donald_cochron

Large Size Of Download Emc 8.05 - 114m

Question

:) I live in a really rual area about 20 miles from the switch. BellSouth and/or ATT only has dialup here and no intention of installing DSL at this time. The best I can get most of the time is 28.8 and the download site for the updates indicates a 20 hour time to download 8.05. My ISP (ATT) will not stay with me that long even though I have unlimited access.

All the above is by way of explaination of why I need to purchase update 8.05 for EMC 8.0 in CD form. Any way of doing this?

20 answers to this question

:) I live in a really rual area about 20 miles from the switch. BellSouth and/or ATT only has dialup here and no intention of installing DSL at this time. The best I can get most of the time is 28.8 and the download site for the updates indicates a 20 hour time to download 8.05. My ISP (ATT) will not stay with me that long even though I have unlimited access.

All the above is by way of explaination of why I need to purchase update 8.05 for EMC 8.0 in CD form. Any way of doing this?

hmmmm, any friends/family with a faster connection?, and a cd burner?

You should be able to get it at stores like Best Buy, or you can get it at online stores. No way should you download it.

Edited by grandpabruce

The update 8.05 is a fix for problems in EMC 8.0 and not an upgrade really. I purchased 8.0 just three weeks ago which was an old release apparently. Later in this board there appears to be one with a real problem with 8.05. He says it does not work.

I was hoping that when Sonic bought Roxio things would improve. Looks like its the same old thing.

Don

The update 8.05 is a fix for problems in EMC 8.0 and not an upgrade really. I purchased 8.0 just three weeks ago which was an old release apparently. Later in this board there appears to be one with a real problem with 8.05. He says it does not work.

I was hoping that when Sonic bought Roxio things would improve. Looks like its the same old thing.

Don

That is your opinion , but i think you would find most disagree..

What you see on this site, are just a smidgen of the 2 million users world wide, out of that you are lucky to see 30 or 40 here over a month, thats good odds in my book...

Go look for Forums that talk about Nero or any of the similer products....

Don

ahhh, I just read the title of the thread. You are looking to get the download patch. You could try using a download accelerator like DAP. I still use DAP and for the past 2 years have finally had cable modem access available. I too, live out in the country.

You could contact Roxio and see if the patch is available on CD. Or, as captthom says, find a friend who has broadband and will get it for you.

Hello again.

I do keep watching here.

cochron seems to have the same experience/situation as me.

grandpa: nobody offers to sell the 114MB fix on a CD. Not even Roxio.

Even though kind people here have offered to make and mail me a fix-CD, I would not dream of imposing when it SHOULD be the duty of Roxio/Sonic to send it.

It HAS been established that this 114MB item is a NECESSITY, hasn't it?

My EMC8 (video/DVD aspects) will NOT work "out of retail box" and the problem is not unique to me.

May I ASSUME that, if some time in the future, Roxio/Sonic sends the fix (or it gets into retail stores 4sale), the product will work if all System Requirements are met or exceeded?

thanks again,

I'll keep watching... :)

ps, thanks to whoever for the "un-previewing."

I promise NOT to spit and cuss.

but this darn thing needs fixing and if the company site owners ever read it, then maybe their consciense will bother them...

Edited by my7551

Hello again.

I do keep watching here.

cochron seems to have the same experience/situation as me.

grandpa: nobody offers to sell the 114MB fix on a CD. Not even Roxio.

Even though kind people here have offered to make and mail me a fix-CD, I would not dream of imposing when it SHOULD be the duty of Roxio/Sonic to send it.

It HAS been established that this 114MB item is a NECESSITY, hasn't it?

My EMC8 (video/DVD aspects) will NOT work "out of retail box" and the problem is not unique to me.

May I ASSUME that, if some time in the future, Roxio/Sonic sends the fix (or it gets into retail stores 4sale), the product will work if all System Requirements are met or exceeded?

thanks again,

I'll keep watching... :)

I have no clue whether or not the patch will work for folks who are having issues with their computers. If they are having problems getting the out of the box version to run, I doubt seriously that the patch is going to fix their problems.

As far as providing the patch, it would appear to me that Roxio has done that. It is up to folks to provide the "transportation" to get it to their computer.

I have Nero Ultra 6 on my computer. Nero came out with 50-60MB of updates, darn near every month, before they quit supporting 6, when version 7 came out. Not one time did Nero send me any disk, so I would have to say that the downloading of updates/patches is pretty much the same for all video editing, software manufacturers.

