Saving Menu Styles

spetrillo

Question

Not sure if I asked this one yet...

I have figured out the menu styles and being able to customize them to my liking. What I would like to do is save a style of my own, so it can be re-used. The style I tried to save did not come up in the preview section of the Save Style dialog at all, even though I had changed the images for both the main menu and chapter menus significantly. What is the best way to customize and then save. There are soo many ways to do this I am sure I am prolly not doing it the right way to get it to save and preview properly. The help system for this is not very complete.

Thanks,

Steve

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love SnagIT but am using Fullshot 9 at the time.

Notice that you even got the chapter preview to show. I couldnt do that also, so I still feel like I am doing something wrong. let me step back one extra sec. In my testing at 1 am I also tried saving the Map Style with my own name. It didnt work. The previews were blank too. It must be something on my laptop but what?

Ok let me edit my image as you said. The image has not been deleted or moved. I made sure of that.

Steve

What happens if you try to "Save as Menu Style" a unmodified menu such as the map style menu. Do the menus appear properly in the preview windows? If you have already tried this and I missed it in the posts then sorry!

Walt,

The only reason why I did what I did was to add/edit the music to go along with the image. This is the crux of the issue. If there is another way to do that then what is it? I cannot see anyway to go around this.

Steve

I guess you just have to edit the image and audio outside of the menu process and output it as a video clip and then use it as the background. Or you could just edit the audio in Audio editor and the use change Menu audio to change to the new clip

I cannot see anyway to go around this.

Well, there is the 'old fashioned' way that I used to do before programs offered customized menus.

Simply do a File\Save as..... and save the file as a 'template'. Then remove the movies in that project and Save it again. You're saving a .dmsd project that contains your customized menu, music, etc. which you can reuse in a future project.

Then when you want to use that menu style again, open your 'menu template' ( DVD project ) and do a File\Save as again and then add your movies to the new project.

It's not going to take up much space on your hard drive and you've got to keep your background and music in the original locations, but you'd have to do that with a customized menu too.

Well, there is the 'old fashioned' way that I used to do before programs offered customized menus.

Simply do a File\Save as..... and save the file as a 'template'. Then remove the movies in that project and Save it again. You're saving a .dmsd project that contains your customized menu, music, etc. which you can reuse in a future project.

Then when you want to use that menu style again, open your 'menu template' ( DVD project ) and do a File\Save as again and then add your movies to the new project.

It's not going to take up much space on your hard drive and you've got to keep your background and music in the original locations, but you'd have to do that with a customized menu too.

Makes sense but here is the catch. The only reason I go to Videowave is not to edit or manipulate the image but to add music and then edit the music that goes with the image. Should I do all my muisc edits first without the image present, so the image cannot get corrupted, go back to the main menu and then add the image normall? Maybe that will keep things in line. I will try that this morning and report back to all.

Steve

I seriously doubt that the image is an issue. I haven't gotten around to putting EMC 10 on the laptop yet. I'll do that soon and get back to you.

Gary,

Dont do anything at this time. Tech support finally got back to me and they are looking at it now. Once I finally got them focused on the issue (after many hours of tests and screenshots) they have indicated they are looking at a few things.

One thing you could help me with is to tell me when I save a style how do I apply the image to the chapter preview. Wuse the map style and change the image it only shows the changed image in the first preview. The map style image is still present in the chapter preview.

Many thanks,

Steve

Load the project with the custom menu

Under FILE, choose SAVE AS MENU STYLE

I tried doing that but when I save the style it comes up blank in the preview, which I dont think should be happening. Is there also a way to apply a background image across all panels to be used?

Thanks,

Steve

Gary,

Dont do anything at this time. Tech support finally got back to me and they are looking at it now. Once I finally got them focused on the issue (after many hours of tests and screenshots) they have indicated they are looking at a few things.

One thing you could help me with is to tell me when I save a style how do I apply the image to the chapter preview. Wuse the map style and change the image it only shows the changed image in the first preview. The map style image is still present in the chapter preview.

Many thanks,

Steve

I haven't gone back and re-read all the previous post but did you also change the image for the chapter menu? To change the image in the chapter menu you of course have to have a chapter menu in you project.

I haven't gone back and re-read all the previous post but did you also change the image for the chapter menu? To change the image in the chapter menu you of course have to have a chapter menu in you project.

