• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Legacy Record Now 7 Burns Cd In Mono

drdx

Question

I found an interesting problem with my trusty version of Record Now 7.

I just burned a CD and it came out fine and played in the CD player in the car OK. But it sounded funny.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the entire CD was in monophonic. The original source material is stereo.

I found this funny because I burned a CD a short time ago and it was perfect. So, I burned a test CD with some original source material from the older CD and the newer CD. The older songs were in stereo, and the newer ones were in mono.

I took a careful look at the configuration of the files I was recording.

The ones which recorded OK in stereo are: MPEG-1 Layer 3, 132kb/sec, 7600 frames, 44100 Hz, Joint Stereo.

The ones which defaulted to mono are: MPEG-2.0 Layer 3, 128kb/sec, 3424 frams 22050 Hz, Joint Stereo.

This makes sense because I do mix down my music at the slower 22khz rate to save disk space. My tired ears cannot tell the difference! I'm not sure if this is a factor or if the different MPEG version is a factor.

So, why is Record Now having trouble properly converting this mp3's to CD audio format? Is this an inherent problem with this version, all versions, or is there a secret setting I need to change?

By the way, I managed to use Easy CD Creator, a much older product, and it worked fine. It's hard to believe the newer product cannot get the job done.

Any answers to this?

DrDX

4 answers to this question

Something is definately weird cuz if I read this table correctly then you shouldn't have an mpeg-2.0 file that has a bit rate of more than 64K.Anything above that would be and mpeg-1.

The standard is 8kbs to 160kbs at 22050 Hz MPEG-2.0 Layer 3. 32kbs to 320kbs at 44100 Hz MPEG-1 Layer 3. The lower/higher sampling rate is defaulted by your choice of MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.0.

cd

post-97-1210605499.png

post-97-1210606354.png

post-97-1210606376.png

I'm not sure but it looks like you've created 2 different kinds of discs.

The first is an MPEG-1 and the second is MPEG 2.MPEG-1 Layer 3 are mp3's.MPEG-2 is a standard used in Audio-Video applications.

It looks like the output format got changed somehow.

I took a careful look at the configuration of the files I was recording.

The ones which recorded OK in stereo are: MPEG-1 Layer 3, 132kb/sec, 7600 frames, 44100 Hz, Joint Stereo.

The ones which defaulted to mono are: MPEG-2.0 Layer 3, 128kb/sec, 3424 frams 22050 Hz, Joint Stereo.

This makes sense because I do mix down my music at the slower 22khz rate to save disk space.

I have seen this in EAC and other ripping software making Mp3's.

MPG 2.0 is for low bitrates and sample frequencies, MPG 1.0 is for high bitrates and sample frequencies.

So, why is Record Now having trouble properly converting this mp3's to CD audio format?

If it only happens with the lower sample rate, 22050 Hz Mp3. Record Now 7 has to be the problem!

Easy Cd Creator was a Adaptec / Roxio product. Record Now 7 is a Sonic product. :)

cd

Archived