Black Spots After Burning

terrimcdaniels

Question

I am burning a DVD with over 500 photos. It works well until later in the project when it will have black periods and then come back with the photos. I have burned 2x and the errors are in about the same spots but not exactly. My problem is that it takes 3 hours to burn and I'm running out of time as the project is due with 50 copies by Sunday. Any help?

Terri

15 answers to this question

I am burning a DVD with over 500 photos. It works well until later in the project when it will have black periods and then come back with the photos. I have burned 2x and the errors are in about the same spots but not exactly. My problem is that it takes 3 hours to burn and I'm running out of time as the project is due with 50 copies by Sunday. Any help?

Terri

You will have to give some more information. What program did you use to create the slideshow.?The problem you describe often seems to occur with the Slideshow Wizard or assistant. People have much more success when they use Videowave to create the slideshow and then use myDVD to create menus, etc and do the burn.

As to the length of time for the rendering and the burn that depends on the timelength of your slideshow and your system. You can figure on about 2x the timelength of your slideshow as rough estimate.

If you want to make multiple copies, it is recommended to burn to an iso image file and then use DiscCopier to burn to DVD. That way you will have to render only once which is really what takes the time. The actual burn to DVD should be fairly quick from 10 to 30 minutes depending on the speed of your burner.

You will have to give some more information. What program did you use to create the slideshow.?The problem you describe often seems to occur with the Slideshow Wizard or assistant. People have much more success when they use Videowave to create the slideshow and then use myDVD to create menus, etc and do the burn.

As to the length of time for the rendering and the burn that depends on the timelength of your slideshow and your system. You can figure on about 2x the timelength of your slideshow as rough estimate.

If you want to make multiple copies, it is recommended to burn to an iso image file and then use DiscCopier to burn to DVD. That way you will have to render only once which is really what takes the time. The actual burn to DVD should be fairly quick from 10 to 30 minutes depending on the speed of your burner.

I am creating the show and burning in My DVD. I did this last year with no problems. It is for a graduation celebration for our high school seniors. I was wondering if it could be my DVDs. I have used this batch for other projects but none were as big as this one so perhaps it didn't encompass the area with the problems. Is that possible? I am currently trying it again with a different container of DVDs. Thanks so much for your input! I'm starting to panic!

Terri

I am creating the show and burning in My DVD. I did this last year with no problems. It is for a graduation celebration for our high school seniors. I was wondering if it could be my DVDs. I have used this batch for other projects but none were as big as this one so perhaps it didn't encompass the area with the problems. Is that possible? I am currently trying it again with a different container of DVDs. Thanks so much for your input! I'm starting to panic!

Terri

When do you see the "spots" when playing on a stand-alone DVD or through your burner in your system? Poor quality DVDs can certainly have playback problems and not every DVD player will play your type of DVD. So you could still have lots of problems even if the DVD plays sucessfully on your player. You should find out what kind of DVDs your "clients" can play

When do you see the "spots" when playing on a stand-alone DVD or through your burner in your system? Poor quality DVDs can certainly have playback problems and not every DVD player will play your type of DVD. So you could still have lots of problems even if the DVD plays sucessfully on your player. You should find out what kind of DVDs your "clients" can play

The black spots are showing when I play on my dvd player as well as on my computer. I am using DVD-R as I have learned that more people can play those than anything else. I don't believe the type of DVD is the problem since it is showing up for most of the DVD. I am hopeful that using a different batch of DVDs will help. I am using Memorex which I know alot of people don't like but I have never had problems with them before and they are printable. They are the only printable ones I can get locally.

Terri

In XP click start, all programs, Roxio EMC 9, tools, DVDInfo Pro. Place the bad disc in the drive, click the icon at top of DVDInfo Pro with the magnifying glass, this checks the disc 'CRC Read Error Test' see if it shows errors on the disc. If not, the black spots have to be a software/video card problem.

cd

In XP click start, all programs, Roxio EMC 9, tools, DVDInfo Pro. Place the bad disc in the drive, click the icon at top of DVDInfo Pro with the magnifying glass, this checks the disc 'CRC Read Error Test' see if it shows errors on the disc. If not, the black spots have to be a software/video card problem.

cd

It is almost done burning again. I have watched it encode and there were no black spots in the areas I have had that problem. I will definitely try this when it gets done. Can I use your method to test all my dvds before I burn them to not waste time using bad discs? I certainly don't have time to watch all 50 to make sure they are all right and yet hate to hand out dvds that may not be good.

cd

I don't see DVDInfo Pro under tools. <_< I'm looking at my other computer which is VISTA. I don't want to touch my XP until it's done burning. Does it make a difference that it is VISTA?

Can I use your method to test all my dvds before I burn them to not waste time using bad discs?

No, only after burning to the disc.

A Bought Retail version of Roxio EMC V 9 in Vista or XP should have DVDInfo Pro. It was removed in version 10 tho.

cd

A Bought Retail version of Roxio EMC V 9 in Vista or XP should have DVDInfo Pro. It was removed in version 10 tho.

cd

I bought the retail version of EMC 9 but did update it when I put it on my VISTA computer so perhaps that is why. We will hope that it is on my XP machine. At least I can check each one after I burn it to make sure it is OK before I hand them out. Thanks for the suggestion!

I think I went to Roxio Creator Home and checked for updates. It's been a while though so not sure. I did what I said just now and it said I am current.

If you click start, all programs, What # is listed behind the Roxio Easy Media Creator ( ? ) ?

cd

If you click start, all programs, What # is listed behind the Roxio Easy Media Creator ( ? ) ?

cd

It is #9 on my VISTA computer and I have 8 on my XP. I just successfully burned a copy of this show. I had tried a different stack of DVDs so that must be the problem. I tried the check system that was suggested but it showed the "bad" DVD that had the black spots was all good so I don't know that I will trust it to tell me if there are any problems with the other copies of this DVD that I need to make. I'm going to try copying one onto a DVD from the "bad" stack just to see if it gives me the black spaces or not. If so, I'll know for sure that it is the DVD. This has been frustrating but also very educational!!! Thanks for everyone advice!!!

cd

The DVDInfo Pro is so well hidden but it is there in EMC10.

post-114-1210816410.jpg

Sorry, but DVD Info Pro is not included in EMC 10. See post #17 on

this topic which discusses this issue pretty fully.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=32500

cd

Archived