• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can't Capture Video

gdbroxio@garyborek.com

Question

NOTE: ALL OF MY COMMENTS BELOW STILL APPLY - HOWEVER, I WAS VERY PLEASED WITH THE REFUND SYSTEM. ONE PHONE CALL TO ROXIO SALES GOT ME AN 800 NUMBER TO ELEMENT 5 (THE COMPANY THAT ACTUALLY HANDLED MY PURCHASE FROM ROXIO) AND AN INSTANTANEOUS REFUND! EVEN THOUGH I'M NOT SATISFIED WITH THE PRODUCT I AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH ROXIO'S CUSTOMER SERVICE

Before installing Roxio EMC 8 suite, I was able to capture video from both an aver easy media card and a wintv-go card using several different programs - IZETV Lite, FreeVCR, Neo Studio 6, and WinTV2000. After installing Roxio EMC 8 I can no longer capture video from the WinTV-go card with those programs (I get a popup from zone alarm stating "the program is trying to communicate with \systemroot\system32\smss.exe by opening its process" and then the program shuts down. When I try to capture with EMC the roxio media import screen appears for a second and then disappears. If I uninstall Roxio EMC 8 Suite, all my other programs work fine again. (And none of these problems existed with Roxio EMC 6 installed). Looking up "can't capture" on the roxio support site comes up with this bit of advice:

"If you are unable to capture Video in the Roxio Capture utility, capture quality is poor or capture device is not recognized, it could be because some capture devices are specifically designed to work with the bundled software. Try capturing into another program or the software provided with your capture device and save the file as an .mpg or .avi. You can then import your files into Media Manager or use them in VideoWave"

WHAT! USE ANOTHER PROGRAM TO DO WHAT ROXIO IS SUPPOSED TO DO! THEN WHY BUY ROXIO!!! (and I can't use my other software to capture software as long as roxio is installed!!!)

So here is what I'm going to do - I'm going to uninstall Roxio EMC 8 Suite, return it for a refund, go back to using my other software and purchase some DVD burning software that actually works (from neo or nero or some other company with a real support program.) And I'm going to post this information at Epinion, Amazon, Dealtime. and Pricegrabber in hopes of helping other people to avoid the frustration I've been put through with this software.

6 answers to this question

Before installing Roxio EMC 8 suite, I was able to capture video from both an aver easy media card and a wintv-go card using several different programs - IZETV Lite, FreeVCR, Neo Studio 6, and WinTV2000. After installing Roxio EMC 8 I can no longer capture video from the WinTV-go card with those programs (I get a popup from zone alarm stating "the program is trying to communicate with \systemroot\system32\smss.exe by opening its process" and then the program shuts down. When I try to capture with EMC the roxio media import screen appears for a second and then disappears. If I uninstall Roxio EMC 8 Suite, all my other programs work fine again. (And none of these problems existed with Roxio EMC 6 installed). Looking up "can't capture" on the roxio support site comes up with this bit of advice:

"If you are unable to capture Video in the Roxio Capture utility, capture quality is poor or capture device is not recognized, it could be because some capture devices are specifically designed to work with the bundled software. Try capturing into another program or the software provided with your capture device and save the file as an .mpg or .avi. You can then import your files into Media Manager or use them in VideoWave"

WHAT! USE ANOTHER PROGRAM TO DO WHAT ROXIO IS SUPPOSED TO DO! THEN WHY BUY ROXIO!!! (and I can't use my other software to capture software as long as roxio is installed!!!)

So here is what I'm going to do - I'm going to uninstall Roxio EMC 8 Suite, return it for a refund, go back to using my other software and purchase some DVD burning software that actually works (from neo or nero or some other company with a real support program.) And I'm going to post this information at Epinion, Amazon, Dealtime. and Pricegrabber in hopes of helping other people to avoid the frustration I've been put through with this software.