Edited by grandpabruce

I have no clue whether or not the patch will work for folks who are having issues with their computers. If they are having problems getting the out of the box version to run, I doubt seriously that the patch is going to fix their problems.

As far as providing the patch, it would appear to me that Roxio has done that. It is up to folks to provide the "transportation" to get it to their computer.

I have Nero Ultra 6 on my computer. Nero came out with 50-60MB of updates, darn near every month, before they quit supporting 6, when version 7 came out. Not one time did Nero send me any disk, so I would have to say that the downloading of updates/patches is pretty much the same for all video editing, software manufacturers.

I bought Nero 6 Ultra when it first came out.

I have had good experience with it.

Yep, they have had 4 downloadable updates over the last couple of years.

23,000KB, then 17,000KB, then 33,000KB, and the last 36,000Kb (I don't count the very-last 9,700KB for InCD, which was not an update but a bad-repair).

I'm lousy on metrics, but isn't that 2.3MB, 1.7MB, 3.3MB, and 3.6MB spread over a couple of years?

Hard to compare that to 114MB in one-fell-swoop on a new product?

So, if I'm so happy with a fully-working Nero, why am I here?

Must be that I so-liked the interface of Videowave 5 that I wanted that pleasure again. I am not pleased that it is unavailable to me out-of-the-box from EMC8.

Transportation to my computer?

Other than Registration, there is no need (or is there?) for an Internet connection for EMC8 to run.

I will check that though. An Internet connection MAY be one of those side-of-the-box requirements.

I have no way to know if, in my wierd computer, the patch would work or not.

Since it has been established that the patch IS a necessity (to work on non-wierd computers) I'd certainly like to give it a try.

To add to the automotive comparison, would you be happy if the tranny went out on your new GMC and GMC told you that you had to get the repair tranny to your house and you had to install it?

ps, I'm not having any issue with my computer.

again, I'm NOT here (now) to gripe. I'm watching....waiting...watching...reading... :)

The edit: I went over to "Products" to re-check System Requirements for EMC8.

Here's the link:

EMC8

There is no requirement for an Internet CONNECTION other than OPTIONAL for registration/updates/etc...

Nothing about required for repair?

Edited by my7551

I bought Nero 6 Ultra when it first came out.

I have had good experience with it.

Yep, they have had 4 downloadable updates over the last couple of years.

23,000KB, then 17,000KB, then 33,000KB, and the last 36,000Kb (I don't count the very-last 9,700KB for InCD, which was not an update but a bad-repair).

I'm lousy on metrics, but isn't that 2.3MB, 1.7MB, 3.3MB, and 3.6MB spread over a couple of years?

Hard to compare that to 114MB in one-fell-swoop on a new product?

4 downloadable updates over the last couple of years??? You are correct. You are lousy on math. Take a look here, and tell me what the total adds up to. Nero 6 Ultra had these updates, on a monthly basis, until Ultra 7 came out.

http://www.ahead.de/nero6/enu/nero-up.php

I think that you may also have some problems with reading comprehension.

So, if I'm so happy with a fully-working Nero, why am I here?

Must be that I so-liked the interface of Videowave 5 that I wanted that pleasure again. I am not pleased that it is unavailable to me out-of-the-box from EMC8.

Transportation to my computer?

Other than Registration, there is no need (or is there?) for an Internet connection for EMC8 to run.

I will check that though. An Internet connection MAY be one of those side-of-the-box requirements.

I have no way to know if, in my wierd computer, the patch would work or not.

Since it has been established that the patch IS a necessity (to work on non-wierd computers) I'd certainly like to give it a try.

To add to the automotive comparison, would you be happy if the tranny went out on your new GMC and GMC told you that you had to get the repair tranny to your house and you had to install it?

ps, I'm not having any issue with my computer.

again, I'm NOT here (now) to gripe. I'm watching....waiting...watching...reading... :)

The edit: I went over to "Products" to re-check System Requirements for EMC8.

Here's the link:

EMC8

There is no requirement for an Internet CONNECTION other than OPTIONAL for registration/updates/etc...

Nothing about required for repair?

You are being a bit silly, now. Here's your sign.

Over the years, Nero 6 has had MANY updates.

The Nero 6/InCD 4 updates were divided into 6 packges.

