• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvds 99% Complete

jigglypuff

Question

Simply put, I burn a DVD and it is either unrecognizable by cpu or by DVD player.

I have edited in Videowave and procesed via MyDVD (Roxio 9).

I go to burn (and as I hear Roxio 9 has automatic finializatin embedded in it, so that should not be an issue) and my DVD+R burn fine (I check the written side). I can see it in Roxi for playback, but not in WMPlayer 11 or PowerDVD or in a traditional DVD player. Am I doing something wrong or leaving something out??? It feels like everyone else in the world can burn a simple DVD, but me. Even the movie pirateers and criminals. Please help.

21 answers to this question

direct image to disck burn results.?

Complete Failure.

All I have ... is another (13th) unusable DVD with a unplayable iso file on it. It just sits there.

Burning the iso file directly to a DVD does not create a video DVD but simply a data DVD. You have to use a special program such ImgBurn as suggested by cdanteek

Open DVDInfo Pro found in Roxio EMC 9, tools. Click the info icon, does it identify the bad disc as a DVD Video? What does it say and identify for this (Media code/Manufacturer ID) ?

Click on the magnifying glass icon and test the bad disc for the CRC Read Error Test. Then click the icon to the right of the magnifying glass icon and run the PIE (8EEC) Speed Graph, I want to know the PI Peak, PIF Peak, and the POF Total if your drive will show it.

Are you encoding and burning in one operation? Next test output to a DVD Video_ts folder set or ISO Image file then open disc copier and burn to a DVD disc in that program.

cd

So MyDVD 9 Studio can make a Compliant DVD Video image file? If so download the small free # 7 in my signature, ImgBurn. Try to burn the image with it, or use the test burn function in the program! They have how to guides in the forum.

cd

cd,

You have freed me from my Roxiotic bondage.

No longer must I submit myself to the Staples God of blank media waste, and make expensive offerings of 8.5GB DL DVDs after 8.5GB DL DVDs.

I now know what the sun on my face feels like.

The entire kingdom is alive with hope, and everyone will relae at the feast to come.

In other words,.... SUCCESS.

I'm still mad that I have to jump through 3 unexpected hoops (MyDVD video edit, MyDVD overnight encoding, and finally the Img Burn), thanks alot Roxio.

However, as long as it works, I will take it on the chin.

Thanks cd, and al others who helped to contribute to getting me straightened out.

Jigglypuf

p.s. cd, what was the significance/reason for the 2.4X burn rate? Is there someting I don't know. Thanks again.

[RANT]

Roxio never seemed to do this before they were gobbled up by Sonic, but ever since then even I have been bewildered by the different shapes they have cut the pie into, and the ever-so-many different ways they have sold combinations of the various pieces.

It wouldn't be so bad if you got what you saw and an application was clearly only 4/5 of the suite, but in some cases once you scrape the sales sauce off the pie you find that the meat has gone from the piece of pie you thought you had - parts of applications have been deliberately disabled and it won't handle AC3 audio any more or some particular video types that the full application will do - see the Copy & Convert 3 and the Easy CD and DVD Burning (in Red Box) "Vista Compatible" forums for examples. You might expect that free, bundled OEM versions of software might be deliberately crippled, but software bought retail from Roxio.

I share your dismay.

[/RANT]

I agree with you, with one exception, in this case. The OP purchased MyDVD Studio, which he had to know that it wasn't the full EMC 9 version, so some pieces are missing.

The MyDVD Studio will burn to a disc, from MyDVD, but as we have too often seen, burning directly from MyDVD, results in a disaster. Burning to an .iso file or folder set is a much better way to go. However, there is no Disc Copier in the cut down Studio version, so it necessitates the use of another program, such as Imgburn to burn the .iso to a disc. I don't fault Soxio for that.

cd,

[snip]

Thanks cd, and al others who helped to contribute to getting me straightened out.

Jigglypuf

p.s. cd, what was the significance/reason for the 2.4X burn rate? Is there someting I don't know. Thanks again.

DL discs still get the best burn quality at 2.4X speed, if that is what the disc speed is rated at. Some burners will burn 2.4X discs at a faster speed, but the quality of the burn can fall off by doing that.

I'm still mad that I have to jump through 3 unexpected hoops (MyDVD video edit, MyDVD overnight encoding, and finally the Img Burn), thanks alot Roxio.

I don't understand what you are mad about - creating a DVD involves 3 "loops" no matter what program you use: you have to edit, you have to render and you have to burn.

what was the significance/reason for the 2.4X burn rate?

Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEK D01

Manufacturer Rated Speed 2.4x 3324KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps

Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps

Most drives I have seen using this disc the burn speed is 2.4X. Is that the speed ImgBurn defaulted to and burned at?

Question, 'MyDVD 9 Studio' made the ISO Image file you used in ImgBurn?

Does 'MyDVD 9 Studio' allow burning a compliant DVD Video disc from the ISO Image it made?

When you tried and failed to burn the ISO Image file in 'MyDVD 9 Studio' what X speed burn rate did it default to?

cd

I agree with you, with one exception, in this case. The OP purchased MyDVD Studio, which he had to know that it wasn't the full EMC 9 version, so some pieces are missing.

