• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Questions On Burning Avchd .mts Dvds On 9.0.2

pangpang77

Question

My current setup:

iMac 20" 2.4

PS3

Canon HF10 (SD card HD camcorder that saves files in .mts)

I was successful in creating a standard DVD with the .mts files created from my HF10 camcorder. I dragged the files from my hard drive (copied from the SD card) into Toast 9. I selected Blu-ray as the format (automatically it sets the codec to MP4 AVC). I set the video coversion to custom and raised the size from 16 MB/s to 17 MB/s (HF10's highest bit rate). I selected the disc type on the lower-right hand corner to DVD and clicked Record. The disc was created in about 10-15 minutes (about 20 minutes of footage). I played it in the PS3 and the individual videos are pretty amazing, as good as playing them directly off of the hard drive of the PS3, or directly off of the SD card through the PS3.

Two observations:

1) There's a delay between the files as they play, which is a bit annoying. When playing off of the SD card through the PS3, there is no such delay, very smooth transitions, like a good movie should be. Is there a way to remove this delay?

2) Toast 9 creates each .mts file as a chapter. Is there a way to group multiple .mts files into one chapter? This would allow the grouping of a series of movie files that pertain to an event? Either that, or is there a way to combine .mts files into one larger .mts file? Either method would allow the chapters to be groupings of scenes that would make the DVD more user-friendly.

If these two issues are resolved, I think the Toast 9 offers an exceptional way of burning and playing AVCHD movies through a Blu-Ray player. I'll be really happy if these two issues are solvable.

Anyone know how to fix these?

3 answers to this question

1) I suspect that this has to do with the data rate coming from a DVD, it may just not be fast enough.

2) Toast does not currently have this ability but you may be able to find some 3rd party editors that are able to combine the separate files into one file/clip.

1) Are there different data rates for DVDs, or will this be an issue in general with all DVDs?

2) I think the software that came with the Camcorder, Pixela Imagemixer has this feature. Only issue, it's a Windows product. I'll try to run it through VMWare Fusion on Vista on my Mac.

1) Are there different data rates for DVDs, or will this be an issue in general with all DVDs?

2) I think the software that came with the Camcorder, Pixela Imagemixer has this feature. Only issue, it's a Windows product. I'll try to run it through VMWare Fusion on Vista on my Mac.

I was able to combine .mts files using Pixela Imagemixer 3 by selecting the Canon HF10 .mts files and using the Movie Edit option. The program then combines the different files into 1 .m2ts file. I could then load this into Toast 9 Titanium as 1 chapter. This way, instead of having 100 individual .mts files/Toast 9 chapters, I was able to combine those 100 files to 6 larger files/chapters in the DVD. Much better useability. It would be great for Toast 9 to have this option (combine .mts files) for HDD and flash based AVCHD camcorder users.

I had to run Pixela Imagemixer 3 (Windows-only) and combine the files using VMWare Fusion with Vista installed and pass the files back and forth from OS X and Vista.

This did help me overcome Sony's PS3 shortcoming of not having a Video Playlist when files are stored in the Hard Drive. They only played individually. This allows .mts files to be grouped into larger .m2ts "playlist" files for more user-friendly playback. This has been an exciting two days in resolving these issues.

Archived