I believe the total of the 6 adds up to over 100MB.

Over the years, I had accumulated over 12GB of downloaded Nero updates. I gave up on Nero/Incd back in Feb 2004. Later updates might have been better.

Nero 7 has a 105MB file to download.

Edited by kaikow

OK. It says what it says.

I took my numbers from a file folder I keep on my machine with just the updates.

Nero6303.exe 23,507KB

nve2108.exe 17,032KB

Nero-6.6.0.13.exe 33,039KB

NVE-3.1.0.7.exe 36,169KB

InCD-4.3.14.1.exe 9,739KB BAD-BAD-BAD

If there are/were more, then I missed them.

The final physical size of the downloaded update must differ from the during-download size?

Computers ARE strange!

What is the final physical size on disk of the 114MB fix for EMC8?

Anyway, the Nero-stuff was UPGRADE (enhancements and additions), rather than repair.

THE exception was the InCD REPAIR.

(I made a notepad readme next to the InCD fix saying "Warning; DO NOT install InCD").

I am not familiar with forums on Nero defects/problems because I have had no problems.

From what you all are saying, lots of folks have problems w/Nero.

OK. So I'm lucky w/Nero and unlucky w/EMC8?

>got to backpeddle a bit: I wish to use MyDVD and Videowave, but have no sucess. I have no idea on ALL the other apps included in EMC8 because I do not use them and they are unimportant to me. The same for the other non-video/DVD apps within Nero. Other folk, using the other apps, might be as happy as clams! So when I type EMC8, MY meaning is just these two core apps.<

I "passed" on Nero7 haveing no need to control my TV from my computer.

Look, I don't want to P.O. folks.

Obviously there is much joy and happiness with EMC8.

But NOT by all.

I don't have a wierd computer and it is more up-to-date than most, yet this EMC8 fails to work out-of-box. I don't think I have unreasonable expectations.

I do think that if this 114MB thing is necessary to make it work, then it needs to be company-provided in a reasonable manner. If it is NOT necessary to make the MyDVD and Videowave core apps work, then the need for it is moot.

Anyway, I'll wait and watch.

ps, Do I make comments on personal reading comprehension?

Maybe there are mistakes, or data taken from different sources, but from the articulate responses, there doesn't seem to be any personal defects with the people typing here.

We are discussing a THING, a computer program...or are we? :)

I found out that Roxio has a "restartabel" connection at last and I was able to use GetRight (a download program) to download 8.05. I had to let the thing run from 9pm last night until about 9am this morning (it restarts when my ISP drops the line) and I think I got it all. I installed it but have not tried it yet to see if it works. I am leaving EMC 7.5 on my computer to fill in the holes.

Also found out that you can get a update too large to download from Customer Support at 906-482-5200 from 9am until 6pm EST. There is a small charge according to Roxanne.

I have been using EMC since 6.0 and it has always seemed like Roxio relaesed the software before it was thoroughly tested. It's like they release "beta" versions and all of us test it for them - not unlike Micrposoft.

Don Cochron

I found out that Roxio has a "restartabel" connection at last and I was able to use GetRight (a download program) to download 8.05. I had to let the thing run from 9pm last night until about 9am this morning (it restarts when my ISP drops the line) and I think I got it all. I installed it but have not tried it yet to see if it works. I am leaving EMC 7.5 on my computer to fill in the holes.

Also found out that you can get a update too large to download from Customer Support at 906-482-5200 from 9am until 6pm EST. There is a small charge according to Roxanne.

I have been using EMC since 6.0 and it has always seemed like Roxio relaesed the software before it was thoroughly tested. It's like they release "beta" versions and all of us test it for them - not unlike Micrposoft.

Don Cochron

I am glad that you got the update, Don. I hope that it works out for you.

Bravo!

Read cochron's post and, with modification, it works.

1-906-482-5200 is a carpet cleaning business.

1-905-482-5200 is Sonic's toll-call Customer Service number.

There is a toll-free number: 1-866-280-7694 too.

The 114MB fix (yes, they say it's a fix!) CD costs ten dollars US (Master Card/Visa) and mails out of Canada;

two weeks expected delivery.

So the product's rebate gets re-rebated in the other direction. Capitalism at work!

See you-all in a couple of weeks for a work/don't work report... :)

Bravo!

Read cochron's post and, with modification, it works.

