Roxie

How To Update From 8.2 Xe?

Question

I have Roxio Creator 8.2 XE, and as suggested by the program's opening page, I have just downloaded a free update file called "creatorxe905u". Now what do I do? Windows says it's an unknown file type so can't run it, and I don't see how Creator can import or execute the file either. What am I missing?

By the way, I can find no referece anywhere on Roxio's site for a description of the update or what improvements it provides, and a search of all of Roxio's discussion groups for "creatorxe905u" yields NO results.

Thanks for any help.

Currently installed:

Roxio Creator 8.2 XE

Version: 8.2.300

Build: 823B00H, MDM

Serial Number: [removed by Brendon]

Edited by Brendon

21 answers to this question

There is no free Upgrade between any version and yours is an OEM to boot…

V8 has been out of production for about 2 years now.

V10 is the current version.

I have Roxio Creator 8.2 XE, and as suggested by the program's opening page, I have just downloaded a free update file called "creatorxe905u". Now what do I do? Windows says it's an unknown file type so can't run it, and I don't see how Creator can import or execute the file either. What am I missing?

By the way, I can find no referece anywhere on Roxio's site for a description of the update or what improvements it provides, and a search of all of Roxio's discussion groups for "creatorxe905u" yields NO results.

Thanks for any help.

Currently installed:

Roxio Creator 8.2 XE

You have a OEM version of Roxio, it probably came with your Madog burner, check with Madog its their software.

Were did you download the free update file from?

Edited by Brendon

Thanks for any help.

Currently installed:

Roxio Creator 8.2 XE

I couldn't find a 905 update, on the Roxio site. You better run a virus check, on that file.

You need an upgrade, anyway, not an update.

Edited by Brendon

Best get rid of it fast - this is the only info I can find on that

"...The filename CREATORXE905U.EXE was first seen on Sep 5 2007 in The UNITED STATES.

The filename CREATORXE905U.EXE refers to an object. It has file size of 491,931,872 bytes. This file has no vendor, product or version information specified in the file header.

CREATORXE905U.EXE has been seen to perform the following behavior(s):

* Registers a Dynamic Link Library File

CREATORXE905U.EXE has been the subject of the following behavior(s):

* Executed as a Process

..."

It IS malware

"...The filename CREATORXE905U.EXE was first seen on Sep 5 2007 in The UNITED STATES.

The filename CREATORXE905U.EXE refers to an object. It has file size of 491,931,872 bytes. This file has no vendor, product or version information specified in the file header.

* Executed as a Process

..."

It IS malware

Maybe Roxie will tell us where he/she got it from. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by grandpabruce

Thanks for all of your replies. Let me clarify a few points.

The union of Roxio and Sonic has caused a lot of confusion for me. Although "creatorxe905u" doesn't exist on Roxio's sites, it apparently does exist on Sonic's. When I run Roxio Creator 8.2 XE, the opening "Welcome" screen automatically communicates with Roxio on the web and gives a list of sales pitches, feature articles, and tips that are all available. The first thing on the list is this:

"FREE upgrade for Creator 8.2 XE users. Click here",

and it links to this Sonic page:

http://docs.sonic.com/updates/emc9/creator...=31&kn=Easy Media Creator 8 OEM XE Generic&type=main

You can go there yourself if you want to see what I'm seeing. It looks offcial to me, obviously from SONIC and not from some hacker site. When I click on the link, I don't get a description or explanation of the download. I just get the standard windows download dialog, asking if I want to save or open the file. I have saved it to disk (562,355KB) and run AVG scans more than once on the file, which always checks OK. There is no filename extension- no ".exe" or other suffix. Just "creatorxe905u". It seems to be some kind of zipped file- When I scan it, AVG reports that it contains 7527 individal files. Since I don't know how to run or unzip it, I can't give any more info.

The original 8.2XE came with my Mad Dog DVDRW drive. I'm having problems with the program freezing in the middle of rendering a DVD image, and I was hoping that the free update would solve my problems. Since I only need to burn a couple of homemade DVDs, I don't want to spend the money for v.10 if I don't have to. I'm using XP Pro, not Vista, so I hoped the older version(s) would work OK.

