Itunes/ipod/toast 7

jswhite83

Question

I want to copy the contents of my ipod onto an audio DVD using Toast 7. I plug my ipod into my Imac G5 and it show up in the source list in itunes. When I try to drag my ipod contents from the Itunes source list to the Toast 7 window (audio DVD tab), it will not accept the files. I even tried to drag the individual playlists (with their songs) from Itunes source list to the toast window and it rejects it. Toast will only accept songs and only from my Itunes Llibrary (which defeat the purpose of having a subset of my library tuens on my ipod and hopefully onto an audio DVD. Any suggestions? Thanks

4 answers to this question

I'm probably the last Mac owner who doesn't yet have an iPod. It would be really helpful right now.

The "official" way to import tracks to Toast from iTunes is to use the Media Browser (click the Media button to enter the browser). There you can drag an iTunes playlist to Toast and it forms a playlist in the Music DVD window. However, since your iTunes tracks aren't Apple Lossless you'll need to use Toast 7.0.1 for the audio to be encoded at the correct speed. If you don't have 7.0.1 Roxio posted it on their Software Updates page for people to use until they release the next update.

I'm pretty sure the Media Browser won't see your iPod in the list because it reads the Library database on the hard drive. If you can copy your playlists from the iPod back to iTunes then using the Media Browser will work for you. You also can create folders of tracks on the hard drive which will act as playlists if you drag the folder to the Toast Music DVD window.

Sorry I can't do better to help with this. You also could try the iPod discussion group at discussions.apple.com. And if you need a tool to automate the transfer of tracks I'm sure you'll find something useful at http://www.dougscripts.com

I followed your advice using media browser and was able to drag entire Itune playlists into the toast DVD window (inc. the title of the playlist) Since the browser does not "see" my Ipod, I will now need to manually edit the playlists in the Toast edit window to conform with my Ipod, which is a bit of a drag. i went to the dougscripts web page you told me about and did not find anything riight on point. By the way, in reading the other posts about the audio DVD problems on Toast, I wonder if this will be worth the effort.

If these are iTunes Music Store downloads on your iPod then Toast can't do anything with them until after you use iTunes to burn them to audio CDs. Burning to an audio CD removes the copy protection from the tracks.

Also, Toast 7.0.2 has a problem with any audio format other than Apple Lossless in its Music DVD creation. So I suggest using iTunes to convert the unencrypted tracks from the iPod (or audio CD) to Apple Lossless (thereby importing them to your iTunes Library) from which Toast can accept them for creating the Music DVD.

If these are iTunes Music Store downloads on your iPod then Toast can't do anything with them until after you use iTunes to burn them to audio CDs. Burning to an audio CD removes the copy protection from the tracks.

Also, Toast 7.0.2 has a problem with any audio format other than Apple Lossless in its Music DVD creation. So I suggest using iTunes to convert the unencrypted tracks from the iPod (or audio CD) to Apple Lossless (thereby importing them to your iTunes Library) from which Toast can accept them for creating the Music DVD.

Thanks for your response. All of the songs on my ipod came from itunes. In turn, all of the music in my Itunes library comes from CDs that I own and which I imported into Itunes using whatever format to which Itunes imports defaults. None of the music comes from the Itunes store. So none of it is encrypted. What is weird is that I can drag songs directly from the Itunes library to the Toast window. But I cant't drag them from my Ipod (when plugged in to the computer and shown in the source list) I also can't drag the playlists from my Itunes source list to the windows. If this cant be done then I must create new "playlists" in the toast window. Any suggestions?

I'm probably the last Mac owner who doesn't yet have an iPod. It would be really helpful right now.

The "official" way to import tracks to Toast from iTunes is to use the Media Browser (click the Media button to enter the browser). There you can drag an iTunes playlist to Toast and it forms a playlist in the Music DVD window. However, since your iTunes tracks aren't Apple Lossless you'll need to use Toast 7.0.1 for the audio to be encoded at the correct speed. If you don't have 7.0.1 Roxio posted it on their Software Updates page for people to use until they release the next update.

I'm pretty sure the Media Browser won't see your iPod in the list because it reads the Library database on the hard drive. If you can copy your playlists from the iPod back to iTunes then using the Media Browser will work for you. You also can create folders of tracks on the hard drive which will act as playlists if you drag the folder to the Toast Music DVD window.

Sorry I can't do better to help with this. You also could try the iPod discussion group at discussions.apple.com. And if you need a tool to automate the transfer of tracks I'm sure you'll find something useful at http://www.dougscripts.com

Archived