Capturing 16:9 Video Source

malatekid

Question

I videotaped a school musical play using Sony DCRVX2000 (a digital camcorder) in a 16:9 mode.

How do I maintain that mode when I author my dvd?

My PC does not have a firewire and I only have the HP DC5000 movie writer equipment to capture the video to PC. This equipment connects only to USB and uses composite RCA cables and S-video.

1) Will this allow me to retain the same 16:9 ratio when I do my video production?

2) How about the Dazzle DVC 90 adapter (that comes with the EMC8 Deluxe Suite), does capturing through this adapter retain the 16:9 format of the source?

Thanks in advance for any help.

8 answers to this question

You will have much better success purchasing a Firewire add-in card. I've seen them for around $20 on sale. Shop around at Staples, Office Depot, CompUSA and/or even Walmart. you will also need to purchase a firewire cable.

That's all I need (Fireqire add-in card and cable)? I hope this is easy to install.

Thank you for the suggestion. Much appreciated.

That's all I need (Fireqire add-in card and cable)? I hope this is easy to install.

Thank you for the suggestion. Much appreciated.

They just snap into a PCI slot, I think. Don't buy a cheap firewire cable. From what I understand, if you buy cheap, you buy twice, because the cheap ones don't work properly.

Just remove the case cover. Near the PCI slot there should be only one screw to remove. Gently push the PCI card into the slot and screw it down. Put back case. Windows should automatically recognize the card and install the drivers.

From there, plug the cable into the computer. Plug the other end into the camcorder. Turn the camcorder to the VCR setting for playback and Windows should automatically recognize that, too.

You're then ready to capture. Media Import will capture 16:9 fine. When you open Videowave and MyDVD, make sure you change the project to widescreen.

Just remove the case cover. Near the PCI slot there should be only one screw to remove. Gently push the PCI card into the slot and screw it down. Put back case. Windows should automatically recognize the card and install the drivers.

From there, plug the cable into the computer. Plug the other end into the camcorder. Turn the camcorder to the VCR setting for playback and Windows should automatically recognize that, too.

You're then ready to capture. Media Import will capture 16:9 fine. When you open Videowave and MyDVD, make sure you change the project to widescreen.

Thank you much. I hope my Dell GX280 has spare PCI slot.

According to Dell support, the Optiplex GX280:

Slots

bullet.gifSmall Mini Tower (SMT) Chassis: Three 4.2" high PCI (length:& three 11" ), One PCIe x16 full height graphics, One PCI x1 full height

bullet.gifSmall Desktop (SD) Chassis: Two half length 4.2" high PCI, 1 low-profile PCIe x16 graphics

bullet.gifSmall Form Factor (SF) Chassis: 1 low-profile PCI, 1 low-profile PCIe x16 graphics

Which chassis do you have? Only one of the above will apply.

According to Dell support, the Optiplex GX280:

Slots

bullet.gifSmall Mini Tower (SMT) Chassis: Three 4.2" high PCI (length:& three 11" ), One PCIe x16 full height graphics, One PCI x1 full height

bullet.gifSmall Desktop (SD) Chassis: Two half length 4.2" high PCI, 1 low-profile PCIe x16 graphics

bullet.gifSmall Form Factor (SF) Chassis: 1 low-profile PCI, 1 low-profile PCIe x16 graphics

Which chassis do you have? Only one of the above will apply.

This one:

Small Form Factor (SF) Chassis: 1 low-profile PCI, 1 low-profile PCIe x16 graphics

So what kind of Firewire card am I looking for (I'm not knowledgeable in hardware stuff)?

Thanks.

Archived