Chapter Markers

Bradfu

Question

Heya,

I've done a search, and found a few threads. It looks like I'm in the same boat as TomfromIowa, for example. I apologize if the answer is there and I missed it, although he seems to be coming from the world of FCP.

The skinny:

Long project. First title/movie is over an hour, same with title/movie #2.

Working with #1 on timeline, and at the first dip to black, I want to add a chapter and I get the, "Can't do it, too close to another chapter, etc, etc." It does however give me a chapter 2 right next to chapter 1.

I scroll ahead about 40 minutes and add a chapter. I don't get the warning, but there is no visible marker that I added a chapter (not to mention that I don't want a marker here anyway, just testing the theory).

Any fixes on this lately? The video was squished into a HD QT movie from Avid 5.7.2. I don't have to make separate QT files for every chapter to fool DVDit into recognizing the start of the GOP, do I?

Also, sorry for the noob question: shouldn't the playlist be what's on the timeline? "Titles" are what we're actually using for the body of the film, no? I added everything to the playlist, but............no help really.

Thanks guys. Thank god my client is patient.

6 answers to this question

the problem that Tom in Iowa was having was with legal video that comes out of compressor and does not have a start time of 00:00:00:00. When he reset the timestamps everything worked just fine. could be the same with your video.

Did you try to run the project with your QT? If you did, and it transcodes to MPEG-2, you should be able to grab that MPEG-2 from the temp folder, put it on your desktop, import it into DVDit and put chapter points into that timeline at every iFrame that has been set in the transcode.

I've tried a QT Ref file, and a QT movie. Both are having the same issues. My only frames of reference is from Sonic Reel, and Adobe Encore. In previous projects, I would use Sorenson to squeeze down, then import into the project.

However, I have Sorenson Squeeze........2? (It's from 2004), and it can't handle HD, which is why I rushed to buy DVDit HD, and it's why I'm doing a QT Ref file to preserve HD footage. I gotta be missing a step somewhere, right? I'd gladly admit operator error at this point.

SS: Does the temp folder differ from the other folders? The Mpeg 2 file specs are still the same regardless of the folder, right?

help..............sinking fast..........................

you will find the temp folder location in the File > Preferences > File control tab. in the location specified, in a folder called project you will find the transcodes. put your QT reference file on a timeline, create a Blu-ray volume, DVDit will do its transcoding and you will find the transcoded audio and video in the folder I referenced.

By the way, I have never seen a QT or QT reference that could not include chapters...not sure where your issue. lies. How are you adding chapter points? You should be able to do it by scrubbing the timeline and pressing insert on your keyboard...or by playing the timeline in the preview window and pressing insert when you want a chapter point. what happens when you do that?

scott

you will find the temp folder location in the File > Preferences > File control tab. in the location specified, in a folder called project you will find the transcodes. put your QT reference file on a timeline, create a Blu-ray volume, DVDit will do its transcoding and you will find the transcoded audio and video in the folder I referenced.

By the way, I have never seen a QT or QT reference that could not include chapters...not sure where your issue. lies. How are you adding chapter points? You should be able to do it by scrubbing the timeline and pressing insert on your keyboard...or by playing the timeline in the preview window and pressing insert when you want a chapter point. what happens when you do that?

scott

I'll look for that and give it a go.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound ungrateful for the tip, but I can't help but wonder: is this procedure SOP, or just a work-around to my situation? I would have thought that it was normal to import media that was either a QT Ref, or a QT Movie. Since a QT movie is already transcoded, should I not be using that? I had troubles with huge QT ref files earlier--the whole app would move incredibly sluggishly, almost to the point of locking up the system, which is why I started using QT movies.

As for the second part of your question, I can't put chapter markers where I want to. Chapter 1 comes default at the head of the timeline, and I want Chap.2 to go at the first dip to black at 00:02:09:00. When I try to add, I get the pop-up warning, "Can't insert chapter point here because of proximity of another chapter point" (that's not an exact quote, but the idea).

However, a Chap.2 tab is created, but about 5 seconds away from the original Chap.1 tab.

