• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Bd Video Onto Dvd Only Works With 720p

videojanitor

Question

I posted this story in another thread, but since it might have been lost in the noise, I thought I would try again with it's own topic. Here's the deal:

I have various recordings that I have made both with EyeTV and transferred from TiVo -- some of the material is 1080i, and some is 720p. My goal is burn these files as "Blu-ray video" onto 4.7GB DVDs with Toast 9.0.2 -- preferably without re-encoding them as that takes eons. I have Toast set to "never re-encode" -- when I drop a 720p file in, the results are awesome. The video is quickly multiplexed, and then the burn begins -- 15 or or minutes later, I have a disc that plays perfectly in both my Sony and Panasonic Blu-ray players.

The problem arises when I try to do the same thing with 1080i files. It goes through the same process, but the resulting disc is not usable. There is some pixellating at the bottom of the screen, and the image freezes briefly every few seconds. I've tried different discs, different burners, but the results are always the same, be it an EyeTV or TiVo file.

I thought it might be a bit rate issue, but some of the 720p files are running at upwards of 18 Mb/s, while some of the 1080i files are in the 15 Mb/s range. So, that would not seem to be the problem.

Any clues/hints appreciated! Perhaps this is a bug and I am chasing my tail until a fix is released ...

2 answers to this question

I have two ways of obtaining the source files: I can either transfer them over from my Series 3 TiVo, or make direct recordings with ElGato's EyeTV. Either way, I get the same result -- anything that was from a 720p broadcast works fine, but 1080i broadcasts (from a variety of local channels), do not. They're all MPEG-2 program stream files. The1080i files result in what looks like a buffer being overflowed -- the image freezes every few seconds as it tries to compensate. At least, that's the way it appears to the eye -- it could indeed be something completely different.

If I can supply any further information, let me know.

I posted this story in another thread, but since it might have been lost in the noise, I thought I would try again with it's own topic. Here's the deal:

I have various recordings that I have made both with EyeTV and transferred from TiVo -- some of the material is 1080i, and some is 720p. My goal is burn these files as "Blu-ray video" onto 4.7GB DVDs with Toast 9.0.2 -- preferably without re-encoding them as that takes eons. I have Toast set to "never re-encode" -- when I drop a 720p file in, the results are awesome. The video is quickly multiplexed, and then the burn begins -- 15 or or minutes later, I have a disc that plays perfectly in both my Sony and Panasonic Blu-ray players.

The problem arises when I try to do the same thing with 1080i files. It goes through the same process, but the resulting disc is not usable. There is some pixellating at the bottom of the screen, and the image freezes briefly every few seconds. I've tried different discs, different burners, but the results are always the same, be it an EyeTV or TiVo file.

I thought it might be a bit rate issue, but some of the 720p files are running at upwards of 18 Mb/s, while some of the 1080i files are in the 15 Mb/s range. So, that would not seem to be the problem.

Any clues/hints appreciated! Perhaps this is a bug and I am chasing my tail until a fix is released ...

Any details you can give us on the source file would be helpful, thanks! (what kind of files, source, etc)

Archived