The MyDVD Studio will burn to a disc, from MyDVD, but as we have too often seen, burning directly from MyDVD, results in a disaster. Burning to an .iso file or folder set is a much better way to go. However, there is no Disc Copier in the cut down Studio version, so it necessitates the use of another program, such as Imgburn to burn the .iso to a disc. I don't fault Soxio for that.

As the OP, I (aka SHE) "did not" know it wasn't all included as there was no other suite on the shelf nearby that screamed.. "hey, compare that to me first, I am the full version, I will save you time and headache. Don't buy MyDVD 9,.. it's incomlete. That company sells stuff that is missing pieces. Ok, suit yourself!"

I noticed you called it Soxio. Not because it's Sonic/Roxio, but because subliminally,.. you know it sucks to have to deal with all of this.

I don't understand what you are mad about - creating a DVD involves 3 "loops" no matter what program you use: you have to edit, you have to render and you have to burn.

not mad, just really really really really perturbed.

DL discs still get the best burn quality at 2.4X speed, if that is what the disc speed is rated at. Some burners will burn 2.4X discs at a faster speed, but the quality of the burn can fall off by doing that.

Thanks bruce ,. that's the answer I was looking for.

Most drives I have seen using this disc the burn speed is 2.4X. Is that the speed ImgBurn defaulted to and burned at?

Does 'MyDVD 9 Studio' allow burning a compliant DVD Video disc from the ISO Image it made?

When you tried and failed to burn the ISO Image file in 'MyDVD 9 Studio' what X speed burn rate did it default to?

cd

Well, "I" used MyDVD 9 to mae the iso file. So, yes.

Does 'MyDVD 9 Studio' allow burning a compliant DVD Video disc from the ISO Image it made? yes, but it never works across dvd platforms. pc = no = dvd = sometimes. not rally reliable, you know?

Max.

no problem now though,.. everything works perfect, thanks to you and everyone else!

Max.

That is the problem then, Roxio must not read the Media ID correct and I would guess that is why it fails. Would you try another DL burn in 'MyDVD 9 Studio' from a ISO Image it made and set the burn speed for 2.4X?

cd

That is the problem then, Roxio must not read the Media ID correct and I would guess that is why it fails. Would you try another DL burn in 'MyDVD 9 Studio' from a ISO Image it made and set the burn speed for 2.4X?

cd

I did cd, that was when I said Complete Success, tahnk you, etc in the last post. I did everythin you said (then) and even burned at a slow 2.4X. Everything worked like a charm.

Thanks again.

As the OP, I (aka SHE) "did not" know it wasn't all included as there was no other suite on the shelf nearby that screamed.. "hey, compare that to me first, I am the full version, I will save you time and headache. Don't buy MyDVD 9,.. it's incomlete. That company sells stuff that is missing pieces. Ok, suit yourself!"

Sorry, I usually put he/she when referring to an OP with an internet name.

I noticed you called it Soxio. Not because it's Sonic/Roxio, but because subliminally,.. you know it sucks to have to deal with all of this.

Nope, I don't have a problem with the software. I have some issues with all versions, but rarely have I had a problem.

Thanks bruce ,. that's the answer I was looking for.

You are welcome.

Open DVDInfo Pro found in Roxio EMC 9, tools. Click the info icon, does it identify the bad disc as a DVD Video? What does it say and identify for this (Media code/Manufacturer ID) ?

Click on the magnifying glass icon and test the bad disc for the CRC Read Error Test. Then click the icon to the right of the magnifying glass icon and run the PIE (8EEC) Speed Graph, I want to know the PI Peak, PIF Peak, and the POF Total if your drive will show it.

Are you encoding and burning in one operation? Next test output to a DVD Video_ts folder set or ISO Image file then open disc copier and burn to a DVD disc in that program.

cd

Thanks for the quick reply cd.

Here are my answers:

DVDINFO -

This is with the previously burned disc inserted (not sure if it matters, but wanted to give you comprehensive info)

Media Information

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO

Media Product Revision Number 01h

Format Capacity 0.00GB(0.00GB)

Book Type DVD+R DL

Media Type DVD+R DL

Data area starting sector 30000h

Data area end sector 39Fh

Layer 0 end sector 301DFh

Linear Density 0.293um/bit

Track Density 0.74um/track

Number of Layers 2

Layer Track Path direction (OTP) Opposite track path

Read Errors = None

PI Peak = 13

PIF Peak = 2

POF Total (Assumed you mean PIF Total) = 0

This is with a blank disc inserted (not sure if it mattered, but wanted to give you comprehensive info)

Media Information

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO

Media Product Revision Number 01h

Format Capacity Blank Disc

Free Blocks 4253024256

Free Capacity 7.96GB(8.55GB)

Book Type DVD+R DL

Media Type DVD+R DL

Data area starting sector 30000h

Layer 0 end sector 22D7FFh

Linear Density 0.293um/bit

Track Density 0.74um/track

Number of Layers 2

Layer Track Path direction (OTP) Opposite track path

Read Errors = Media is blank

PI Peak = Error, Media must be used before it can be scanned

PIF Peak = Error, Media must be used before it can be scanned

POF Total (Assumed you mean PIF Total) = Error, Media must be used before it can be scanned

