• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Controlling How Items On A Menu Are Selected

georgeb

Question

Hello again

I have 10 items on the main MyDVD menu. I tried having them in one column but it warned me about overlap so I put them into two columns, items 1 to 5 1n the left column, 6 to 10 in the right column. When I start, item 1 is corrctly the default. I use the down control, it goes to item 2, then item 3, which is correct. However when item 3 is highlighted and I use the down button, it jumps to item 9. After the next down arrow it jumps to item 6.

Is there any control over this or is it the way I added the movies?

Thanks

George

8 answers to this question

Also the "button" is larger than what you see so you may still get an overlap that you may not see.

10 items on one page is a lot, you may want to put some on one page and some on another to prevent frustration when you (or others) are navigating the menu.

Thanks everybody for all your help. After clearing everything, re-adding the movies in the order I wanted them, I was able to move the items so all 10 were in one column on the left side (they just managed to fit without overlapping) and the down button on the remote then worked as it should. I agree that it would be a good idea to separate them next time but these were just 15 minute clips and worked well in this case.

Am very grateful.

George

Thanks everybody for all your help. After clearing everything, re-adding the movies in the order I wanted them, I was able to move the items so all 10 were in one column on the left side (they just managed to fit without overlapping) and the down button on the remote then worked as it should. I agree that it would be a good idea to separate them next time but these were just 15 minute clips and worked well in this case.

Am very grateful.

George

Did you get all 10 items within the Safe Zone? Are all 10 clips 15 minutes long? That would be 2.5 hour video which does not fit on a DVD unles very highly compressed with poor quality most likely.

Hello again

I have 10 items on the main MyDVD menu. I tried having them in one column but it warned me about overlap so I put them into two columns, items 1 to 5 1n the left column, 6 to 10 in the right column. When I start, item 1 is corrctly the default. I use the down control, it goes to item 2, then item 3, which is correct. However when item 3 is highlighted and I use the down button, it jumps to item 9. After the next down arrow it jumps to item 6.

Is there any control over this or is it the way I added the movies?

Thanks

George

They should play in the order that you brought them in.

Did you get all 10 items within the Safe Zone? Are all 10 clips 15 minutes long? That would be 2.5 hour video which does not fit on a DVD unles very highly compressed with poor quality most likely.

I am an amateur at this so haven't explored what the Safe Zone is. I thought that was something to do with protecting naughty content from kids.

2.5 hours is fine considering I got these clips from a video tape originally so am happy with quality. One time it did warn me about overlapping buttons but this time I placed the items as far apart as possible down the left side so all is fine.

I am an amateur at this so haven't explored what the Safe Zone is. I thought that was something to do with protecting naughty content from kids.

2.5 hours is fine considering I got these clips from a video tape originally so am happy with quality. One time it did warn me about overlapping buttons but this time I placed the items as far apart as possible down the left side so all is fine.

I don't think there is such a thing as a Safe Zone for naughty kids :rolleyes:

The image below is what we mean when we talk about a video Safe Zone.

2.5 hours is lot of video to fit on a standard DVD considering that a normal 4.7GB DVD will only hold about 60 minutes of video at best quality. I would break up the project into 2 DVDs with 5 clips on each creating 1.25 hours DVDs and you will have much better quality. If you are starting from VHS tape quality and squeezing it to 2.5 hours, quality will suffer.

post-103-1210800870.jpg

Read about TV safe zone here. If you play that DVD on a standard player and TV you may not see all the buttons. What applies to images also applies to the menu (image).

Sorry Walt, I was typing when you posted.

Also the "button" is larger than what you see so you may still get an overlap that you may not see.

10 items on one page is a lot, you may want to put some on one page and some on another to prevent frustration when you (or others) are navigating the menu.

Archived