Walt,

So I explicitly have to add a chapter menu in order to change the default map style image? If so do I just add a submenu to the main menu and name it chapter?

Thanks,

Steve

What do you mean by all 'panels'? There are two distinct menu designs: main menu and submenu. When you create a main menu and multiple page main menu, they should automatically be the same. Same goes for all submenus. If you want the Main menu and sub-menus the same, you will have to design your own.

I tried doing that but when I save the style it comes up blank in the preview, which I dont think should be happening.

Try saving the project first, then do the instruction that ggrussell provided you. Afterwards, select Change Menu Styles and look for the custom style that you created. It should bear the name that you assigned to the style.

What do you mean by all 'panels'? There are two distinct menu designs: main menu and submenu. When you create a main menu and multiple page main menu, they should automatically be the same. Same goes for all submenus. If you want the Main menu and sub-menus the same, you will have to design your own.

When you pick a style from the ones that are provided in EMC10 it tells you that this style will apply to all menus, chapter menus, etc if you select the right option. I am trying to ensure that the style I create and save does the same thing from the get go. Maybe I am saying it wrong but I will try to be clear with the steps I am taking:

1) I am opening MyDVD and selecting Change Menu Style.

2)I select the MAP style, which shows me how the main menus and chapter menus will look like by default.

3) I select Apply Style to Entire Project and click OK.

Now I have the MAP style on my screen and would like to change a couple of things. I would like to change the default image and I would also like to change the default audio. I would like this to apply to all in this project/style. How do I go about doing this, and then saving this as my custom style?

I hope this clears up what I am trying to accomplish. I am sorry if I have everyone spinning but my rookie head is spinning too.

Thanks,

Steve

When you pick a style from the ones that are provided in EMC10 it tells you that this style will apply to all menus, chapter menus, etc if you select the right option. I am trying to ensure that the style I create and save does the same thing from the get go. Maybe I am saying it wrong but I will try to be clear with the steps I am taking:

1) I am opening MyDVD and selecting Change Menu Style.

2)I select the MAP style, which shows me how the main menus and chapter menus will look like by default.

3) I select Apply Style to Entire Project and click OK.

Now I have the MAP style on my screen and would like to change a couple of things. I would like to change the default image and I would also like to change the default audio. I would like this to apply to all in this project/style. How do I go about doing this, and then saving this as my custom style?

I hope this clears up what I am trying to accomplish. I am sorry if I have everyone spinning but my rookie head is spinning too.

Thanks,

Steve

This post covers some of the things you asked such as changing background/image and audio.

Walt,

So I explicitly have to add a chapter menu in order to change the default map style image? If so do I just add a submenu to the main menu and name it chapter?

Thanks,

Steve

Why not be adventurous and experiment? :rolleyes: Thats how most of us are learning about the different features!

This post covers some of the things you asked such as changing background/image and audio.

Yes I know about this and have been referring to it extensively but it does not help in trying to save the style. When I try to save the previews come up blank. I even continue to save with a custom name. Then I go back and start by trying to apply this saved style to a new project and its blank.

When I want to create a menu style I want to save, I start with one small video file. To keep down confusion, I rename the first menu 'Main Menu' and the sub-menu ... well 'Submenu'. LOL

I'll start with MAP since that's what you have chosen.

First add a video file and Edit Chapters. Doesn't matter how big a file or how many chapters. Well actually you will need about 15 or more chapters to full edit most submenus.

Now you're ready to customize

First I renamed the menus to keep down the confusion (for me that is LOL).

The I change background images or use video if you like.

You can also change the buttons. Just select a button, right click 'Show Settings'. Click on second TAB. Then select from the button style drop down list box.

This goes for ANY button including thumbnail buttons and nav buttons like HOME, NEXT, UP, & BACK.

Sometimes check the preview to make sure the buttons work how you like and are all correct.

Save As menu Style when done

Caveat: There maybe be possible items to edit that you don't have on your menu. For example the Next, Up or Back buttons. If you don't have those on your menu or submenu, you can't edit those.

Also don't forget to edit all the little details like text fonts and fonts colors, button highlight colors and whether the button is filled with color or just a line around it when highlighted. These small details really make it more customized.