1-906-482-5200 is a carpet cleaning business.

1-905-482-5200 is Sonic's toll-call Customer Service number.

There is a toll-free number: 1-866-280-7694 too.

The 114MB fix (yes, they say it's a fix!) CD costs ten dollars US (Master Card/Visa) and mails out of Canada;

two weeks expected delivery.

So the product's rebate gets re-rebated in the other direction. Capitalism at work!

See you-all in a couple of weeks for a work/don't work report... :)

I, for one, hope that it works for you.

O.K. I will input my opinion. First, if and I mean IF Roxio is selling a product that does not work out of the box, then that's a pretty sad case of affairs. And I will side with some of the replies that my7551 has made. On the other hand, I don't think I have owned one video editing product (And I own most all of them) that you haven't had to download a "FIX" of some kind or another for. But the product did work out of the box initially.

My opinion is that Roxio is no different than most all the other video editing program manufacturers in that they all start selling their products with bugs in them and later work the problems out via downloads. Sorry to hear that there are individuals out there that do not have access to DSL or cable, as dial up is absolutely rotten !!! So I agree with the suggestion to get to someone that has DSL or cable and download the fix and burn it on a disk and be done with it !

And lastly, (and I've expressed this same opinion on other posts) There are some ligitimate problems with Roxios programs, but I suggest that many, many of the problems stated on this forum are do to computer or "cockpit" problems not Roxio. And as someone has already suggested, there are millions of individuals out there that are running Roxio products (any of them) that are really satisfied with how they work. ME for an example !!

I frequent this forum for one reason. It's because it's pretty much like I'm going back to school and learning how to make something work. Others go out and buy all kinds of books for the same reason. At least I have found some really knowledgable individuals on this forum that have helped me with any problem I have had and can get back to me on my problem. The book method if it doesn't solve your problem, then you are back at square one again.

AND, like some of the others have suggested, I too, .really do hope you get your problem "FIXED" and keep coming back and visiting the forum.

Frank.....

RedWagon,

Thanks for understanding "some."

If EMC8 had worked, even poorly, out of the box, I probably would never have looked-for and found this site.

I DO understand the difference between updates, repairs, and upgrades.

I think of an Update as an enhancement like (fictional example) adding the ability to work with .avi files that didn't previously exist.

A Repair would fix something that did not work, or worked very poorly.

An Upgrade adds something entirely new or highly improves to make a new product (version).

It seems to be a matter of OPINION on how a repair-needing product gets repaired.

MY opinion obviously differs from others.

It was/is not my desire to offend sensibilities.

This site is the ONLY no-cost way of dealing with product problems.

Web Tickets, Roxanne, and Live Chat all failed for me.

Resolution is hoped-for in two weeks.

I can sympathize. In April 2007 I bought a MadDog Multimedia external drive that came with Roxio Creator 8.2XE. After loading it, I had computer problems which required a system recovery, taking the computer back to the original configuration and software. Sadly, I must have thrown out the CD inadvertently. Roxio says they don't have the software, eventhough I had registered it with them as the instructions call for. I have the 17 digit key. Yet they say, "We don't have that software, get it from MadDog." Of course, MadDog says get an online download from Roxio. I've gone back and forth on this; still no resolution. I'm very disappointed in Roxio. They charge MadDog for every CD sent out. So Roxio wants me to buy EMC 10 or MadDog to pay them $20 for another license to the same customer. I' looking at competion software now.

I can sympathize. In April 2007 I bought a MadDog Multimedia external drive that came with Roxio Creator 8.2XE. After loading it, I had computer problems which required a system recovery, taking the computer back to the original configuration and software. Sadly, I must have thrown out the CD inadvertently. Roxio says they don't have the software, eventhough I had registered it with them as the instructions call for. I have the 17 digit key. Yet they say, "We don't have that software, get it from MadDog." Of course, MadDog says get an online download from Roxio. I've gone back and forth on this; still no resolution. I'm very disappointed in Roxio. They charge MadDog for every CD sent out. So Roxio wants me to buy EMC 10 or MadDog to pay them $20 for another license to the same customer. I' looking at competion software now.

You opened a 22 month old thread! That, coupled with the fact that your post has nothing in common with the problem the OP was having. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Roxio never supported the OEM stripped down version from MadDog. If they can't help you, you are out of luck.

Edited by grandpabruce