• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc 10 Installation/upgrade From Emc9

HomeSpun

Question

I've always liked the Easy CD/Media products but now I'm absolutely disappointed.

I've installed EMC 10 only to find that EMC 9 still seems to be installed and now I have an extremely slow computer.

This is unbelievable.

Now I have to follow a complicated remove procedure because Roxio didn't handle the installation properly!

The Roxio program identification in the Add/Remove is a joke. I've installed 1 package which results in too many poorly labeled entries. How about 1 Entry called EMC 10. If you need more entries, please prefix them with EMC 10 - SubComponent.

I've going to follow the uninstall procedure. I'm sorry to say that I will be thinking twice before re-installing this product.

5 answers to this question

I've always liked the Easy CD/Media products but now I'm absolutely disappointed.

I've installed EMC 10 only to find that EMC 9 still seems to be installed and now I have an extremely slow computer.

This is unbelievable.

Now I have to follow a complicated remove procedure because Roxio didn't handle the installation properly!

The Roxio program identification in the Add/Remove is a joke. I've installed 1 package which results in too many poorly labeled entries. How about 1 Entry called EMC 10. If you need more entries, please prefix them with EMC 10 - SubComponent.

I've going to follow the uninstall procedure. I'm sorry to say that I will be thinking twice before re-installing this product.

I have also installed EMC 10 (leaving version 9 on the computer - deliberately). At first I thought it had disabled my computer, but I eventually got into it to discovered that it had set itself up to watch My Computer and ALL sub-folders AND to do this at start-up. This caused the boot up to take ages and ages and ages. Once this was fixed the boot up and opening the program were normal again.

Perhaps Roxio ought to have this feature turned off as default on installation so that one can use it or not as desired.

Derek Shaw

This is unbelievable.

I don't ever recall any of the Easy Media Creator products removing older versions. In fact, there are some on this forum that have v7, 8, 9 & 10 installed. It might be the Roxwatchtray that is slowing things down.

It would be helpful when posting here to list your computer specs.

We had to do this for Windows Vista compliance. Your suggestion is a good one though.

There are valid reasons why an older version is left on a PC by the new version, EMC is not the only one that does this.

1) Quite often when a new version is not backward compatible with files from previous versions, the previous version must be removed by the user if and when the user no longer needs the the previous version for anything. EMC 10 is not backward compatiable with previous EMC versions' projects.

2) Even when the new version is backward compatible, the new version will often allow the user the option removing or retaining the previous version (due to learning curve?)

3) If memory serves me correctly, I believe somewhere in these forums someone stated the individual module removal was a requirement for Vista certification. Not too sure if this is valid or not. Microsoft's own Office 2007 Professional has only one uninstall listing in Vista's control panel uninstall module. Just speculating here but having recently retired as a senior software engineer and based on that experience, it may be better to allow for individual module un-installs especially when custom installation options were available (which is available in EMC), this allows the user to remove module(s) the user has found to be not needed once the application has been used a while in order to free up disk space or whatever reason.

As far as the slowness, it might be related to the media manager searching for media on the machine. Not sure of the name of the module as I turned it off as soon as I opened EMC 10 the first time since it is a PITA and I am not on a machine right now with EMC 10. Check your system tray to see if you have an icon for such a module, if so go to that module and in the options, set it to not run at startup. If this is what is causing the slowness, other posts indicates the slowness goes away once it completes the initial run through.

Edit: Whoops, I should have read Paul's response closer, Roxiowatchtray is what I meant and did not notice he had already suggested that.

Edit2: If you re-install be sure and follow the clean install procedures exactly. Not sure since never had more than one version at a time on a machine, but the clean install should get rid of both versions, new and old.

Archived