• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd+rw Disc Use

spetrillo

Question

In my quest to stop burning all my DVDs when I am experimenting I went out today and bought a 10 pack of Sony DVD+RW discs, so I could test on these first.

When I put one of the discs in my burner it doesnt seem to be recognized by either EMC 10 or WinXP. Do I need to enable something in my OS to use these. This is my first time with DVD+RW media.

Thanks,

Steve

25 answers to this question

In my quest to stop burning all my DVDs when I am experimenting I went out today and bought a 10 pack of Sony DVD+RW discs, so I could test on these first.

When I put one of the discs in my burner it doesnt seem to be recognized by either EMC 10 or WinXP. Do I need to enable something in my OS to use these. This is my first time with DVD+RW media.

Thanks,

Steve

Is your burner able to burn +RW DVDs? What is the make/model of your burner?

Is your burner able to burn +RW DVDs? What is the make/model of your burner?

Yes its a Liteon DH-20A3H external burner. Not sure why the initial load of the disc was not recognized but once I took it out and put it back in the disc was recognized by EMC10 and the OS. Have you seen issues like this with +RW media, or is the drive just finnicky.

Steve

Yes its a Liteon DH-20A3H external burner. Not sure why the initial load of the disc was not recognized but once I took it out and put it back in the disc was recognized by EMC10 and the OS. Have you seen issues like this with +RW media, or is the drive just finnicky.

Steve

I just finished capturing a recorded tv show on my Sony dvd-RW. I'm sure I'll get attacked for this, but I think "+" media can be more fussy than "-" media, at least based upon my experience w/ playback issues.

If neither the program or XP recognizes the +RW, you might want to check the external DVD burner manufacturer's website to see if there are any updates/firmware for that burner.

Some burners need updates to work more efficiently and to recognize different 'brands' of DVDs.

Hi Steve,

Some external drives are a bit finicky, is all.

Brendon

Brendon,

It seems that I have to place the disc in and cross my fingers. I did find the Disc Info utility in EMC, and I like seeing that the disc is seen by EMC in that tool. I will keep plugging away.

Thanks,

Steve

Brendon,

It seems that I have to place the disc in and cross my fingers. I did find the Disc Info utility in EMC, and I like seeing that the disc is seen by EMC in that tool. I will keep plugging away.

Thanks,

Steve

spetrillo, 10 pack of Sony DVD+RW discs

I sure would like to know the media ID (MID) for that Sony DVD+RW disc! :)

Are you updated to 'Update is dated 1/02/2008. Adds support for more media brands. Download Firmware update YP5Y?

Syrallas, I just finished capturing a recorded tv show on my Sony dvd-RW.

I sure would like to know the media ID (MID) for that Sony DVD-RW disc! :)

cd

I'm behind on that one, I'm running V4.20. I use DVD Identifer, DVDInfo Pro, and CDDVDSpeed re-named DiscSpeed.

I use them all very good tools.

cd

Does this mean anything? :unsure:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-RW:RITEKW01]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-RW] - [DVD-RW]

Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]

Manufacturer ID : [RITEKW01]

Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Does this mean anything? :unsure:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-RW:RITEKW01]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-RW] - [DVD-RW]

Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]

Manufacturer ID : [RITEKW01]

Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Sony doesn't make media, they buy it and put their name on it.

It means Sony is using RITEK for RW and DL disc's yet. They use a different media manufacturer for single layer media.

What model burner (drive ID string) and firmware version are you using?

cd

Sony doesn't make media, they buy it and put their name on it.

It means Sony is using RITEK for RW and DL disc's yet. They use a different media manufacturer for single layer media.

What model burner (drive ID string) and firmware version are you using?

cd

Do any of your numbers in your sig. direct me to a place I can get a download to get this info.?

What makes this interesting? Are you surprised I can capture data from the disc?

You have one. :) DVD Identifer, what does it say under Drive Selection and Drive Write Capabilities? Mine says my Drive, BENQ DVD DD DW1640 [FW BSRB].

cd

After the drive info. its says:

DVD-RW GSA-H60L - [FW DC08] - [FIBRE]

+ The DVD-RW is still in the drive, if that matters.

What does any of this mean to you?

Just so everyone knows I have updated my burner to the latest Liteon firmware, which is YP5Y. The burner seems to be acting fine now but I am just going to keep an eye on it. The +RW media worked fine last night. Maybe a finnicky drive...

Steve

Just so everyone knows I have updated my burner to the latest Liteon firmware, Steve

Steve,

Glad you got it to work with the latest Liteon firmware. :)

You may need to update that firmware periodically for the burner to recognize newer DVD media.

As Brendon pointed out external drives can be finicky and I've noticed that mine usually takes longer to recognize DVDs than the internal one. Still, they are handy and easy to install.

Archived