• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Unspecified Error [0x80004005]

seryat

Question

After having to install Roxio twice to get a clean install (on a now newly installed XP system with no other software running), trying to understand several error messages, tech support that claims my system is old (but more than meets the requirements stated on the software box) and now having password problems logging in to this discussion forum, I'm a little frustrated with Roxio.

Anyway...

I received the "unspecified Error [0x80004005]" error message when trying to burn a video compilation (Compile DVDs and Movies).

If I combine the video files (chapters from a home video on DVD), I have no problems buring an .iso. If I add a slideshow with about 35 .jpgs to the combined video, I can also burn a larger .iso without a problem.

When I trim some video segments (the end of one and begiining of the next one) and then try to compile them all together with the slideshow, I get the "unspecified Error [0x80004005]" message not long after I click burn.

Anybody have any ideas, about how I can do all three things together successfully?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: The problem seems to be: when any of the video segments are trimmed at the beginning, the compilation will crash. If they are not trimmed or trimmed at the end, no problem.

10 answers to this question

I used VideWave to complete the project without problems. EMC 10 is rather slow on my system, but it does work.

Thanks to everyone for your timely advice.

EMC 10 might be slow on your system just because you have an "old system". Video rendering takes lots of time. On my system it takes almost 2 hours to render 60 minutes of video. Define what you mean by "rather slow"!

It would also be useful if you were to list your system specs, especially video card. Perhaps someone can make some recommendations on how to improve things.

After having to install Roxio twice to get a clean install (on a now newly installed XP system with no other software running), trying to understand several error messages, tech support that claims my system is old (but more than meets the requirements stated on the software box) and now having password problems logging in to this discussion forum, I'm a little frustrated with Roxio.

Anyway...

I received the "unspecified Error [0x80004005]" error message when trying to burn a video compilation (Compile DVDs and Movies).

If I combine the video files (chapters from a home video on DVD), I have no problems buring an .iso. If I add a slideshow with about 35 .jpgs to the combined video, I can also burn a larger .iso without a problem.

When I trim some video segments (the end of one and begiining of the next one) and then try to compile them all together with the slideshow, I get the "unspecified Error [0x80004005]" message not long after I click burn.

Anybody have any ideas, about how I can do all three things together successfully?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: The problem seems to be: when any of the video segments are trimmed at the beginning, the compilation will crash. If they are trimmed at the end, no problem.

It would have helped if you would have posted your computer specs. The minimum requirements are a joke for any video work; they are probably OK for audio or data management.

Make sure you are running in Software render. In Video Wave or My DVD, go to the top menu, select tools then options and then put a dot near software.

There is a minimum amount of frames that can be deleted without giving a problem. Are you trying to delete less than a second of video?

Are you using Video Wave to do the compilation with the slide show? I'm not sure what you are doing. Please explain the bolded text.

Thanks for your reply.

It would have helped if you would have posted your computer specs. The minimum requirements are a joke for any video work; they are probably OK for audio or data management.

XP Home SP3, 2.6Ghz Celeron, 1GB, DirectX 9.0c, S3 ProSavage DDR (6.14.0010.0025 - 3/2/04: this is the latest driver I know available)

Make sure you are running in Software render. In Video Wave or My DVD, go to the top menu, select tools then options and then put a dot near software.

It is running in software mode.

There is a minimum amount of frames that can be deleted without giving a problem. Are you trying to delete less than a second of video?

About 1 or 2 seconds is trimmed at the beginning of the third video segment, but if I trim the beginning of any segment for one or two seconds I get the error.

Are you using Video Wave to do the compilation with the slide show? I'm not sure what you are doing.

The Roxio Slideshow Assistant, under Photo, Create Slideshow. But the slideshow isn't causing any problems, with or without it.

Please explain the bolded text.

Good question. I have no formatting set for that text. Only the underline under "any" in the last edit paragraph.

EDIT: I tried lengthening what I was trimming at the beginning (from 1 or 2 seconds to 10 seconds), but the problem still persists. It looks as though any video trimmed at the beginning of a video segment will cause the error when I try to compile them into a single .iso.

