Videowave-vob File Problem Preview And Edit

itobor

Question

Have created a DVD (DVD-RW) on a combo standalone LG Player/Recorder by dubbing over from a VHS Tape. The resulting DVD has .VOB, .IFO and .BUP files on it. The resulting DVD plays fine on TV or Laptop (CinePlayer or WMP both play it OK)

BUT when trying to bring the video into VideoWave to edit it and then re-burn to a new DVD the preview window gets hung up (the audio keeps playing, the video freezes or has long, long delays in responding to forward/back/play etc buttons) - making it impossible to do the editing (even when just importing from the DVD and working with a short 30 second clip).

Also, one section of the VOB file is 1 hr 48 minutes - way too long to comfortably import into Videowave and work with. Is there a way to import it in smaller chunks? Should I be using the "convert video" utility (and if so convert the VOB files to what?) or the media import utility to do something to the DVD files before importing into VideoWave (or should I have made sure the big 1 hr 48 min chunk was divided into separate files during the dubbing from VHS to DVD in the LG standalone?).

I see on the web that there are utility programs available to convert VOB files to AVI (among others). Do I need one of those? - I would think EMC-10 has this function built in somewhere (video convert?)

One or both of these problems might be a consequence of my overwhelmed (underpowered) CPU, graphics card, RAM etc - and if so that will be resolved next week when my new tower will be assembled (YIPPEE!!!!)

Thanks for any thoughts on these issues.....

3 answers to this question

BUT when trying to bring the video into VideoWave to edit it and then re-burn to a new DVD the preview window gets hung up (the audio keeps playing, the video freezes or has long, long delays in responding to forward/back/play etc buttons) - making it impossible to do the editing (even when just importing from the DVD and working with a short 30 second clip).

Also, one section of the VOB file is 1 hr 48 minutes - way too long to comfortably import into Videowave and work with. (

You should be able to use the .vob files directly in VideoWave in EMC 10. Your preview window getting hung up is probably a result of insufficient RAM memory in that laptop. I think your new computer should solve that problem.

The length of the video isn't too long to work with. Many of us are now using 'markers' which allow you to mark the beginning and end of a scene and then go back and remove the unwanted portions all at once. (Markers are located just above the video on the storyline in the Timeline view. They can also be used to mark chapters.) The help file has a pretty good explanation of the markers.

*edited for spelling*

You should be able to use the .vob files directly in VideoWave in EMC 10. Your preview window getting hung up is probably a result of insufficient RAM memory in that laptop. I think your new computer should solve that problem.

The length of the video isn't too long to work with. Many of us are now using 'markers' which allow you to mark the beginning and end of a scene and then go back and remove the unwanted portions all at once. (Markers are located just above the video on the storyline in the Timeline view. They can also be used to mark chapters.) The help file has a pretty good explanation of the markers.

*edited for spelling*

Thanks ML - I thought it might mostly be caused by my soon to be bypassed under-powered laptop.

After my new tower system is set up I will use the laptop just for travel - after I reformat the hard disc - or use the Toshiba recovery disk on it - and put most of the software back on EXCEPT EMC-10. The laptop was fine with EMC-8 for audio work so I'll put EMC-8 back on and not use the Laptop for video work. Poor laptop never recovered from several attempted clean installs of EMC-10 - something got corrupted along the way so I have to take it back to zero..... <_<

As for markers, I used them extensively, for both deletions and to create chapters , for a DVD I edited and burned through EMC-10 based on an AVI file captured from a Canon DV camcorder. Funny that EMC-10 and my laptop were able to work together to do that successfully.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to MERGE clips- I can trim clips, delete sections in the middle, and split clips, but can't figure out how to merge two clips. Would appreciate your advice on on how to do that?

Thanks again

Thanks ML - I thought it might mostly be caused by my soon to be bypassed under-powered laptop.

After my new tower system is set up I will use the laptop just for travel - after I reformat the hard disc - or use the Toshiba recovery disk on it - and put most of the software back on EXCEPT EMC-10. The laptop was fine with EMC-8 for audio work so I'll put EMC-8 back on and not use the Laptop for video work. Poor laptop never recovered from several attempted clean installs of EMC-10 - something got corrupted along the way so I have to take it back to zero..... <_<

As for markers, I used them extensively, for both deletions and to create chapters , for a DVD I edited and burned through EMC-10 based on an AVI file captured from a Canon DV camcorder. Funny that EMC-10 and my laptop were able to work together to do that successfully.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to MERGE clips- I can trim clips, delete sections in the middle, and split clips, but can't figure out how to merge two clips. Would appreciate your advice on on how to do that?

Thanks again

Using Videowave to merge clips, add them to the storyline or timeline and then "Output AS" to a video file

Archived