Thanks for your further comments.

* Executed as a Process

..."

It IS malware

Thanks for all of your replies. Let me clarify a few points.

The union of Roxio and Sonic has caused a lot of confusion for me. Although "creatorxe905u" doesn't exist on Roxio's sites, it apparently does exist on Sonic's. When I run Roxio Creator 8.2 XE, the opening "Welcome" screen automatically communicates with Roxio on the web and gives a list of sales pitches, feature articles, and tips that are all available. The first thing on the list is this:

"FREE upgrade for Creator 8.2 XE users. Click here",

and it links to this Sonic page:

http://docs.sonic.com/updates/emc9/creator...=31&kn=Easy Media Creator 8 OEM XE Generic&type=main

You can go there yourself if you want to see what I'm seeing. It looks offcial to me, obviously from SONIC and not from some hacker site. When I click on the link, I don't get a description or explanation of the download. I just get the standard windows download dialog, asking if I want to save or open the file. I have saved it to disk (562,355KB) and run AVG scans more than once on the file, which always checks OK. There is no filename extension- no ".exe" or other suffix. Just "creatorxe905u". It seems to be some kind of zipped file- When I scan it, AVG reports that it contains 7527 individal files. Since I don't know how to run or unzip it, I can't give any more info.

The original 8.2XE came with my Mad Dog DVDRW drive. I'm having problems with the program freezing in the middle of rendering a DVD image, and I was hoping that the free update would solve my problems. Since I only need to burn a couple of homemade DVDs, I don't want to spend the money for v.10 if I don't have to. I'm using XP Pro, not Vista, so I hoped the older version(s) would work OK.

Thanks for your further comments.

Well, the link you posted does not go to a page with any info on it, it just opens a dialog to download the file. When I click on it in Firefox, it shows the file as "creatorxe905u.exe". Only in IE does it show as "creatorxe905u" without the extension. Why, I have no idea.

If the file is legitimate, then my guess is that Maddog made arrangements with Roxio/Sonic to provide it, since the 8XE (and subsequent 9XE) versions are their special OEM contracted ones.

If you want to try the file, just rename it so it has the ".exe" extension on it.

As to whether it will help with the rendering problem you eluded to, there's no way of knowing. My guess would be that it won't. Rendering problems are usually solved by updating the drivers for your video card/chip (from the manufacturer, NOT MS updates), or uninstalling/reboot/installing them if they are already current. And installing the latest DirectX update.

Also, even if renaming the file lets you upgrade from v8 to v9 XE, you'll have to start your project over most likely. In the retail versions of 8 & 9, project files were rarely, if ever, interchangeable.

Edited by Larry

You should be able to pick up EMC 9 fairly inexpensively on eBay or similar.

HOWEVER - if the problems mentioned by Larry are the cause, they have to be dealt with FIRST.

Lynn

[snip]

You can go there yourself if There is no filename extension- no ".exe" or other suffix. Just "creatorxe905u". It seems to be some kind of zipped file- When I scan it, AVG reports that it contains 7527 individal files. Since I don't know how to run or unzip it, I can't give any more info.

You need to tell Windows to show you all file types. In the Tools/Folder Options/View, scroll down and uncheck the box to the left of "Hide extensions for known file type". You will then see the .exe file extension.

Also, while you are in the View folder, click in the circle to the left of "Show hidden files and folders", if it doesn't already have a dot in it. You will need to see those folders, if you ever have to do a clean install.

Nope. The file extension is not hidden- it's just nonexistant. As Larry said above, it seems to be some weird quirk of MSIE that causes the '.exe' to be dropped. I can easily add it back by renaming the file, now that I know what the extension is supposed to be.

Here's the problem I'm having that caused me to think I might need the upgrade: I have several .avi files that I want to convert to DVD format, with each avi being a separate chapter. When I press the BURN button in 8.2XE, it begins to process the first avi chapter and when it reaches 99% progress of the chapter (some smaller percentage of the entire disc), everything just freezes. It should move on to the next avi, but it just sits there doing nothing. I can't end the program and I can't do anything else with the computer, either. Windows Task Manager says that the program is not responding, and the only thing I can do to regain control is to use Task Manager to end the Roxio program.