XP Home SP3, 2.6Ghz Celeron, 1GB, DirectX 9.0c, S3 ProSavage DDR (6.14.0010.0025 - 3/2/04: this is the latest driver I know available)

It is running in software mode.

About 1 or 2 seconds is trimmed at the beginning of the third video segment, but if I trim the beginning of any segment for one or two seconds I get the error.

The Roxio Slideshow Assistant, under Photo, Create Slideshow. But the slideshow isn't causing any problems, with or without it.

Good question. I have no formatting set for that text. Only the underline under "any" in the last edit paragraph.

Step 1 toward your goal - Use Video Wave to make your slide show and to do any video editing. If that doesn't work ----

I really agree that that video chip set may not work with this program. If the computer is a desk top, consider putting in a graphics card.

I looked on the web and there seems to be several higher numbers and later dates for a chipset like yours. I don't know if they are any better. Usually laptop manufacturers tweak the chip set drivers for laptops. Go to the laptop manufacturer to get the latest first.

The bolded text in my message was to ask you to explain what you are doing in more detail since it appears that you have not listed all the steps that you are taking.

Tech support was correct in their assessment of your computer. First, it is a Celeron computer, which is low end, but it is possible to run the software. It will do video work at a snails pace.

The killer, for your machine, is that S3 onboard chip. No updated driver is going to help run the software. You need a dedicated video card. If you have an AGP slot or PCIe slot (doubtful), you could get a dedicated video card, and you might get your computer to run at a little better than a snails pace, but it should work.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try them.

The bolded text in my message was to ask you to explain what you are doing in more detail since it appears that you have not listed all the steps that you are taking.

1. Click Video, click Compile DVDs and Movies

2. Click Add Movies

3. Select any one of the video chapters (there are three in my case) shown under Individual Extras (below the Individual Movie), Click OK

4. Select a video segment, Click Preview/trim movie

5. Click Set Start (after about 1 or 2 seconds of video), Click OK

6. Click Burn

7. Click Save disk image file, Cick browse, enter file name, Click Save

8. Click OK

9. Wait for the error message.

If the video chip doesn't work with this program, why would the video compile successfully if I just trim off the ends? The problem occurs only when I trim beginnings of segments.

Tech support was correct in their assessment of your computer. First, it is a Celeron computer, which is low end, but it is possible to run the software. It will do video work at a snails pace.

The killer, for your machine, is that S3 onboard chip. No updated driver is going to help run the software. You need a dedicated video card. If you have an AGP slot or PCIe slot (doubtful), you could get a dedicated video card, and you might get your computer to run at a little better than a snails pace, but it should work.

Understood. Thanks.

I was looking at a new duo core or quad core - any suggestions for video?

Multi-core CPUs don't really make any difference when it comes to video processing. A lot of work is done by the graphics card along with the CPU.

Best bet (if you can affored it) is one of the e series Intels (they have a huge 8 MB Level 2 cache and that DOES make a difference). Also get a good middle quality graphics card

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try them.

1. Click Video, click Compile DVDs and Movies

2. Click Add Movies

3. Select any one of the video chapters (there are three in my case) shown under Individual Extras (below the Individual Movie), Click OK

4. Select a video segment, Click Preview/trim movie

5. Click Set Start (after about 1 or 2 seconds of video), Click OK

6. Click Burn

7. Click Save disk image file, Cick browse, enter file name, Click Save

8. Click OK

9. Wait for the error message.

If the video chip doesn't work with this program, why would the video compile successfully if I just trim off the ends? The problem occurs only when I trim beginnings of segments.

Understood. Thanks.

I was looking at a new duo core or quad core - any suggestions for video?

Why are you using Video Copy & Convert to do your video project?

You are really using the wrong program ro edit and assemble you video production. Videowave is much more versatile if you want to edit, etc. Video Copy & Convert is more suited to "compiling" a video that does not require much trimming.

Why are you using Video Copy & Convert to do your video project?

You are really using the wrong program ro edit and assemble you video production. Videowave is much more versatile if you want to edit, etc. Video Copy & Convert is more suited to "compiling" a video that does not require much trimming.

Yes. After looking at VideoWave just now it seems much more suitable to the task at hand. Thanks.

Archived