• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sense Key = Medium Error

mderison

Toast 8 fails 90% of the time  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Does this error happen to you?

• yes
    • no
    • sometimes

Question

My MacBook, running 10.5.2 spends hours using Toast 8.0.4 (170) trying to burn DVDs from Tivo files using the built-in DVD drive (MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857), but almost always ends with the same errors, i.e.:

The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR

Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03

I click OK, and then I get:

The disc failed to be written.

The drive works fine to burn CDs and DVDs using iMovie or iDVD.

What do I have to do to get Toast to work consistently to create DVDs from Tivo files?

Roxio then writes back with three instructions...

I went to "Confirm you have the proper Operating System for your version" page, got error "The page cannot be found". I went to "Confirm you have the latest Toast updates", and I do (8.04). I went to "Confirm you have the latest firmware installed for your recorder", and got error "The page cannot be found". I have buffer overrun turned on.

I have been writing about this issue for months, check issues under my email. If all you can do is provide me "canned" responses, that you are not doing enough. I need to talk to a human being who understands the issue, understands that I have ruled out the finger pointing (its your hardware, its your operating system, its the wrong version, its the wrong brand DVD, etc.) and finally fix the problem, return my money or upgrade me to a version that works.

4 answers to this question

Toast 8.01 worked 90% on my macbook pro. Upgraded to 8.04 and voila - 60% fail rate

sense code error 0 x 73 & 0 x 03

this is burning 52 x vbtm cds which I have used constantly.

so , cd s the same - burner the same, only variable - software

going down to 1x doesn't even solve it and, buffer underrun prevention is ticked.

WHERE AM I GOING WRONG???

What format are you trying to burn? Is it data or audio CDs or something else? Have you tested by choosing Save as Disc Image and then using the Copy window to burn the image file to disc?

You can reinstall your earlier version of Toast 8 without deleting Toast 8.0.4. Give that a try to see if the discs burn successfully with the earlier version as you previously experienced.

The drive in a MacBook Pro is not very good (I have one, too.) It also could be a firmware problem.

It isn't possible to burn at 1x speed on your drive with that media. I believe 8x is the slowest available speed. The available speeds become known after the blank disc is inserted and recognized by the drive.

Toast 8.01 worked 90% on my macbook pro. Upgraded to 8.04 and voila - 60% fail rate

sense code error 0 x 73 & 0 x 03

this is burning 52 x vbtm cds which I have used constantly.

so , cd s the same - burner the same, only variable - software

going down to 1x doesn't even solve it and, buffer underrun prevention is ticked.

WHERE AM I GOING WRONG???

Archived