The avi files are each ~25 minutes long and ~250KB. Three of them fit on a DVD with the "high quality" setting, with some room to spare. The odd thing is that I have been successful making a test DVD of several short (~2 minute) avi files, but the large files all fail at the end of the first one.

I have plenty of RAM (1GB) and hard disc space (40GB free), and no other programs are running when I'm using Roxio.

You need to tell Windows to show you all file types. In the Tools/Folder Options/View, scroll down and uncheck the box to the left of "Hide extensions for known file type". You will then see the .exe file extension.

Also, while you are in the View folder, click in the circle to the left of "Show hidden files and folders", if it doesn't already have a dot in it. You will need to see those folders, if you ever have to do a clean install.

IO downloaded the file from that link and it DOES have a .exe extension. If you did a 'save as' and accidentally forgot top say .exe at the end, that would explain it

However, I scanned it (it was clean and no virus), BUT, it is NOT an update or an upgrade for EMC8 - it is a patch file for EMC9 XE, so it is of no use to you

Edited by gi7omy

I know that some of you think I'm misreading or misunderstanding this weird download, but I'm not. Really.

Here's what I see on my Roxio 8.2XE opening screen. Note the 1st link, in the center of the screen (click the imarge to enlarge it):

roxioscreennu8.jpg

And here's what I see when I click on the upgrade link. There is no '.exe' shown, and there is still no '.exe' on the downloaded file:

downloadmsglc1.jpg

I think I'll play it safe for now and not run the 'upgrade'. But why would Roxio promote a v.9 upgrade for a v.8 program? Very strange. So I'm still stuck with the original problem. I'll take grandpabruce's advice and check ebay for v.9.

IO downloaded the file from that link and it DOES have a .exe extension. If you did a 'save as' and accidentally forgot top say .exe at the end, that would explain it

However, I scanned it (it was clean and no virus), BUT, it is NOT an update or an upgrade for EMC8 - it is a patch file for EMC9 XE, so it is of no use to you

I know that some of you think I'm misreading or misunderstanding this weird download, but I'm not. Really.

Here's what I see on my Roxio 8.2XE opening screen. Note the 1st link, in the center of the screen (click the imarge to enlarge it):

roxioscreennu8.jpg

And here's what I see when I click on the upgrade link. There is no '.exe' shown, and there is still no '.exe' on the downloaded file:

downloadmsglc1.jpg

I think I'll play it safe for now and not run the 'upgrade'. But why would Roxio promote a v.9 upgrade for a v.8 program? Very strange. So I'm still stuck with the original problem. I'll take grandpabruce's advice and check ebay for v.9.

You have a Madog OEM (cut down version) version of Roxio and all support for THEIR version comes from them. We have no ideaa what sort of a deal the two companies have worked out, so, contact Madog to explain why you get the promo for Roxio's full version.

I think you missed the point, Tony.

Roxie was showing that the download is clearly listed by Sonic as a Free Upgrade for Creator 8.2 XE users, and not a patch for Creator 9.

It also shows that the upgrade for the OEM version is coming directly from Sonic.

Once again, the things that we have previously held as 'eternal truths' about updates vs. upgrades and OEM software, have been tipped upside-down by Sonic management.

Regards,

Brendon

ogdens-

I'm not trying to start a big argument here, but I think I'm still being misunderstood by you. In the first picture, above, of my 8.2XE screen, my intent was to show you the link for an 8.2XE upgrade. Ignore the big banner for the full version of Creator10 (also an 'upgrade').

My version (8.2XE) may have been distributed by Mad Dog, but it was certainly not written by them. In fact, there is no obvious connection between the 2 companies other than the propaganda written on the drive's packaging. Nothing in the program itself makes any reference to Mad Dog. Furthermore, it is Roxio- not Mad Dog- that has offered me a free upgrade, available from Roxio's (OK- Sonic's) web site- not from Mad Dog's site.

A visit to Mad Dog (http://www.mdmm.com/) yields virtually no information about this software, other than to mention that some drives come with 8.2XE or 9.05XE (9.05XE is, I assume, what the upgrade is all about). There are no tech support links or forums such as this one where I could learn more.

