Aperture Library Does Not Show In Media Browser

jbpittman

Question

Just purchased Toast 9.0.2. When I open the Media Browser window all the options are there except my Aperture Library. It shows up in all the other applications that support the media browser. I repaired permission, trashed both preference files, deleted system and user caches. I even created a new user and still could not get the Aperture Library to show in the Media Browser. I am using Mac OSX 10.5.2, and Aperture 2.1. Any suggestions or is anyone else having this problem.

5 answers to this question

I had this problem like yours with my [moved, not default named] iPhoto Library and solved it. I posted this BACK to Roxio support after getting a LAME answer from them. As they did not post the answer here's something else for you to try....

If Aperture is following the same 'iPhoto 7 lib as a package' thing then in short try making an alias with the _default name_ of the Aperture Library in ~/Photos/ .. this is what I had to do, as Toast does not pick up that the 'package' in ~/Photos/ is an iPhoto Library.

My answer back to Support. Obviously not happy with their 'just put the iPhoto Library back blah blah answer:

Re; Unacceptable answer, answer FOUND. Pls update your records and help the Aperture guy in the forums...

That is NOT an acceptable answer. If I have 10 gigs of pictures in the iPhoto the **LAST** place I want pics is in my /User/Pictures/ directory on a MacBook. With FileVault on.

Now for the REAL answer. Please regress and inform the other users!!

1/ [optional] Apple's 'default name' for the iPhoto Library package is [no quotes] "iPhoto Library" ... you can rename the package if you want but...

2/ [you MUST] Make an alias with the *same exact name* to the ~/Photos/ directory.

Once you do this, Toast 9's image browser works FINE. Basically Apple gave us the ability to pick an arbitrary name for the iPhoto Library
[i used iPhotoLib]
and for Toast 9 this is a bad idea. Toast *looks* for 'iPhoto Library' in the ~/Photos/ directory.

Now please regress this and update your info files.

-Leo M

Which they did not.

Reading back on your problem, is your Aperture Library named with the 'default name'? Sorry, I don't own Aperture [yet].

Hope this helps you out... I've been holding off on Aperture...

I tried to test this out so that we could write a KB article based on the info, but I couldn't even get iPhoto to work once I moved the library. Here is what I tried.

1) Created an alias of the iphoto library

2) Copied the iphoto library to my music folder

3) renamed the alias by removing the word alias from the name. I left it in my pictures folder

4) Tried to launch iphoto and it said my iphoto library was missing.

I didn't bother testing with Toast since iphoto didn't work that way anyway.

Mine shows the Aperture library within the Photos section of the Media Browser. However, it only accesses a few of the photos. All of the Aperture albums are present but Toast thinks they have no images in them, except for a couple albums that have maybe 1 or 2 of the images. I've checked on two different Macs, one in which I keep the originals inside the Aperture Library although the Library is not in the Pictures folder, and one where I have kept the originals in their own folders so they aren't copied into the Aperture Library.

Is your Aperture Library in its default location in your Pictures folder and do you copy the originals into the Library when importing?

Mine shows the Aperture library within the Photos section of the Media Browser. However, it only accesses a few of the photos. All of the Aperture albums are present but Toast thinks they have no images in them, except for a couple albums that have maybe 1 or 2 of the images. I've checked on two different Macs, one in which I keep the originals inside the Aperture Library although the Library is not in the Pictures folder, and one where I have kept the originals in their own folders so they aren't copied into the Aperture Library.

Is your Aperture Library in its default location in your Pictures folder and do you copy the originals into the Library when importing?

Yes, my Aperture Library is in its default location and the images are in the library. It simply doesn't not show up anywhere in the Toast Media Browser, but works fine in all other apps.

Yes, my Aperture Library is in its default location and the images are in the library. It simply doesn't not show up anywhere in the Toast Media Browser, but works fine in all other apps.

That's odd that it doesn't show at all on your Mac and that it shows my Aperture albums but not the photos on my two Macs.

When I choose Photos with the top button in the Media Browser and then click on the button just below Photos the browser starts with a list of what's in iPhoto and is followed by what's in Aperture. There is one heading that's titled Aperture. Try trashing your Toast plist and prefs files from your User>Library>Preferences folder. I don't know what else to suggest.

Just purchased Toast 9.0.2. When I open the Media Browser window all the options are there except my Aperture Library. It shows up in all the other applications that support the media browser. I repaired permission, trashed both preference files, deleted system and user caches. I even created a new user and still could not get the Aperture Library to show in the Media Browser. I am using Mac OSX 10.5.2, and Aperture 2.1. Any suggestions or is anyone else having this problem.

I had this problem like yours with my [moved, not default named] iPhoto Library and solved it. I posted this BACK to Roxio support after getting a LAME answer from them. As they did not post the answer here's something else for you to try....

If Aperture is following the same 'iPhoto 7 lib as a package' thing then in short try making an alias with the _default name_ of the Aperture Library in ~/Photos/ .. this is what I had to do, as Toast does not pick up that the 'package' in ~/Photos/ is an iPhoto Library.

My answer back to Support. Obviously not happy with their 'just put the iPhoto Library back blah blah answer:

Re; Unacceptable answer, answer FOUND. Pls update your records and help the Aperture guy in the forums...

That is NOT an acceptable answer. If I have 10 gigs of pictures in the iPhoto the **LAST** place I want pics is in my /User/Pictures/ directory on a MacBook. With FileVault on.

Now for the REAL answer. Please regress and inform the other users!!

1/ [optional] Apple's 'default name' for the iPhoto Library package is [no quotes] "iPhoto Library" ... you can rename the package if you want but...

2/ [you MUST] Make an alias with the *same exact name* to the ~/Photos/ directory.

Once you do this, Toast 9's image browser works FINE. Basically Apple gave us the ability to pick an arbitrary name for the iPhoto Library
[i used iPhotoLib]
and for Toast 9 this is a bad idea. Toast *looks* for 'iPhoto Library' in the ~/Photos/ directory.

Now please regress this and update your info files.

-Leo M

Which they did not.

Reading back on your problem, is your Aperture Library named with the 'default name'? Sorry, I don't own Aperture [yet].

Hope this helps you out... I've been holding off on Aperture...

Archived