I scroll forward randomly (10, 20, 40 minutes, you name it), and although I don't get the pop-up warning when I add a chapter, there is no visible marker on the timeline. To see if the chapter was actually added, I right click on the text of either Chap.1 or 2, and from the drop down menu, I see there is a "go to Chapter 1-10" option. I hover the mouse over that and I see Chap. 1 and 2, but no 3, 4, etc., so I would guess that new markers aren't taking hold.

I'm thinking of removing DVDit from my system entirely and re-downloading it. I'll call tech assist tomorrow (Monday), and if nothing works...............well, thanks for your time, I guess I'll try my best to get a refund, although I'd like to crack this mystery and use this program.

Maybe I'll record a video of what I'm doing and post, but I can't put it any more plainly than my wording above.

Thanks SS,

-b

I'll look for that and give it a go.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound ungrateful for the tip, but I can't help but wonder: is this procedure SOP, or just a work-around to my situation? I would have thought that it was normal to import media that was either a QT Ref, or a QT Movie. Since a QT movie is already transcoded, should I not be using that? I had troubles with huge QT ref files earlier--the whole app would move incredibly sluggishly, almost to the point of locking up the system, which is why I started using QT movies.

As for the second part of your question, I can't put chapter markers where I want to. Chapter 1 comes default at the head of the timeline, and I want Chap.2 to go at the first dip to black at 00:02:09:00. When I try to add, I get the pop-up warning, "Can't insert chapter point here because of proximity of another chapter point" (that's not an exact quote, but the idea).

However, a Chap.2 tab is created, but about 5 seconds away from the original Chap.1 tab.

I scroll forward randomly (10, 20, 40 minutes, you name it), and although I don't get the pop-up warning when I add a chapter, there is no visible marker on the timeline. To see if the chapter was actually added, I right click on the text of either Chap.1 or 2, and from the drop down menu, I see there is a "go to Chapter 1-10" option. I hover the mouse over that and I see Chap. 1 and 2, but no 3, 4, etc., so I would guess that new markers aren't taking hold.

I'm thinking of removing DVDit from my system entirely and re-downloading it. I'll call tech assist tomorrow (Monday), and if nothing works...............well, thanks for your time, I guess I'll try my best to get a refund, although I'd like to crack this mystery and use this program.

Maybe I'll record a video of what I'm doing and post, but I can't put it any more plainly than my wording above.

Thanks SS,

-b

Okay, I restarted everything from scratch.

Imported an hour long QT Ref file, and I can now make chapter marks, but the system moves slower than an old Commodore 64. I read somewhere that this program was a hog, but I'm running a gig of RAM and two 3 gig Xeons. It's painful really.

I can't simulate or preview with sound. If I play the timeline, the control track/TC moves, but the picture doesn't budge. As a workaround, I went to the QT Movie file project (the one where making chapters still doesn't work, but I can scrub/scroll/preview), and I marked down all the dips to black that I wanted chapters to start at. In the QT Ref project I type in the TC number, hit the gray chapter marker, and it snaps to that spot. I then add a chapter, but it's ridiculous. The system locks up for about 40 seconds before I can do anything. Even then I'm not making the chapters exactly where I want them. I typed in 00:05:27:00 for example, and DVDit made the chapter at 00:05:25:00 and wouldn't let me change it. Strange.

Anyway, at least I'm a little closer, but it's going to be a long night with the way this is moving.

Are my system specs to blame? 1 gig of RAM isn't enough? Is it a bitrate problem perhaps?

-b

I am using DVDit Pro HD with files exported from a Mac using Compressor (part of Visual Studio 2).

I'm not having "too" much trouble with the software.

It sounds like the files you are using are not compatible with DVDit Pro HD.

I would suggest you experiment with shorter video clips until you get something to work.

It took me quite a while to get the "right" settings for compressor.

the problem that Tom in Iowa was having was with legal video that comes out of compressor and does not have a start time of 00:00:00:00. When he reset the timestamps everything worked just fine. could be the same with your video.

Did you try to run the project with your QT? If you did, and it transcodes to MPEG-2, you should be able to grab that MPEG-2 from the temp folder, put it on your desktop, import it into DVDit and put chapter points into that timeline at every iFrame that has been set in the transcode.

Archived