• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Making A Data Cd Or Dvd

TerryAlta

Question

I am new to this. I need to make a data cd or dvd that I can take with me and work with it on another computer. Then come back and update the file on my home computer. Just when I think I have mastered the process, I find that the file on my dvd is read-only. No good to me, because I need to add information to it.

I find the instructions that came with the product are too sketchy; they assume I know a lot more than I do about working with CDs and DVDs.

Is there anywhere I can find information that teaches me how to get what I want with Creator 10?

3 answers to this question

What you need to understand is you will never update a file you burn to a disc.Once data is burned it is permanantly fixed to the disc.It can only ever be read only.That is the nature of writing to optical media.

Even if you use an RW disc you can't erase individual data just the whole disc.

If you used session discs (like Steve pointed out) you could copy the original file to your hard drive,edit it and then burn it back to the disc in another session.

I am new to this. I need to make a data cd or dvd that I can take with me and work with it on another computer. Then come back and update the file on my home computer. Just when I think I have mastered the process, I find that the file on my dvd is read-only. No good to me, because I need to add information to it.

I find the instructions that came with the product are too sketchy; they assume I know a lot more than I do about working with CDs and DVDs.

Is there anywhere I can find information that teaches me how to get what I want with Creator 10?

Have you burned your project onto a DVD-RW?

What kind of files are you putting on the disc? What application did you use?

You can make a multi-session data disc using Creator Classic and add files later but that does not seem to be what you want to do.

What program (A word processor, a presentation program, a data handling program like Access or other) will you use to edit the data? That's where you should be looking to sync your disc on the two computers.

Archived