast 9.0.4 but nothing about Spin Doctor.

Edited by tsantee

tsantee, does the length of recording make any difference?

tsantee, if you don't mind me butting in .... :)

I'm not tsantee but I may be able to offer some help. I've been playing with this for a couple of hours. If we are talking about the same type of distortion - a warble - sort of like a bad spot in an audio cassette tape then the following may be helpful.

To hear the distortion, open Pandora and select something to play. Move the Pandora output slider to the lower part of the range. Open Spin Doctor and listen. You do not have to be recording; you may hear the distortion while just listening and not recording. You may have only a couple of lights at the lower end of the range blinking.

Possible solution for some people:

If you hear the distortion (the warble), move the Pandora slider to the high end of the range. You will notice that the Spin Doctor input graph will be higher (more lights blinking). Adjust the Pandora slider until you are not staying in the red (actually I can't get it that high to begin with).

I have been capturing from Pandora for almost 40 minutes and have heard no distortion.

This also worked with Folkalley. I haven't tried other streaming services.

I also tried to capture at a lower bit rate, and while that helped, it did not eliminate the warble to the extent of the input volume change.

Update: This minimized but did not eliminate the issue. I noticed the same problem after making a CD and playing it back with several players.

Edited by sknis

I noticed that Spin Doctor records streaming audio at 32 bits oer channel. Why and is there a way of changing that? It is not in the options

Now I've done it ! Thinking I had a bad install, I opened spin doctor and again clicked on install capture support. The window open, I clicked install and it went through the motions. I went to capture from the Internet and realized that the option was not there. I rebooted but still cannot find that option.

Any ideas on how to re-install this option.

Edited by sknis

I noticed that Spin Doctor records streaming audio at 32 bits oer channel. Why and is there a way of changing that? It is not in the options

Now I've done it ! Thinking I had a bad install, I opened spin doctor and again clicked on install capture support. The window open, I clicked install and it went through the motions. I went to capture from the Internet and realized that the option was not there. I rebooted but still cannot find that option.

Any ideas on how to re-install this option.

First, I'm now aware a Spin Doctor update is imminent that is supposed to fix the noise issue. This update is not part of the Toast 9.0.4 update package released November 4. Among the fixes is it records at 16 bits per channel rather than 32.

When installing the audio capture support you need to quit and relaunch spin doctor for the audio capture option to appear.

I get this same issue, primarily when recording streams from a MySpace music page. It seems to occur after about 3 to 3.5 minutes into the recording and happens pretty much EVERY time I try. Spin Doctor and Toast in general have become pretty much useless to me as this is the main feature I bought Toast 9 for!

Where the hell is the update to fix this Roxio? This is like selling someone a car without an engine...

I can't get Capture Streaming Audio to even show up in Spin Doctor - after following the instructions and choosing an input device it still only shows Line In and Microphone. I have the latest update, and have Leopard....... HELP!

I can't get Capture Streaming Audio to even show up in Spin Doctor - after following the instructions and choosing an input device it still only shows Line In and Microphone. I have the latest update, and have Leopard....... HELP!

Saturnboy -

I'm with you. Recently downloaded Toast 9, using Leopard. Per Article 000064T, have installed Audio Capture Support numerous times, but Input Device only options Internal Microphone and Line In - no CD Spin Doctor or Capture Support. What's the deal???