Oops.... didn't mean this to turn into a custom menu tutorial. :)

post-49-1210636889.jpg

post-49-1210636895.jpg

post-49-1210636900.jpg

When you SAVE AS MENU STYLE, it should save all menus including the submenu that you have changed. When you choose your custom menu style, it should work just like any other menu style.

So what is happening when you use the option to save your menu style?

Well gents I have been a busy bee since my last post. So here is what I have accomplished since that post:

1) Rebuilt laptop from the scratch, complete with SP3, all updated patches, drivers, DirectX, etc.

2) New install of EMC10, including EMC10 content.

3) Took Map style and tried to save it as a new style.

The following screenshot is what I got:

256904-MyDVD.jpeg

Not sure if this muddies the water or clears it. Since Videowave crashed I am guessing it video driver related. My video drivers are at the latest level from Intel. I hope this gives you something to work with. As always if you need me to try something just let me know.

As an aside if anyone needs a slip-streamed full WinXP SP3 install CD please let me know. While building the laptop I created this at the same time. Who says men cannot multi-task!

Steve

When I want to create a menu style I want to save, I start with one small video file. To keep down confusion, I rename the first menu 'Main Menu' and the sub-menu ... well 'Submenu'. LOL

I'll start with MAP since that's what you have chosen.

First add a video file and Edit Chapters. Doesn't matter how big a file or how many chapters. Well actually you will need about 15 or more chapters to full edit most submenus.

Now you're ready to customize

First I renamed the menus to keep down the confusion (for me that is LOL).

The I change background images or use video if you like.

You can also change the buttons. Just select a button, right click 'Show Settings'. Click on second TAB. Then select from the button style drop down list box.

This goes for ANY button including thumbnail buttons and nav buttons like HOME, NEXT, UP, & BACK.

Sometimes check the preview to make sure the buttons work how you like and are all correct.

Save As menu Style when done

Caveat: There maybe be possible items to edit that you don't have on your menu. For example the Next, Up or Back buttons. If you don't have those on your menu or submenu, you can't edit those.

Also don't forget to edit all the little details like text fonts and fonts colors, button highlight colors and whether the button is filled with color or just a line around it when highlighted. These small details really make it more customized.

Oops.... didn't mean this to turn into a custom menu tutorial. :)

Gary you are awesome...thanks very much for all the help with this question (wow what a tutorial), and for the problem we have worked on together. Once I hear back from tech support I will PM you with the results.

Steve

Well gents I have been a busy bee since my last post. So here is what I have accomplished since that post:

1) Rebuilt laptop from the scratch, complete with SP3, all updated patches, drivers, DirectX, etc.

2) New install of EMC10, including EMC10 content.

3) Took Map style and tried to save it as a new style.

Not sure if this muddies the water or clears it. Since Videowave crashed I am guessing it video driver related. My video drivers are at the latest level from Intel. I hope this gives you something to work with. As always if you need me to try something just let me know.

As an aside if anyone needs a slip-streamed full WinXP SP3 install CD please let me know. While building the laptop I created this at the same time. Who says men cannot multi-task!

Steve

If you click on what is in the report, what do you see? If it references a wmvdecod .dll file, there is something you can try. I have to find the post. I'll edit this when I find it.

Edit: Try this

Makes sense but here is the catch. The only reason I go to Videowave is not to edit or manipulate the image but to add music and then edit the music that goes with the image. Should I do all my muisc edits first without the image present, so the image cannot get corrupted, go back to the main menu and then add the image normall? Maybe that will keep things in line. I will try that this morning and report back to all.

Steve

I don't know because I've never tried it. Many people prefer editing their music in programs like Sound Editor first to get a finished music project that they then add to the menu.

What I suggested is a workaround for the bug that doesn't allow you to save an edited custom menu. What you're doing is saving a MyDVD project that only contains your edited menu, music and any other changes that you've made to the menu. (In years past, this was called a template.)

When you go to reuse the MyDVD menu template, you save another copy of the MyDVD project that has the edited menu and add your movie to the new copy.

I'd like to see the saving an edited menu feature fixed, but don't have a lot of hope that it'll be fixed in this version.

Steve

I would never edit the image/audio used for background while in myDVD. I would always do it using the "stand-alone" Videowave. You will then have no problems with saving your menu-style.

Archived