Hmmm. Why would you think the Roxio software is supposed to capture from all capture devices? I have a great Hauppauge card, and I use the WinTV2000 software that came with it, to capture. I then take the capture files into the EMC software and create my production.

It looks like one or more of the many different capture programs that you have on your machine, is not playing nicely with EMC 8. I have no clue which one.

Hmmm. Why would you think the Roxio software is supposed to capture from all capture devices? I have a great Hauppauge card, and I use the WinTV2000 software that came with it, to capture. I then take the capture files into the EMC software and create my production.

It looks like one or more of the many different capture programs that you have on your machine, is not playing nicely with EMC 8. I have no clue which one.

Thanks for the useless reply.

Yeah, why would I expect the supposedly leading CD/DVD software to work with capture cards that freeware, shareware, and competing commercial software work with? How stupid of me.

At the Roxio web site you'll find the claim that MyDVD 8 has "Video Capture Device Support - Capture from Analog, DV, High-Definition Camcorders, and TV Tuner Cards" and that MyDVD 8 is included in Roxio EMC 8 Suite. Maybe they should also list at their site the cards they know are compatible with their product and the cards they know are incompatible.

The point is that all of the other programs work and Roxio doesn't. And my further point was about the asinine response by Roxio - in essence, they said "use another program to do what you paid Roxio to do"!!!!

Oh, and while I'm at it, if you look in Roxio help you'll see a topic entitled "How to record TV programs and watch them on your Ipod" - if you clink on that link you get the following inane advise: 1. buy a TV capture card. 2. buy a software program that lets you time record from the TV card because Roxio EMC does not have a timer record feature. 3. Buy an Ipod and transfer the files you recorded with the other software to your Ipod. Hey, why not add a section "How to watch DVD's while traveling in your car: 1. buy a car. 2. buy a portable DVD player. 3. Rent a DVD and put it in the portable DVD player, because Roxio does not come with a car, a portable dvd player, or DVD's." or... "How to pick up women..."....lol....those boys at roxio sure have a sense of humor.

.those boys at roxio sure have a sense of humor.

too bad you don't

I've been using computers 30 years. Analog capture devices still do not live up to purchaser's expectations. The drivers are very poorly written and some are indeed propietary that use patented hardware. THE CARD MANUFACTURER is responsible for writing GOOD drivers. If they are not Microsoft certified drivers, then alot of software will not work correctly with that card. You get what you pay for when buying cheap hardware. My sister had a Avermedia card and I told her to throw it in the trash.

If you want a good analog capture device, make sure it is WinHEC and has Microsoft certified drivers. Unfortunately, stuff like this isn't on the outside of the box.

too bad you don't

I've been using computers 30 years. Analog capture devices still do not live up to purchaser's expectations. The drivers are very poorly written and some are indeed propietary that use patented hardware. THE CARD MANUFACTURER is responsible for writing GOOD drivers. If they are not Microsoft certified drivers, then alot of software will not work correctly with that card. You get what you pay for when buying cheap hardware. My sister had a Avermedia card and I told her to throw it in the trash.

If you want a good analog capture device, make sure it is WinHEC and has Microsoft certified drivers. Unfortunately, stuff like this isn't on the outside of the box.

Ah..perhaps you didn't read my post - my Avermedia and WinTV card work fine with freeware, shareware, and other commercial software products and have done so for more than 4 years now - the problem is not the capture cards or the other software products - they all work fine - the problem is Roxio EMC 8. I'd throw it in the trash but it cost $99. The only good thing I can say about it is that it comes with a 30-day refund.

And, as you can see from the edited note to my original post, I am very pleased with Roxio customer service and their refund system. However, while talking to customer service I was told that an "internal document" states that the WinTV-go capture card will not work with Roxio EMC 8. OK - but why is that not posted at the roxio web site - why is that just an "internal document" - had it been posted I might never have purchased EMC 8 (or I might have investigated purchasing a compatible card with EMC 8), instead of going through all of the aggravtion.

Archived