• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Grayed Out Buttons In Premiere Edition

sportmomk

Question

I have read the posts from Feb from folks who, like me, have found several features in the help of MyDVD but in trying to execute them find the buttons grayed out. I particularly want to be able to make an "unlinked button" to make a "play all" button and to be able to use the "settings" button under "View". It isn't just you folks with the "essentials" version. I already have the MyDVD 8 Premiere edition. There is no higher edition for sale that I can see. Anyone know why do I not have access to these features? Is there something else to buy?

6 answers to this question

I have read the posts from Feb from folks who, like me, have found several features in the help of MyDVD but in trying to execute them find the buttons grayed out. I particularly want to be able to make an "unlinked button" to make a "play all" button and to be able to use the "settings" button under "View". It isn't just you folks with the "essentials" version. I already have the MyDVD 8 Premiere edition. There is no higher edition for sale that I can see. Anyone know why do I not have access to these features? Is there something else to buy?

Unfortunately Sonic/Roxio has so many different packages that things are really starting to get confusing. You have the myDVD 8 Premiere package which is part of the myDVD 8 family of photo/video programs. From the Sonic/Roxio web site there does not appear to be any higher version then myDVD 8 Premiere available.

There is also a another set of suites available called Easy Media Creator 8 which consists of 3 packages: the EMC 8 Essentials, the EMC 8 Suite and the EMC 8 Deluxe Suite. I think each of these suites contains myDVD 8 at different levels. It may be that only EMC 8 Deluxe suite contains a myDVD 8 version that has all features enabled.

Unfortunately Sonic/Roxio has so many different packages that things are really starting to get confusing. You have the myDVD 8 Premiere package which is part of the myDVD 8 family of photo/video programs. From the Sonic/Roxio web site there does not appear to be any higher version then myDVD 8 Premiere available.

There is also a another set of suites available called Easy Media Creator 8 which consists of 3 packages: the EMC 8 Essentials, the EMC 8 Suite and the EMC 8 Deluxe Suite. I think each of these suites contains myDVD 8 at different levels. It may be that only EMC 8 Deluxe suite contains a myDVD 8 version that has all features enabled.

You are correct, Walt.

Thanks a lot everyone! So, if I buy the whole Easy Media Creator 8 it will have a slightly more complete version of MyDVD 8? I actually do need to buy a device to capture movies from my old VHS tapes and I see that the highest level of EMC 8 Deluxe includes the Dazzle capture device (which alone costs about as much alone as the whole Deluxe package.) Are you all certain that the EMC 8 Deluxe package has all of the MyDVD functions active? Anyone have experience with the Dazzle device? Would be as easy to convert the VHS tapes as their advertising indicates for a less than expert user like me?

Thanks again. I'm so glad I found this site - I have learned a lot already.

Thanks a lot everyone! So, if I buy the whole Easy Media Creator 8 it will have a slightly more complete version of MyDVD 8? I actually do need to buy a device to capture movies from my old VHS tapes and I see that the highest level of EMC 8 Deluxe includes the Dazzle capture device (which alone costs about as much alone as the whole Deluxe package.) Are you all certain that the EMC 8 Deluxe package has all of the MyDVD functions active? Anyone have experience with the Dazzle device? Would be as easy to convert the VHS tapes as their advertising indicates for a less than expert user like me?

That Dazzle card will let you capture the VHS tapes as .avi files which is much better than capturing as mpeg2 files. The files will be quite large, so your hard drive will have to have lots of room.

I am getting the Deluxe version, with the Dazzle card just for that feature, because my Hauppauge card will only let me capture as mpeg2.

here is a link to a comparison table listing the features of the EMC 8 packages:

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/emc/famil...T4JEYCQAMYWRVQQ

Here is a link to a similar table for the myDVD 8 packages:

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/mydvd/ind...T4JEYCQAMYWRVQQ

There is a Deluxe edition, either out or soon to be. Here is a workaround that someone posted that might help you. I am not sure this is what you are asking for, hope it helps.

Making text buttons Play Movie and select chapters

Believe it or not, it's simple

Open MyDVD

Select a style with text buttons only. I forget which I used, but it doesn't really matter

Add your video file.

Edit text to read 'Play Movie'

Copy this button to the clipboard

Move it slightly up or to the side

Paste the clipboard back.

Edit the text of this second button to read 'Select Scenes'

Right click on the second button and 'Edit Chapters'

You end up with two buttons that point to the same video. One plays the movie. The other button takes you to the Chapter submenu.

After doing the above, you can then edit the background and background music if you want

Archived