And that's why I'm asking my questions here and not at Mad Dog. I understand that I have a 'lite' version, but it's still a Roxio product. By the way, I learned long ago that emails or help requests sent directly to Roxio or Sonic NEVER receive an answer.

I have just ordered a copy of Acronis True Image backup software. As soon as I get my HD cloned, I'll go ahead and run the 905XE upgrade and see if I can finally get my DVDs burned.

You have a Madog OEM (cut down version) version of Roxio and all support for THEIR version comes from them. We have no ideaa what sort of a deal the two companies have worked out, so, contact Madog to explain why you get the promo for Roxio's full version.

Roxie - you are misunderstanding the setup regarding 'lite' versions

These may be produced by Roxio, but they are altered to suit whatever the suppliers request - in your case, Maddog. It is Madddog who are responsible for support for their version.

Versions are also produced for HP, for Dell and others - in each case it is the ORM who is supposed to provice support and patches (if any).

There is another 'XE' version that I'm aware of and that is the Hewlett Packard one - now whether this will work as an upgrade to the Maddog drive is something I can't answer. You can try, but there are no guarantees on this

And that's why I'm asking my questions here and not at Mad Dog. I understand that I have a 'lite' version, but it's still a Roxio product. By the way, I learned long ago that emails or help requests sent directly to Roxio or Sonic NEVER receive an answer.

I have just ordered a copy of Acronis True Image backup software. As soon as I get my HD cloned, I'll go ahead and run the 905XE upgrade and see if I can finally get my DVDs burned.

You're wise to be cautious Roxie, and very perceptive about emails and help requests. :)

What is the problem you were having, getting your DVDs burned? You don't seem to have mentioned that yet.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon-

My initial problem was a failure of 8.2XE to process 3 avi files in the creation of a DVD. I described it up above, in post #11.

A friend has now suggested that I might be trying to use the 'wrong kind' of avi file. It seems that the files I'm using require DIVX to play directly in media player or my preferred player, Jet Audio. He noticed that as I load each file into Roxio, a little DIVX logo appears temporarily in my system tray. I am certainly no expert when it comes to creating and editing DVD files, and maybe that's something I should have been aware of. I guess my next step should be to learn about avi files and their various forms and formats.

The files I'm trying to convert are for individual episodes of an old Discovery Channel program called "The Secret Life of Machines". You can download them from

http://www.techno-fandom.org/slom.shtml and from many other sites including Piratebay.org, where I got my copies:

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/3642309/T...309.TPB.torrent

If you haven't seen this series, it's worth downloading a few episodes to see what the show is about.

Note that these are not pirated videos. The author/producer, Tim Hunkin, encourages the downloading of the files and grants full permission. See this page:

http://www.timhunkin.com/41_slom1.htm

On the subject of getting support for the 8.2XE product from Mad Dog, it doesn't seem to be possible for the reasons I have given previously.

... What is the problem you were having, getting your DVDs burned? You don't seem to have mentioned that yet.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon-

My initial problem was a failure of 8.2XE to process 3 avi files in the creation of a DVD. I described it up above, in post #11.

My fault thank you, I missed it while addressing other things. Muy bad.

Follow up-

The free offered upgrade from Roxio/Sonic is, as suspected, version 9.05 XE (another 'lite' version). Don't waste your time installing it as I did- for one thing, it is not possible to add chapters to your movies in this version.

My problem with not being able to render a complete DVD with 8.2XE turns out (apparently) to be another 'lite' limitation. It now seems to be true that you can only produce an ISO intermediate file of something less than 2GB, at which point it just stops working. DIVX and other required codecs, if required and installed, have no effect on this glitch. DVDs made from one or more short avi files can be rendered properly, as long as the finished ISO size is less than ~2GB.

My conclusion is that one should never try to use an intentionally crippled/lite version of a Roxio/Sonic product.

Roxie,

Thanks for the follow-up. It confirms several dark suspicions we had about the XE versions, but couldn't confirm without a copy of the software to poke sticks at.

I agree with your conclusion, too.