I am going to try encoding and burning separately now (I was encoding and burning in one operation). I gottaa tell you though, it feels like I'm keeping Staples in business with this being my 12th burned (hopefully, not "wasted") DL DVD. Ugh, this really shouldn't be this hard. Thanks for your help though. Let me know what you can make of the specs I sent above.

p.s. Where do I find "Disc Copier"???

jigglypuff,

Do you have a Retail bought Roxio Emc 9 Suite? Click start, all programs, Roxio EMC 9, copy, disc copier. Open disc copier on the source side choose CDDVD Copy, choose your ISO Imge File or DVD Video_ts Folder set. On the destination side choose your burner and only burn this disc at 2.4 X. DVDInfo Pro shows the disc as a RITEK D01, what is the brand name your buying them under?

You didn't write anything to the bad disc 'Format Capacity 0.00GB(0.00GB)' It was in the process when it bombed out.

Once you get this sorted out I would buy Verbatim DVD +R DL media, it's the only DL media Brand I use with well over 100 very nice burns.

cd

jigglypuff,

Do you have a Retail bought Roxio Emc 9 Suite? Click start, all programs, Roxio EMC 9, copy, disc copier. Open disc copier on the source side choose CDDVD Copy, choose your ISO Imge File or DVD Video_ts Folder set. On the destination side choose your burner and only burn this disc at 2.4 X. DVDInfo Pro shows the disc as a RITEK D01, what is the brand name your buying them under?

You didn't write anything to the bad disc 'Format Capacity 0.00GB(0.00GB)' It was in the process when it bombed out.

Once you get this sorted out I would buy Verbatim DVD +R DL media, it's the only DL media Brand I use with well over 100 very nice burns.

cd

Hi cd,

1st: If you have the full version of EMC9, you'll find Disc Copier under the Start/Al Programs/Roxio Easy Media Creator 9/Copy folder.

Not found.

Guess why? Please see "2nd".

2nd: I have the Retail bought Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio.

I had no idea. It says (said) on the box "works great", "burn DVDs", "easy interface", etc. I feel gyped. Tell me I don't have to upgrade or something like that. Pleeeeease tell me. Sheesh!!! Who the hell would sell 4/5 of a product?!?!? As a consumer, it only really enrages me and makes me not want to come back to Roxio.

3rd: Pardon my flamethrower cd. I'm just really pissed. 12 DVDs. Count em', 12. Trashbound.

4th: The brand name is Memorex... aka... expensive. Thanks Roxio!!!!!

5th: Thanks for the Verbatim tip. Please see me through to the end of this. I just can't quit... not after all this.

I have the Retail bought Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio.

How long since you bought it and from what retailer?

Can you output the project to a Image file in MyDVD 9 Studio.

Then select the Image file in MyDVD 9 Studio and burn to a disc?

cd

How long since you bought it and from what retailer?

Can you output the project to a Image file in MyDVD 9 Studio.

Then select the Image file in MyDVD 9 Studio and burn to a disc?

cd

1. 2 months of punishment, is how long I've had it.

2. yes... I made an ISO file and was about to use "cd copier" but joila! no cd copier!

3.I'll try a direct image to disc burn.

I had no idea. It says (said) on the box "works great", "burn DVDs", "easy interface", etc. I feel gyped. Tell me I don't have to upgrade or something like that. Pleeeeease tell me. Sheesh!!! Who the hell would sell 4/5 of a product?!?!? As a consumer, it only really enrages me and makes me not want to come back to Roxio.

[RANT]

Roxio never seemed to do this before they were gobbled up by Sonic, but ever since then even I have been bewildered by the different shapes they have cut the pie into, and the ever-so-many different ways they have sold combinations of the various pieces.

It wouldn't be so bad if you got what you saw and an application was clearly only 4/5 of the suite, but in some cases once you scrape the sales sauce off the pie you find that the meat has gone from the piece of pie you thought you had - parts of applications have been deliberately disabled and it won't handle AC3 audio any more or some particular video types that the full application will do - see the Copy & Convert 3 and the Easy CD and DVD Burning (in Red Box) "Vista Compatible" forums for examples. You might expect that free, bundled OEM versions of software might be deliberately crippled, but software bought retail from Roxio.

I share your dismay.

[/RANT]

[RANT]

I share your dismay.

[/RANT]

sigh.. thanks Brendon. Remember remember the 5th of November. Roxio, you have be warned.

1. 2 months of punishment, is how long I've had it.

2. yes... I made an ISO file and was about to use "cd copier" but joila! no cd copier!

3.I'll try a direct image to disc burn.

Complete Failure.

All I have ... is another (13th) unusable DVD with a unplayable iso file on it. It just sits there.

Complete Failure.

So MyDVD 9 Studio can make a Compliant DVD Video image file? If so download the small free # 7 in my signature, ImgBurn. Try to burn the image with it, or use the test burn function in the program! They have how to guides in the forum.

cd

Archived